Sign in to follow this  
Yellow15

Sky Sports Website...

I may be slightley behind but just went on the sky sports website and we are now officially under league one it really hits home seeing the crest next to oldham and Mk dons .. sorry it just needed to be said ... its the same of saky sports news now championship comes up i expect to see us every time it hits me. Just wonderd if this was the same for everyone else?

[quote user="Yellow15"]I may be slightley behind but just went on the sky sports website and we are now officially under league one it really hits home seeing the crest next to oldham and Mk dons .. sorry it just needed to be said ... its the same of saky sports news now championship comes up i expect to see us every time it hits me. Just wonderd if this was the same for everyone else?[/quote]

It hit home for me when the final whistle blew at the valley. It really isnt a hard concept to understand.

[quote user="Yellow15"]I may be slightley behind but just went on the sky sports website and we are now officially under league one it really hits home seeing the crest next to oldham and Mk dons .. sorry it just needed to be said ... its the same of saky sports news now championship comes up i expect to see us every time it hits me. Just wonderd if this was the same for everyone else?[/quote]

In fairness, MK Dons will at some stage in the future be one of the biggest clubs in the country.

...also, why pick on Oldham and MK Dons, who until relatively recently (ok, in a different incarnation for the latter) were decent sides and had spells in the top flight?  There are far better sides to use as a yardstick for how low things have got - no disrespect to any of them, but Exeter, Wycombe, Hartlepool or Yeovil do that job pretty well.  Each are decent enough sides in their own right, and more than worthy of their status, but even so we''d have hoped to be higher than them in the footballing world.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people take a bit of media hype and are still running with it all these years later- MK Dons is just another club like all the rest of us. It is not super rich. It is not a franchise. It was just allowed to be moved and renamed to save the FA the embarresment of having a club so high up the pyramid go under and stop trading. There was only one option that didn''t involve the club completly ending. A move had to happen as they had no home. The name change came later as an agreement between the old fans, the new owners and the authorities.The new owners got what they wanted which was football in MK and a team to justify the building of the stadium... but the villification of the people behind the move is stupid, they looked at other clubs before Wimbledon but the move was not right for those clubs- they were in trouble financially but not to the extent that they would have benefitted from what the new owners needed to do in order to be able to get involved. Things change in football pretty fast- some of those teams went on to find other investors that have worked well and others that have not.Given the situation Wimbledon was in I would have rather someone picked up the pieces and made something out of them rather than just watched the club stop- if it were my team.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]It never ceases to amaze me how some people take a bit of media hype and are still running with it all these years later- MK Dons is just another club like all the rest of us. It is not super rich. It is not a franchise. It was just allowed to be moved and renamed to save the FA the embarresment of having a club so high up the pyramid go under and stop trading. There was only one option that didn''t involve the club completly ending. A move had to happen as they had no home. The name change came later as an agreement between the old fans, the new owners and the authorities.
The new owners got what they wanted which was football in MK and a team to justify the building of the stadium... but the villification of the people behind the move is stupid, they looked at other clubs before Wimbledon but the move was not right for those clubs- they were in trouble financially but not to the extent that they would have benefitted from what the new owners needed to do in order to be able to get involved. Things change in football pretty fast- some of those teams went on to find other investors that have worked well and others that have not.
Given the situation Wimbledon was in I would have rather someone picked up the pieces and made something out of them rather than just watched the club stop- if it were my team.
[/quote]

So you would rather a new club called FC Canaries was started in Kent then for Norwich City to go bankrupt?

Because if several thousand people started a fan owned club called AFC Norwich City and started again from scratch in Norwich (e.g. AFC Wimbledon) at the bottom of the football ladder I know which one I would support. And I know which I would want to have the league cup trophies.

Its ok saying that they had no home, but AFC Wimbledon bought a ground within a year, and are now in the Conference. They are 75% fan owned and will always be 75% fan owned, I cant wait for them to get back in the football league.

FC Canaries of london commuter belt or AFC Norwich of Norwich........ I know which one I would support.

MK Dons = The ideology of the plastic armchair fan.

In my opinion the FA made Wimbledon go to the bottom of English football so that some corporate millionaire could start a club in Milton Keynes, a move that could potentially bring him a lot of profit.

When AFC Wimbledon are in league two (and I put my own money into them by the way), I will look at the league table with my hand on my heart and say that THEY are the club that won the FA Cup in 1988.

[quote user="Yellow15"]I may be slightley behind but just went on the sky sports website and we are now officially under league one it really hits home seeing the crest next to oldham and Mk dons .. sorry it just needed to be said ... its the same of saky sports news now championship comes up i expect to see us every time it hits me. Just wonderd if this was the same for everyone else?[/quote]Mk Dons and oldham have more ambition then us!! we are talking about consolidation!

[quote user="ryan85k"]

So you would rather a new club called FC Canaries was started in Kent then for Norwich City to go bankrupt?

Because if several thousand people started a fan owned club called AFC Norwich City and started again from scratch in Norwich (e.g. AFC Wimbledon) at the bottom of the football ladder I know which one I would support. And I know which I would want to have the league cup trophies.

Its ok saying that they had no home, but AFC Wimbledon bought a ground within a year, and are now in the Conference. They are 75% fan owned and will always be 75% fan owned, I cant wait for them to get back in the football league.

FC Canaries of london commuter belt or AFC Norwich of Norwich........ I know which one I would support.

In my opinion the FA made Wimbledon go to the bottom of English football so that some corporate millionaire could start a club in Milton Keynes, a move that could potentially bring him a lot of profit.

When AFC Wimbledon are in league two (and I put my own money into them by the way), I will look at the league table with my hand on my heart and say that THEY are the club that won the FA Cup in 1988.

[/quote]

Excellent post Ryan [Y]

[quote user="ryan85k"]

It hit home for me when the final whistle blew at the valley. It really isnt a hard concept to understand.

[/quote]

Think you''ve missed the point Ryan.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]It never ceases to amaze me how some people take a bit of media hype and are still running with it all these years later- MK Dons is just another club like all the rest of us. It is not super rich. It is not a franchise. It was just allowed to be moved and renamed to save the FA the embarresment of having a club so high up the pyramid go under and stop trading. There was only one option that didn''t involve the club completly ending. A move had to happen as they had no home. The name change came later as an agreement between the old fans, the new owners and the authorities.The new owners got what they wanted which was football in MK and a team to justify the building of the stadium... but the villification of the people behind the move is stupid, they looked at other clubs before Wimbledon but the move was not right for those clubs- they were in trouble financially but not to the extent that they would have benefitted from what the new owners needed to do in order to be able to get involved. Things change in football pretty fast- some of those teams went on to find other investors that have worked well and others that have not.Given the situation Wimbledon was in I would have rather someone picked up the pieces and made something out of them rather than just watched the club stop- if it were my team.[/quote]

[/quote]My point is that both clubs get to exist- and you get a choice! The ground that AFC Wimbledon bought would not have been allowed in the championship- so that argument doesn''t work.If you put your hand on your heart and say that AFC Wimbledon won the 1988 FA Cup you''re asking for it to stop beatig cos they didn''t...they were formed 15+ years later from nothing. The MK Dons did not win that trophy either- I always thought it was bizare and retarded that the FA had the replica handed over to AFC- I agree it should have been given back when the transformation was completed but not given to a club that had NOTHING to do with that victory... hell NCFC at least TOOK PART in that competition- why not give it to us!!I do not think for a minute that Wimbledon fans should support MK over AFC. I would not expect Norwich fans to support the ''FC Canaries'' in your example but I would keep an eye on how they do and would rather have those couple of extra seasons to set up the replacement team.As an aside- do you think you would feel the same about the move to kent if we''d been playing at Portman Rd for the last 10 years and they had kicked us out leaving us so skint we couldn''t negotiate a deal with Colchester?It''s sad that a club had to be going under for the MK team to happen. But they were going anyway... the only push they got was from the ''fans'' all bar about 3500 stopped going to matches years before they moved. People claim that the MK Dons could have been started from a low pyramid club in the area- but this is fantasy because the investment wasn''t there- the MK Chairman is not an Abramovic, he is someone who is brilliant at getting people behind a cause and raising funds to make things happen- how do you think he got Ince and Di Matteo and the others there? Do you really think it''s huge pay cheques alone (I doubt they are even the biggest payers in that league)? Ultimately what we have now is more football fans in the UK and a really great stadium for them to attend, a well organised grass roots system in a previously untapped area and investment in local sport and business- none of these things were happening under the old club by the end.My point is purely that people bang on about ''Franchise FC'' and ''Super rich MK''- they are neither of these things, they are a real football club run in the right way. Those few Wimbledon supporters that were left have AFC, and good luck to them. That was their only option for a club in their area either way. So the net result of the whole situation- two options: 1. AFC Wimbledon at the bottom of the pyramid - made harder to arrange as anyone with any business ties to the old club would have been barred from helping either by bankrupcy legislation or financially damaged by the colapse of the old business rather than it having been ''sold on''.2. AFC Wimbledon at the bottom of the pyramid & a profesional club servicing a new comunity with a large, young population with no current stucture or local team.As a Wimbledon supporter you would be gutted about what had happened to your club (either way) and would support AFC (once they were operational.. in the mean time maybe get on those free coaches and go up to MK?). As a football supporter you should be able to see the bigger picture and accept that the best possible result happened.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]It never ceases to amaze me how some people take a bit of media hype and are still running with it all these years later- MK Dons is just another club like all the rest of us. It is not super rich. It is not a franchise. It was just allowed to be moved and renamed to save the FA the embarresment of having a club so high up the pyramid go under and stop trading. There was only one option that didn''t involve the club completly ending. A move had to happen as they had no home. The name change came later as an agreement between the old fans, the new owners and the authorities.
The new owners got what they wanted which was football in MK and a team to justify the building of the stadium... but the villification of the people behind the move is stupid, they looked at other clubs before Wimbledon but the move was not right for those clubs- they were in trouble financially but not to the extent that they would have benefitted from what the new owners needed to do in order to be able to get involved. Things change in football pretty fast- some of those teams went on to find other investors that have worked well and others that have not.
Given the situation Wimbledon was in I would have rather someone picked up the pieces and made something out of them rather than just watched the club stop- if it were my team.
[/quote]

I will look at the league table with my hand on my heart and say that THEY are the club that won the FA Cup in 1988.

[/quote]

You would look very silly then.....because they didnt!!!!

AFC Wimbledon wasnt invented when the real Wimbledon won the FA Cup in 1988

Yellow Shirt - Your arguement hinges on one item, which appears to be that "Wimbledon were going bust anyway", even if this was a fact (rather than an opinion), it begs the question how much money has been pumped in the franchise known as MK Dons (I suspect rather a lot) and why the money was not used to save Wimbledon and allow them to continue in their traditional home of south London.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Yellow Shirt - Your arguement hinges on one item, which appears to be that "Wimbledon were going bust anyway", even if this was a fact (rather than an opinion), it begs the question how much money has been pumped in the franchise known as MK Dons (I suspect rather a lot) and why the money was not used to save Wimbledon and allow them to continue in their traditional home of south London.[/quote]It''s not my opinion- a football team with nowhere to play that the authorities would accept was about to cease to exist. The money was not pumped into Wimbledon because there was no interest in doing so- the vast majority of that money has come from MK businesses and from banks not from the pocket of an individual. That money did not exist for a failing club in south london. I don''t mean the consortium didn''t want to spend it on south London- they did not have it unless there was a club coming to MK. The only way to let there still be a professional football club was to move to MK.I do not pretend to know everything about this deal but I had several conversations with people who really knew the ins and outs of it at the time- the MK owners got what they wanted- but it was the only way they could help a club.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]...also, why pick on Oldham and MK Dons, who until relatively recently (ok, in a different incarnation for the latter) were decent sides and had spells in the top flight?  There are far better sides to use as a yardstick for how low things have got - no disrespect to any of them, but Exeter, Wycombe, Hartlepool or Yeovil do that job pretty well.  Each are decent enough sides in their own right, and more than worthy of their status, but even so we''d have hoped to be higher than them in the footballing world.[/quote]A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y ZMK DonsNorwich CityOldham AthleticDo you understand what he means now?

Yellow Shirt - Why do I get the impression you are one of those "MK Businesses"?[:D] Surely the fact that AFC Wimbledon were formed shows there was some intrest (admittedly only from fans and we know how little their opinion counts these days). Whatever the arguements, you cannot fail to be inspired by the fact that AFC Wimbledon have managed to progress as they have, with a fraction of the investment received by "the franchise".

I totally agree with you on the admiration for the AFC guys- I wish them all the best and I think that they too have a proper football club to be proud of- I just don''t believe there is any need to have bad feeling towards MK- which is also a proper club and not what so may claimed it to be. The football world is better for having BOTH of these clubs!There was interest of course- just not financially to the levels that were needed to keep the old club going as it was, I just get wound up by the ''Franchise'' label as it is so inaccurate- those franchises are all about upping and moving teams all the time- the MK ideal was to bring a stable club to grow within a community... kind of the opposite- the idea of uprooting the club again would probably give the directors a heart attack!!Oh- no I''m not one of the businesses but do have some pretty strong ties. Have never put my money into MK Dons directly as I''m a City fan- but I do support what they are doing and have a lot of time for those involved... having heard both sides of the story.:)

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]I totally agree with you on the admiration for the AFC guys- I wish them all the best and I think that they too have a proper football club to be proud of- I just don''t believe there is any need to have bad feeling towards MK- which is also a proper club and not what so may claimed it to be. The football world is better for having BOTH of these clubs!
There was interest of course- just not financially to the levels that were needed to keep the old club going as it was, I just get wound up by the ''Franchise'' label as it is so inaccurate- those franchises are all about upping and moving teams all the time- the MK ideal was to bring a stable club to grow within a community... kind of the opposite- the idea of uprooting the club again would probably give the directors a heart attack!!
Oh- no I''m not one of the businesses but do have some pretty strong ties. Have never put my money into MK Dons directly as I''m a City fan- but I do support what they are doing and have a lot of time for those involved... having heard both sides of the story.
:)
[/quote]

The simple fact of the matter is that the fans of AFC Wimbledon raised £4m + to purchase the club and the ground. That £4m would have been enough to keep Wimbledon going.

You also fail to acknowledge that this ''new'' club called MK Dons cost a conference team a place in League football. Like clubs that have been wound up before them, e.g. Accrington Stanley, they should have been made to start again from the bottom of league football.

Look at how far AFC Wimbledon have progressed, a third successive promotion next year would see them in League Two, and possibly one division below MK Dons. And you have the cheek to sit their and bleat on about how good the MK Dons board are at business?

And it WAS AFC WIMBLEDON that won the FA Cup in 1988. And you want to know why? because it is the same supporters of AFC Wimbledon that ARE WIMBLEDON FC.

In 1988 all money in football was fan generated, in those days the fans were the club. A club is its fans. AFC Wimbledon are Wimbledon FC with a new ground and a new name. This has been formally acknowledged by former players, the FA and almost every decent football fan in the country.

I will spend money on AFC Wimbledon every year as a matter of principle, last year I bought some tickets to a club event and then donated them to charity. This year I will buy a replica shirt.

I also refuse to ever go to the MK Stadium. And you know what, I am incredibly proud of that principle, that I will uphold for my entire life.

Here''s an idea! Why not just start a club in MK and put the funds behind it to progress up through the league structure? Why take the name and tradition of one club and transplant it to a place where it has no links whatsoever?

MK Dons are and always will be Franchise FC and fully deserve all the ridicule directed at them. It might not  be logical or even fair but when has football ever been either of those things? Being a football fan is an instinctive and visceral thing and instictively the idea of supporting a team that has moved from it''s home to a place totally unconnected to it revolts me.

To answer the original post I felt the same way, as soon as I started to see our name in the league one section of websites and sky sports news it really hit me with full force that next season we will be playing 3rd division football, not at all pleasant! 

[quote user="NXCanary"]

Here''s an idea! Why not just start a club in MK and put the funds behind it to progress up through the league structure? Why take the name and tradition of one club and transplant it to a place where it has no links whatsoever?

MK Dons are and always will be Franchise FC and fully deserve all the ridicule directed at them. It might not  be logical or even fair but when has football ever been either of those things? Being a football fan is an instinctive and visceral thing and instictively the idea of supporting a team that has moved from it''s home to a place totally unconnected to it revolts me.

To answer the original post I felt the same way, as soon as I started to see our name in the league one section of websites and sky sports news it really hit me with full force that next season we will be playing 3rd division football, not at all pleasant! 

[/quote]

Spot on

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]...also, why pick on Oldham and MK Dons, who until relatively recently (ok, in a different incarnation for the latter) were decent sides and had spells in the top flight?  There are far better sides to use as a yardstick for how low things have got - no disrespect to any of them, but Exeter, Wycombe, Hartlepool or Yeovil do that job pretty well.  Each are decent enough sides in their own right, and more than worthy of their status, but even so we''d have hoped to be higher than them in the footballing world.[/quote]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z

MK Dons
Norwich City
Oldham Athletic

Do you understand what he means now?
[/quote]

Jeez thank you thats all i ment ! good banter though :)

NXC- the funds didn''t exist to do that... the investment wasn''t possible to put into a bottom of the pyramid club as I mentioned before. Most of the MK Dons money hinged on the new stadium being built for professional football.Ryan- you and I will never see eye to eye on this. To me you come across as someone with their fingers in their ears refusing to listen to things you don''t want to be true. The thread has been hijacked by this (my bad- sorry) lets leave it there shall we?

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]...also, why pick on Oldham and MK Dons, who until relatively recently (ok, in a different incarnation for the latter) were decent sides and had spells in the top flight?  There are far better sides to use as a yardstick for how low things have got - no disrespect to any of them, but Exeter, Wycombe, Hartlepool or Yeovil do that job pretty well.  Each are decent enough sides in their own right, and more than worthy of their status, but even so we''d have hoped to be higher than them in the footballing world.[/quote]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z

MK Dons
Norwich City
Oldham Athletic

Do you understand what he means now?
[/quote]

I realised what was being said, but perhaps inferred that I didn''t....but equally I wasn''t aware that the Board Police would be watching!

I was merely pointing out that both those sides were in the top flight/far higher up the league until relatively recently, so I can''t really see why us being in the same league as them is necessarily so bad - there are far better sides to use to show our demise.

I think most football supporters will agree that MK Don got into the league through the ''back door''

A football club is about it''s fans, players, managers, boards & owners come and go, but the fans remain.

I know there were not many of ''um but I feel truly sorry for the Wimbledon fans.