Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

david mcnally... why norwich??

i have been thinking about this appointment

i dont understand of why someone with such a high profile job in the premiership has decided to leave that position to join a team 2 leauges lower.

not only this i have read somewhere arsenal were also interested in securing his services .

surely a club like norwich could not afford to match the wages of either premiership club so what is this man gaining comming to us rather than staying where he was or going to arsenal .

i also read delia said he may join the board but we may talk about that later .

i just wonder what deal was offered for him to be so keen on joinning a club that is in such a muddle other than the guy loves a challenge .

[quote user="singing canary"]

i dont understand of why someone with such a high profile job in the premiership has decided to leave that position to join a team 2 leauges lower.

not only this i have read somewhere arsenal were also interested in securing his services .

surely a club like norwich could not afford to match the wages of either premiership club so what is this man gaining comming to us rather than staying where he was or going to arsenal .

i just wonder what deal was offered for him to be so keen on joinning a club that is in such a muddle other than the guy loves a challenge .

[/quote]

Yup! I''m ever so very curious, too....[^o)]

could it  be possible he is buying into the club or knows someone who may and his being here is part of the deal or am i reading to much into this .

im also curious mello

could it  be possible he is buying into the club or knows someone who may and his being here is part of the deal or am i reading to much into this .

im also curious mello

[/quote]  That is what i am thinking cos it doesn''t add up. Remember reading a quote from Cullum saying he would appoint someone cos he wouldn''t have the time. But could be putting 2 and 2 together and being wider of the mark than Jamie C!!

Way out theory but he knows Mohammed Al Fayed, who also has access to other countless rich men and women.. he isn''t on the board but is he a front for a possible takke over?

jas :)

im fairly sure he would be on alot more money at wigan  .

and if he was aware that arsenal wanted him surely a big premiership giant that is playing european football every season could offer him a bigger package .

he said one of the main reasons was norwich fan base , if it was fan base that made him choose then arsenals gate makes ours look somewhat tiny .

I''m also curious as to how NCFC are now punching well above their weight in CEO terms, and what this may mean in terms of future investment into the club.

Although it has been mentioned in that he was responsible for the recruitment of Roy Hodgson at Fulham, I''m aslo very curious how involved David McNally was in the appointment of Laurie Sanchez and Les Reed which almost turned out to be an complete disaster for them.

I personally think it is a terrific appointment on many different levels, most of which have been / are being debated elsewhere.

However it does raise more questions;

Likes to appoint his own managers and work very closely with them yet he hasn''t even met Gunny.

May or may not be joining the Board, we will have to talk about that? Surely that would have been involved in the interviews / negotiations, would make a significant difference to the post and the remuneration?

New board member / s due in short while (can''t say too much)

Something going on?

Perhaps he''s on a huge bonus, a large percentage of any increase in turnover/profit?Other clubs mentioned are probably at or near the top of their earning potential, so wouldn''t be able to offer this. it''s possible he has enough self-belief to take on the challenge if the rewards are there.Although I suspect he may know something we don''t .........

[quote user="ron obvious"]

Perhaps he''s on a huge bonus, a large percentage of any increase in turnover/profit?
Other clubs mentioned are probably at or near the top of their earning potential, so wouldn''t be able to offer this. it''s possible he has enough self-belief to take on the challenge if the rewards are there.

Although I suspect he may know something we don''t .........
[/quote]

What I got from the news was his thought process;

• We have alot of supporters, big fan base geographically, we''ll call them customers / potential customers,
  • I could increase the amount of business the club does with these customers by encouraging them to buy into the brand for many other different products I could supply,
  • The best way to get customers to buy into the brand and give me their money is to win football games.

Thats what I got from the news reports. I''m happy if we are winning, or at least in a departure from the recent past, trying hard to win.

Hopefully he has joined NCFC and will engineer a hostile takeover from within! Getting rid of Delia and Wynn-Jones and bringing in an entire new board full of investment.David McNally is a great appointment and the silver lining to the relegation dark clouds. One thing that im confident about is that come christmas if were not at least in the top 6 Gunn will be gone, McNally will make sure of it.Ive been saying for years now that the main reason we have fallen is that fact that we have a cook for an owner as opposed to a hard nosed Alan Sugar type businessman, like most other clubs. We need a man at the top who demands results and success and if he doesnt get it makes the tough ruthless decisions until he does. A CEO that demands meetings with the players if they dont perform and threatens to rip up there contracts unless they do better.This is what we need and this is what will make this great club great again.

[quote user="The Voice Of Reason"]

[quote user="ron obvious"]Perhaps he''s on a huge bonus, a large percentage of any increase in turnover/profit?Other clubs mentioned are probably at or near the top of their earning potential, so wouldn''t be able to offer this. it''s possible he has enough self-belief to take on the challenge if the rewards are there.Although I suspect he may know something we don''t .........[/quote]

• We have alot of supporters, big fan base geographically, we''ll call them customers / potential customers,
  • I could increase the amount of business the club does with these customers by encouraging them to buy into the brand for many other different products I could supply,
  • The best way to get customers to buy into the brand and give me their money is to win football games.

Thats what I got from the news reports. I''m happy if we are winning, or at least in a departure from the recent past, trying hard to win.

[/quote]I love this qoute. It smacks of a hard nosed successful businessman. Can you ever imagine Delia saying something like this?It tells me that the guy has business acumen, knows how successful football clubs operate and knows where were going wrong. Im really optimistic now about our future.This season could be fantastic, a nice little jolly in league 1, wins every week, hopefully the return of Hucks, the blossoming of Cody and Martin, the staying of Hoolahan! Oh good times ahead i can feel it.Seriously tho McNally is exactly what this club needs. A businessman to make Norwich a successful business again.

[quote user="The Voice Of Reason"]

[quote user="ron obvious"]

Perhaps he''s on a huge bonus, a large percentage of any increase in turnover/profit?
Other clubs mentioned are probably at or near the top of their earning potential, so wouldn''t be able to offer this. it''s possible he has enough self-belief to take on the challenge if the rewards are there.

Although I suspect he may know something we don''t .........
[/quote]

[/quote]

Mr McNally clasps the microphone...."Ladies and Gentleman...It is my greatest pleasure to announce to you all, that I''m able bring you - Norwich''s very own"....''THE  STADIUM!''...This announcement brought to you all - from the master lounge of the glorious ''Al Fayed Stand'' - with the superb fare supplied by ''Delia''s Catering''....Please enjoy"....

Nah, surely not?

doncaster was on 180k a year, thats the 3rd best around (im sure I heard that somewhere) in england, and even the ''big'' 4 pay less! EVEN ARSENAL!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]doncaster was on 180k a year, thats the 3rd best around (im sure I heard that somewhere) in england, and even the ''big'' 4 pay less! EVEN ARSENAL![/quote]

Have you been hanging around with those soft fruits again?[;)]

Whilst this may be a good appointment, he left Fulham last year and whilst at the time there was talk of Arsenal interested in him there was also talk that he had been sacked from Fulham.

Prior to this appointment he has been a self employed consultant. make of that what you will.

On an optimistic note, he does appear to have much better qualifications for the job then Doomy ever had and I am hoping that perhaps he took this job because one of the new directors being announced shortly will be someone who could make a real difference.

Oh well we can only hope!!

I understand that a number of premiership CEOs are on 7 figure sums. It is difficult to believe that NCFC can compete with a premiership salary so the background to the decision is interesting. I certainly don''t think he would have joined if he thougth administration was an imminent threat and I suspect he would have wanted assurances on future financing. Hopefully this means the club has some new benefactors in the pipeline.

Good appointment but brings up more questions than answers,Why Norwich? How much is he getting? Is something about to happen down at Carrow Road regarding take overs or investment? Why do our press conferences make you want to go to sleep?....

Maybe we are all wanting change so much that this little bit of good news is making us all dream again that we are about to move forward! Yet again it''s wait and see time for us fans,who needs Eastenders or the Street when you can support Norwich City, it''s the biggest soap opera going!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]doncaster was on 180k a year, thats the 3rd best around (im sure I heard that somewhere) in england, and even the ''big'' 4 pay less! EVEN ARSENAL![/quote]

you''d be suprised at how strict Arsenals Wage structure is..... financially they are the only top 4 side to make a profit year on year... they do this by not paying stupid amounts to players or staff.....

jas :)

He was sales and managing director at Celtic and managing director at Fulham. Cheif executive is top dog in the structure. Seems fairly obvious to me, similar to an assistant manager or coach stepping down a league or two to become a manager.

[/quote]

I thought that he was unemployed before joining Norwich. I wasn''t impressed by him in his press conference. I thought he really struggled through it. I thought he looked lost and Delia & WMJ didn''t look very happy at his performance.

[quote user="Metatron"]"Oh I do love a good conspiracy"

So much so that you like to start the theories whenever possible![/quote]Show me when he has started a good conspiracy.Just utter carp ones :)