Sign in to follow this  
John

Will Gunn Keep A Promise?

----------------------  Marshall  ---------------------- OtsemoborLeijer - Doherty (c) - Shackell--- Smith --- Clingan --- Russell --- Lappin --------------------- Mooney - Lee  -------------------Subs :McDonald, Cureton, Carney, Gow, Nelson.This is the team representing us on the final day of last season. After a humiliating 4-2 defeat to bottom Championship side Charlton, in a must win game on the final day, Gunn ''promised'' that this side would be unrecoginsable in the new season, and with so many loans you''d assume that''d be an easy job. However i''d like to think that if we are giving Gunn another chance at management, he will committ to getting out the dead wood in the side, bearing in mind they''ll have to be replaced by a proffessional footballer..... with our budget (and preferably this time a few competitive ones as well... ).So removing the loans, and players gone already,  the only players we have left are Nelson, Cureton, McDonald, Smith, Russell, Lappin, Doherty, Clingan, and Otsemobor.Out of them, i think most can agree the only certainties we all think should be kept next season would (ideally) be Clingan, Smith and McDonald.The rest would seem debatable unto whether they''d prove of any real value to us next season, as players who can help us avoid another humiliating season for the first time in half a decade for Norwich City Football Club.Firstly, Doherty has always been a controversial figure. Towards the end of last season he seemed to be silencing most critics with his solidness in defence alongside Shackell. But as Doherty captained the side to losing 5 out of the final 6 history defining games for Norwich City in what evidentally proved to be their last season in the top 2 tiers in English football for half a century, the critics had well and truly come back, questioning whether he really had what it takes to wear a Norwich City jersy? What do you think? Can he cut it in the back line?The next would be Russell. Russell''s passion has rarely been questioned by fans, but his footballing ability... Well i''m not gonna sit on the fence with this one, if we''re being honest, it''s left with a lot to be desired. Many see passion and fight as the way forward in League One, but bearing in mind Russell has been a major player in a team that has seen us humiliated for many a year now, and considering he is prone to bringing us down to 10 men at the worst of times, does his passion really do himself justice as a Norwich City player anymore? And could it now be time we got rid of the old, and got in with the new?Next we have Ots... e... m...[S]......[C][:|]... obor. He can run as fast as any footballer on his day, the lads built like a Premier League elite, and some would say a professional athlete, he''s shown he can shoot, and he has his share of talent as an attacking full back... Sounds amazing? It would be, it''s just a shame he''s only awake and playing football for 10 minutes (max) every game. Some may argue that''d be enough to make a major impact at League One level, but without a right back for 80 minutes or so for every game, is he doing us any real favours?Next is Jamie Cureton. We all know the man has passion, and we know that a few years ago, as a striker, with the ball at his feet, he could hit the target, and from time to time, hit the back of the net in football. These days, most would argue he forgot this talent somewhere down the line, inbetween the reign under the supreme and tactically astute management of Peter Grant, and the buzzing and heartwarming individual we all at Norwich love enough to now refer to as ''Glenn Rodent''. Some claim dropping down a level could see him find his feet once again as a truly talented striker. But as a Norwich fan these days, can we justify harbouring such hopes and dreams?The penultimate man in question is the once forgotten man Simon Lappin. He can deliver a set piece as well as any other at our level, has his share of talent, and has the fighting spirit we want to see from all the players that wear the yellow and green jersy these days. The only major flaw would be an unfortunate lack of pace, that can sometimes see him go missing from time to time in most games going at a pace a little too fast for the Scots lad to get involved in. Should he be denied a new contract, or could playing at League One level see his best qualities shine through?Lastly, and if you''ve seen him play before, most probably least, is the man who would be forgotten if Marshall had not jumped ship, Stuart Nelson. The guy has played his share of games at the level we''re going to, but delve a little deeper than the stats, and you find a player who is held in fairly low esteem by every man, woman and child that has seen him play. Personally, i''ve heard him been described as "horrendously inconsistent", and one that is "prone to making the odd mistake". I must say that i am totally against giving this man a new contract when we have up and coming talent in Rudd and Steer. And with players, who some would say are cult heroes in lower league football, in Tyler and Gilks, availble for transfer, on the cheap, i''d be disappointed to say the least if this man were to be offerred a new contract. However some of you may harbour views to the contrary of mine? (Although i hope you don''t [:P])Who do you think we should get rid of? For what reason do you think we should get rid of those particular players? And would you consider it a major failiure, and a broken promise, if Gunn was not to get rid of the players you want gone?

I think the OP makes some very valid points, but the simple fact is that we''re so skint we can''t afford to be letting players on contracts like Lappin & Otsemobor go.  We either have to sell them, and as Lappin has proved, the money he''s on here would not be matched elsewhere as he''s not worth it (thanks, Granty) - so you can bet you will see Semi & Lappin running out next year.

Your comments are very roundly made and i share most of your views , however it all depends on the amount of cash  [ if any ] we will have to invest in the squad .

The players who have outstayed their welcome could well include  Adam Drury  he has had injury problems now for far to long and unless he has proven he has recovered enough to play regulaly he has to be replaced as this club cannot and should not carry any passengers .

I have mentioned in a previous post of my own that i think in Crooky and  Butterworth we have coaches that will only improve the standard of play [ lets face things it can''t get any worse ] but  Gunny is still  looking way out of his debth in his latest roll at the club , i will admit i do hope Gunny proves me wrong and perhaps whatever signings we may make it will at least be HIS  team .

Youth must be the way forward in our present financial state with the odd experiensed  pro to help them along and this is were i believe our coaches will earn their corn , we do need to hit the ground running if we are to have any success next season which is why i hope at least behind the scenes the squad is being assembled even though we are being kept in dark on this .