Sign in to follow this  
Hucks6

TAKEOVER (NOTTS COUNTY)

Cannot believe it NOTTS COUNTY in talks with middle east consortium.Has all these people never heard of little old Narrwich what chance have we got if Notts County can attract these people.Look like Delia appointed the wrong people to find people to buy or put money into our club.We CAN ONLY HOPE ?

I really cant see how county have got investment!!! I live in nottingham, and after watching a game, I really cant say that they have a big fan base, even for league 2. THe only thing they have going for them is a large ground for the level they are at!!

[quote user="Hucks6"]Cannot believe it NOTTS COUNTY in talks with middle east consortium.Has all these people never heard of little old Narrwich what chance have we got if Notts County can attract these people.Look like Delia appointed the wrong people to find people to buy or put money into our club.We CAN ONLY HOPE ?
[/quote]

I am sure they have heard of Norwich but the main man behind the consortium was born in Nottingham and claims to have been a supporter since childhood.

[quote user="NottsCanary"]I really cant see how county have got investment!!! I live in nottingham, and after watching a game, I really cant say that they have a big fan base, even for league 2. THe only thing they have going for them is a large ground for the level they are at!![/quote]

That and being the world''s oldest Football League club.......sounds like marketing possibilities to me if you have the money to promote it.

Arabs are big on tradition. Notts Co are the oldest club in the country I believe(?) which would carry considerable kudos

well done Cam and IBA, joint winners of the "clutching at straws" award for this year.

with everything that it appears the mighty Notts Co have got going for them it''s just a wonder no-ones picked up this marketing dream earlier surely?

Having followed Notts County as my second club for 12 years through having a dad who is a fanatic fan i have to say they might not have a huge fan base but it is not bad for league 2, in fact quite high, and considering Forest are over the river it cant be easy.  They have a great ground and facilites but the main point is that they have a chairman who is controversial but determined, hard nosed and used every contact he has to try and secure funding and a future for Notts.  He never aimed low and has always been looking for serious large investment.  He certainly has not been popular with all fans but if this comes off and works he will be! Yes Notts do have marketing potential which hasnt really been picked up on in the past to be honest, and i would think are easier and cheaper to take over than Norwich.  However, the chairman has put everthing in to making this opportunity possible and not been held back by the idea that fans might not like him, or indeed other people on the board but has seen that only serious investment will help a club in serious trouble.  Sound familiar....

[quote user="CatNcfc"]

Having followed Notts County as my second club for 12 years through having a dad who is a fanatic fan i have to say they might not have a huge fan base but it is not bad for league 2, in fact quite high, and considering Forest are over the river it cant be easy.  They have a great ground and facilites but the main point is that they have a chairman who is controversial but determined, hard nosed and used every contact he has to try and secure funding and a future for Notts.  He never aimed low and has always been looking for serious large investment.  He certainly has not been popular with all fans but if this comes off and works he will be! Yes Notts do have marketing potential which hasnt really been picked up on in the past to be honest, and i would think are easier and cheaper to take over than Norwich.  However, the chairman has put everthing in to making this opportunity possible and not been held back by the idea that fans might not like him, or indeed other people on the board but has seen that only serious investment will help a club in serious trouble.  Sound familiar....

[/quote] how long has it taken him to find this investment?

Sheffield FC (no relation to Wednesday or United) the oldest football club; Notts County the oldest league club.Notts County were in administration for 18 months until the end of 2003. Would be interesting if anyone knows what the debt - if any - is now.

We did a piece earlier today.  Their current debt is just over a million.  Saved by their fans, of course, who are the majority shareholders and who now have to hand it all back if they want the money.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]We did a piece earlier today.  Their current debt is just over a million.  Saved by their fans, of course, who are the majority shareholders and who now have to hand it all back if they want the money.[/quote]Thanks, Cam. My question was actually far more interesting than I thought when I asked it!

Their debt is thought to be just under a million but covered by directors loans and the club seems to be financially fairly sound for once.  They were rescued from administration by the late great Haydn Green who gave them 2.3 million.  However the club have not paid for any players in the last 5 years apart from 2 non league players for £5000 each.

[quote user="crafty canary"]

We''re lil'' old Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaarwich, we don''t want any of that dodgy Arab money!!

You leave my toy alone.

[/quote]

Unless you know better I don''t think you were asked on this occasion. 

I do have to laugh when I hear that Notts County is the oldest football club in the UK (world?) If that is the case, who did they play against*?

*Pedant Clause

Yes, I know it''s concievable that the clubs that played against back in the 1800s no longer exist today.

They are the Worlds oldest fully professional football club there are older clubs such as Sheffield FC and Cambridge University but they are not currently fully professional.Full explanation here LINK

Crafty Canary - I guess he means that Norwich, unless you know better, have not been asked if they want any ''dodgy Arab money''. (The research shows that the proposed investors in Notts are led by  Al-Thani who is leading the Middle East''s bid to hold the 2022 World Cup. To be linked tot the oldest Football League Club in the world might make a deal of sense in the light of that.). The company behind the Notts bid invested $7 billion over the last two years in property dealings world wide. I''m absolutely certain Norwich have some selling points - what''s holding investors back?As said, Notts County is the oldest Football League Club in the world (1862 but with letter headed paper also showing 1860.) Earliest reported match was against Trent Valley in 1864, twenty-a-side knock about, started at 2.00pm and lasted ''until some time after sunset''. Reporter didn''t stay to the end by the seems of things in that no score is recorded! Match versus Sheffield, who are the oldest club but remain amateur, reported on January 2nd 1865  - Sheffield in scarlet shirts and caps - seventeen-a-side, Sheffield won 1-0. Notts went on to be one of the twelve clubs that founded the Football League in 1888. (*Pedant''s reply!)

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]well done Cam and IBA, joint winners of the "clutching at straws" award for this year.

with everything that it appears the mighty Notts Co have got going for them it''s just a wonder no-ones picked up this marketing dream earlier surely?[/quote]Not everyone has your values

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/homenews/Exclusive-Middle-Eastern-consortium-takeover-Notts-County/article-1046393-detail/article.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/8541565

[/quote]

The group, which is owned by several businessmen based in the Middle East, wants complete control of the Magpies – and has ambitious plans to restore the fortunes of the world''s oldest football league club.

Hope they don''t think they have  bought  Newcastle,LOL!