Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

I don't like being an exile!!

I have come to realise what it feels like to be a Norwich fan stuck away from the greatest city on earth!  Now I''m back at uni I have got major football withdrawl symptoms, bottom of the league or not!  I''m aching to get back to Carrow road and see the lads play again.  What''s worse though is that I haven''t yet got the net in my house so the only Norwich news I can get is the pathetically small coverage they have on ceefax!!  It''s coming in a few days but which I''m glad as I''ve missed the board in the last few weeks.

I made the mistake the other day of wearing my Norwich shirt around Pompey.  I got the odd funny look and nearly got started on in the pub!  All for the Norwich cause!  Never mind, the locals are pretty friendly on the whole.

Does anybody have canaries world by the way?  I''m thinking of getting it but heard the service is pretty shoddy?

See ya soon

DD

Wear that shirt with pride DD, just make sure you never wear it when you''re on your own.

I only wish Norwich was the greatest city on earth, then I might reconsider being an exile...

I had canaries world a couple of seasons ago when it first came out but would have to say it was a waste of £35 or however much it was!!

I find I get more than enough info on norwich with official site, pinkun, sky, teamtalk, bbc, etc!!  If you want to see the goals, you''d be better off subscribing to sky, although I appreciate its quite expensive!

Have you found any other exiles in Portsmouth!  See if you can get a group together!  I''m in a group with midlands canaries and it can make it easier to get back to carra for the home games!

I''ve been an exile of various locations for over 20 years now - and I remember the spell at University as being one of the hardest, mostly because I couldn''t afford to travel at weekends (both cash, studies and alternative distractions!)

Stick with it - we''re a select group, and my experiences say that fellow Canaries pop up in the oddest places - even more so these days that in some of the dimmer and more distant parts of our history.

In terms of keeping up to date then this website and forum is far and away the best way for an exile to do so, and look out for the London fixtures. Shame that Pompey away will be when you''re on holiday back in Norfolk no doubt!!

I am in my second season with canaries world, living here in Helsinki I am far removed from things going on in the great city- Last season I just had a standard modem connection and the result was not too good.

However now I have moved up to broad band 1mg the speed is fine and I can listen to the live commentary''s and see the match highlights pretty well. I am now satisfied with canaries world with this high speed connection.

I feel exactly the same as DD, stuck here in Birmimgham. I subscribe to Canaries World - but only the "Match Live" bit, so really all I can do is listen to Roy and that''s it - but I believe it is value for money.

I wore my Norwich shirt out last week and got a few odd looks, and the people who commented all asked what OTBC meant below my number...

Wondered where you had got to DD - welcome back. Well i was in a similar boat not so long ago! Messed around at uni for 6 years in all and for the most part i actually had some great times as an away fan with a group of us that got together. We used to go to loads of away games but then again, we were in the north west and every other away game was up there or within reach at the time. Tranmere, Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Preston, Burnley, Stoke, Crewe, Port Vale, Huddersfield... Whenever one went down another nearby came up! Was a pretty dire time for the club mind, 95-01! In fact, some of its darkest days as we know, but that''s not to say there aren''t some good memories of going to the games.

As brum canary says, see if you can get a group together then it''s easier to spread the travel costs if one has a car.

Good luck!

I subscribe to Canaries World     6/10

I subscribe to The Official Text Alerts     7/10

I subscribe to the Pink''un   9/10

but believe me, I still feel isolated, If you live in or around Norwich you are very lucky and I am very jealous.

I don''t like being an exile.

You lot should try being exiled out of England, can''t even see the goals on MOTD!  For what it''s worth I think that Canaries World is good value for money although I don''t get to see very many games here and Roy''s commentary is normally the only way I can find out what is going on back in the motherland...

[quote]Wear that shirt with pride DD, just make sure you never wear it when you''re on your own. I only wish Norwich was the greatest city on earth, then I might reconsider being an exile...[/quote]

bananaman

name a better one or move back! 

[quote]I have come to realise what it feels like to be a Norwich fan stuck away from the greatest city on earth! Now I''m back at uni I have got major football withdrawl symptoms, bottom of the league or not...[/quote]

DD

so you are back at uni then?

when is your next home game, let me know and we can have another drink and a chat in squares!  All the best for this year''s work   lol 

As for canaries world, i can access it via a mate who does subscribe, it''s okay, but not vital for those of us who are on here all the time, the main attraction being commentary via roy and neil, plus all the goals and action from old games from a couple of seasons ago, the rest is real take it or leave it stuff really

Uni memories, I remember wearing my shirt at Lancaster in fresher week in 1992 - that weekend the short trip to Blackburn to watch a 1-7 defeat in the top of the table clash. A lot of Blackburn lads went to Lancaster. But keep the faith - like me at the end of that season you will have the last laugh

u should come home for all the games

i drive home from coventry for every home game... costs me a fortune, but who cares, its football. I just spend my loan on football and beer, then live off happy shopper baked beans and cheap bread

Wear one of my City shirts every Sunday night for a local game of fives up here in Scotland. After comments of "Norwich, who are they?" I now get the comment "Oh, another draw then - when are your guys going to win?"

My favourite of the two has to be the "egg and cress" one. Unfortunately it does look rather like a Celtic shirt of old as well.

[quote]DD so you are back at uni then? when is your next home game, let me know and we can have another drink and a chat in squares! All the best for this year''s work lol As for canaries world, i ...[/quote]

Hey gazza

Yeah I''m back at uni now.  Yesterday I finally got the net hooked up in house.  Ntl came round and wrecked the place! Never mind. 

Not sure when my next game will be.  Hopefully I''ll make it home in a few weeks so probably something like Blackburn at home.  Pretty hopeful of getting Charlton away tickets which would be great too