Sign in to follow this  
LQ

The true cost of watching League One football

Ok, so I was bored and thought I''d look into this a bit more than I did the other week.NB. This is NOT a "please be nice and don''t take your rebate" thread - it''s a "bloody hell - how do some of these clubs get away with these kind of prices in the lower half of the football league with such awful facilities" thread! And I thought some of you might be interested at what goes on around us.So, here''s a selection of Season Ticket prices from around League One that are in similar positions to my seat at Carrow Road. I''ve put mine in for comparison and obviously it doesn''t include the rebate, with it the cost would be £296 (ie the cheapest I''ve found).Swindon Town - £305.20Stockport County - £322Leyton Orient - £325Carlisle Utd - £360Norwich City - £370Cheltenham Town - £371Huddersfield - £379Northampton Town - £410Charlton Athletic - £425Millwall - £425Leeds Utd - £646 (this is NOT a misprint!)I don''t know what I was expecting when I started looking at these figures but it has certainly surprised me at a time when football in general is hitting the financial brick wall at every level.Still, there you go. The true cost of watching League One footie. Scary, ain''t it?[:O]

[quote user="LQ"]

Millwall - £425
Leeds Utd - £646 (this is NOT a misprint!)

[/quote]

Christ in a bucket...no wonder they get so angry!

I''m not that surprised, Football = Money

Ii think Colchesters was very high last year, I know there was a few complaints about the increase after being relegated.

Colchester have promised that their ST prices will be cheaper this season than last.Are you ready to see what you''d pay for the equivalent of my seat at Weston Homes(sounds like a housing development in Bowthorpe)?Colchester Utd - £456.

£370 is way to much for watching the rubbish we turn out , and our club wont even employ a manager , just good old oddjob the club embarrassment.

[quote user="LQ"]Colchester have promised that their ST prices will be cheaper this season than last.

Are you ready to see what you''d pay for the equivalent of my seat at Weston Homes(sounds like a housing development in Bowthorpe)?

Colchester Utd - £456.

[/quote]

Worth every penny.  [;)]

[quote user="Gunns NO Legend"]£370 is way to much for watching the rubbish we turn out , and our club wont even employ a manager , just good old oddjob the club embarrassment.[/quote]You really are very dull.  Do one, will you ?

Have you given up on the blog Lisa? Or just realised that you get more attention on this forum slumming with the regular folks?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Gunns NO Legend"]£370 is way to much for watching the rubbish we turn out , and our club wont even employ a manager , just good old oddjob the club embarrassment.[/quote]You really are very dull.  Do one, will you ?[/quote] Not as dull as a little sheep like you , baaaaa baaaaaaaa baaaaaaaa .

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Gunns NO Legend"]£370 is way to much for watching the rubbish we turn out , and our club wont even employ a manager , just good old oddjob the club embarrassment.
[/quote]

You really are very dull.  Do one, will you ?
[/quote]

[Y]

well,one possible reason for the increased prices that are high is the need to cover overheads over which they cant afford, so by charging more for a season ticket, they get more money in. This has its drawbacks obviously because some fans would be put off. for exmple look at us, on face value we have championship overheads, which still need to be paid despite us having league 1 revenue. If we were getting 15,000 last season i guarantee that the cost of a season ticket would of been around 450-500 pounds in order to cover drops in attendences and revenue as a consequence. The likes of Leeds charging 600 seems like pure extortion when you consider they are getting 22000 gates minimum, you could argue leeds fans are paying for their ambition still. going back to a norwich ideaimagine we had 15000 st''s last year at 250 average, that makes 3,750,000imagine the overheads were 10,000,000and the revenue from the league was 5m and then we sold merchandise and assets etc to cover the rest.the problems many clubs going down face is the income dropping but the expenditure not dropping sufficiently.look at it from a dire scenarioimagine norwich had 10,000 st''s this year, and we offered the st''s at 250 still. that totals : 2,500,000lets say the overheads were 9,000,000 due to the loss of players and contract clauses etc.and the league revenue was 3m. that would mean that we still had to find 4,500,000 from somewhere, aside from selling players and assets, you can raise the price of the season ticketsin this scenario, if norwich got 10,000 season ticket holders charging them 500 quid, they would have generated 8m in total with 1m to find.foortunately, we havent got this issue as we have a lot of season ticket holders, but if the numbers decrease, the margins get tighter.(all figures made up obviously)

[quote user="Gunns NO Legend"]£370 is way to much for watching the rubbish we turn out , and our club wont even employ a manager , just good old oddjob the club embarrassment.[/quote]You give the rest of us, who broadly agree with your general views on the club''s management, a bad name. Utter drivel.

And inversely, MIA, that''s why and how PL clubs (or those newly promoted) can offer the magnanimous gesture of cheap or even free season tickets. The ''bums on seats'' money means little to a club''s revenue compared to the Sky millions.

[quote user="LQ"]And inversely, MIA, that''s why and how PL clubs (or those newly promoted) can offer the magnanimous gesture of cheap or even free season tickets. The ''bums on seats'' money means little to a club''s revenue compared to the Sky millions.

[/quote]

WE should have tried bloody harder to stay in the Premiership then, shouldn''t we.....

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="LQ"]And inversely, MIA, that''s why and how PL clubs (or those newly promoted) can offer the magnanimous gesture of cheap or even free season tickets. The ''bums on seats'' money means little to a club''s revenue compared to the Sky millions.[/quote]

WE should have tried bloody harder to stay in the Premiership then, shouldn''t we.....

[/quote]I did wonder why we got relegated.  There was me thinking that it''s the hardest league in the world.  But it turns out we just weren''t trying hard enough.  Silly me.Anyway, it was all Andy Johnsons'' fault - that was never a pen.  He landed on his nose FFS, on his NOSE !!!

LQ – are you saying a new season ticket would be £370 or is that a renewal?

I’ve been away from Norwich for a while so was looking at getting one despite what other people on this MB may say.

At the risk of coming across like the Club Saleswoman...As far as I''m aware K, there are season tickets available all around the ground. Mine at £370 is sort of mid-price I suppose. There are cheaper options (and more expesive ones too!)Give the ticket office a call:0844 826 1902 I''m sure they''ll be delighted to hear from you [;)]

Cheers mate i will give them a call and make them an offer, might be about to get a 2 for 1 like on the back of bus tickets!

[quote user="KCanary"]

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]£250 at The Gas. Bargain![/quote]

Gas Pete?

[/quote]

Bristol Rovers

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"][quote user="KCanary"]

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]£250 at The Gas. Bargain![/quote]

Gas Pete?

[/quote]

Bristol Rovers

[/quote]

Oh....!!!  

But where''s the seat Pete?Come on, play the game! I''m trying to give like for like comparisons and you''re dredging the terraces for the cheapies!![:P]

[quote user="LQ"]At the risk of coming across like the Club Saleswoman...

As far as I''m aware K, there are season tickets available all around the ground. Mine at £370 is sort of mid-price I suppose. There are cheaper options (and more expesive ones too!)

Give the ticket office a call:
0844 826 1902 I''m sure they''ll be delighted to hear from you [;)]

[/quote]

You are in deed!

Just in time for rebates. You have a few days yet to come up with several more "interesting" items.

Bonus must realy be mounting now or are you paid on result

I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again...They couldn''t afford me![:P]

[quote user="LQ"]And inversely, MIA, that''s why and how PL clubs (or those newly promoted) can offer the magnanimous gesture of cheap or even free season tickets. The ''bums on seats'' money means little to a club''s revenue compared to the Sky millions.[/quote]sunderland for an exmaple.

Ok, compare that to a seat in the Barclay Lower then?£366 - £73.20 (because I know you''re taking it!) = £293.80Not bad. Don''t forget your petrol money will be extortionate if you have to travel down south for every game too! And I doubt they have plasma screens and nice bars at The gas?![:P]

[quote user="LQ"]I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again...

They couldn''t afford me!

[:P]

[/quote]

So you do it all for love[:D]

Or could we just ever so slightly even a tieniest bit looking for that fans place on the board