Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Lazy Lazy Archant

Third rate club, third rate journalism?

The stupid Archant article about Mark Bosnich, yes I know its been talked about for days now, which was ''created'' purely out of Ian Crook having lunch with somebody that he already knew, has done a fair bit to stir up emotions.

Did Archant not think to contact Bryan Gunn directly and ask him to confirm whether he was interested in Mark Bosnich? I am 99% sure that Bryan Gunn would have laughed it off and said no. The blokes a goalkeeper for christs sake, if there is one position I trust him to get right it is the GK shirt, and if there is one position that players would attracted to at City it would GK for that reason.

We are talking about a paper that came out in support of people returning their rebates, and then ''create'' the most counter productive news article that they could make.

Do you think that people would be more likely, or less likely, to give back their refunds after learning that we are linked to Mark Bosnich? the simple matter of the fact is that Archant have succeeded in duping people into believing that the club are interested in Bosnich when they are clearly not. He has even just signed for another club.

And before anybody says that this article hasnt encouraged people to keep their rebates, I have seen two people on here alone that have indicated that it influenced their decision. Easily influenced people yes, but influenced by Archant nonetheless.

I am so fed up by the poor standard of Archant journalism, particularly the Pink Un, that I am going to refrain from reading the articles from now on. Im not buying the Pink Un at all next year. It used to be a bloody good read back in the day.

I agree with your comments.

I take the Evening News every day , but am now planning to cancel.

The Saturday editions are becoming a joke , with this latest non story being laughable.

If there is no football story to print, please dont insult the readers by making one up.

I expect next Saturdays edition to tell us that Neville Southall, Peter Shilton or even Elvis are being lined up.

There are a great number of things they could do in the absence of hard news from the club but it appears that they don''t have anyone with ideas at the moment - either that or the ideas are not deemed suitable.  Lack of hard news is not a major problem in itself.   The Editor goes next month so perhaps it will get better. 

[quote user="Fred"]It must be very difiicult to write about NCFC at the moment.

So little has been no more than the chat and exchange of ideas we might have in the pub.
[/quote]

If its not news then dont publish it. No news is good news as they sometimes say.

News is in itself a factual concept, so fabrication or ''fiction'' is not what I expect from the news media.

I agree that it must be hard to write about them, but it isnt hard to pick up the phone to Joe Ferrari and say "Joe, is there any link between Ian Crooks meeting with Mark Bosnich and the clubs transfer activities". If he says no there isnt, then it is not news. If he declines to comment, then the story can run stating that Joe had said "No comment", thus at least creating an air of mystery. He isnt very like going to say yes, but if he does then you truly have a story.

The press office at Norwich is there for people like Archant, particularly bloody archant, to dig for news. They clearly havent bothered to make one quick phone call before running with a ''story'', which is exactly that a fantasy laden ''story''.

Just playing devil''s advocate for a minute...Where does this leave all the posters who jump on Archant''s back for being too cosy and in bed with the Club?

[quote user="LQ"]Just playing devil''s advocate for a minute...

Where does this leave all the posters who jump on Archant''s back for being too cosy and in bed with the Club?

[/quote]

Thats irrelevant, they are too cosy with the club but thats a different matter all together. That is another reason not to buy its products, as it became a propoganda median for neil doncaster''s ideological spin.  But my point is that they are making money by doing absolutely nothing, it took somebody 10 minutes to through together a piece of sh*t, just to sell papers to easily led muppets and to drive traffic to their ad supported and revenue generating website. Why shouldnt they earn their money?

[quote user="ryan85k"]

So little has been no more than the chat and exchange of ideas we might have in the pub.
[/quote]

If its not news then dont publish it. No news is good news as they sometimes say.

News is in itself a factual concept, so fabrication or ''fiction'' is not what I expect from the news media.

I agree that it must be hard to write about them, but it isnt hard to pick up the phone to Joe Ferrari and say "Joe, is there any link between Ian Crooks meeting with Mark Bosnich and the clubs transfer activities". If he says no there isnt, then it is not news. If he declines to comment, then the story can run stating that Joe had said "No comment", thus at least creating an air of mystery. He isnt very like going to say yes, but if he does then you truly have a story.

The press office at Norwich is there for people like Archant, particularly bloody archant, to dig for news. They clearly havent bothered to make one quick phone call before running with a ''story'', which is exactly that a fantasy laden ''story''.

[/quote]

Ringing Norwich City press office would not help on this story.  Ringing his agent might.

Indeed. From what I can tell the press office line would be "we do not comment on speculation"

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ringing Norwich City press office would not help on this story.  Ringing his agent might.

[/quote]

Nothing could help this story, it is disgustingly trashy and cheap journalism, and although you may well be accustomed to that Cam..... I personally wont support it financially. I have purposely never clicked on an ad on this site and havent bought an Archant product for about 2 months now.  In fact, I think I am going to stop posting on this forum, as every post has the chance of search engine index, which helps drive traffic, in fact I am going to stop visiting after today as even my visit improves its search engine listing. The simple matter of fact is that such scummy journalism, irrespective of whether you agree with it, does not deserve my custom on any level in my opinion. There are much more deserving publications.

It''s not entirely irrelevant because if they were "too cosy and in bed with the Club" they might have had guidance on whether the story was true or not.  As far as I know Norwich City treat us all the same.[:|]  I believe the truth about the Bosnich (and Holt) stories was that Archant didn''t go anywhere.

Not too many calls to Australia in the case of Bosnich (which could be a story, but not because of Norwich City[:P] and not too many to affable Ian at Shrewsbury Town either I fancy.

Apologies to CA in advance.[:D]

[/quote]

The main vehicles for Archant, EDP & EEN, are written to be accessible for the majority of readers, the good people of Norfolk. This means written without the extremes of viewpoint that can be thrashed out over a few hours on forums like this. Also, any questions and articles are framed in such a way that no offence will be taken by the club and it''s representatives, for fear of restricted access to personnel or information in the future.

I''m sure many of the posters on this forum could easily generate thousands of words regarding NCFC, raising valid questions which might make uncomfortable reading for the powers that be, never to be printed by Archant.

[quote user="LQ"]Indeed. From what I can tell the press office line would be "we do not comment on speculation"

[/quote]

"We never comment on speculation regarding the transfer of players.  Any announcement will be made by the club either at a press conference or on the official web site."

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

It''s not entirely irrelevant because if they were "too cosy and in bed with the Club" they might have had guidance on whether the story was true or not.  As far as I know Norwich City treat us all the same.[:|]  I believe the truth about the Bosnich (and Holt) stories was that Archant didn''t go anywhere.

Not too many calls to Australia in the case of Bosnich (which could be a story, but not because of Norwich City[:P] and not too many to affable Ian at Shrewsbury Town either I fancy.

[/quote]

Actually, come to think about it, Archant is a bit like you Cam. They only reply and comment on what they feel like.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

Actually, come to think about it, Archant is a bit like you Cam. They only reply and comment on what they feel like.

OTBC

[/quote]

Or on what they effectively know about.  Which pretty much rules you out of most things.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

Or on what they effectively know about.  Which pretty much rules you out of most things.

[/quote]

Which means that Cam doesnt know why he posts on the Pink Un forum.

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Both those stories would have been a complete failure in a NCTJ examination and they well know it.  The basic calls were not made.  You can expect that from the nationals who don''t care who they s**t on but I thought you might have expected a little more from the only papers really interested in covering Norwich City.

The relationship between the local/regional paper and the footie club tends to be one of wary symbiosis, rather like those birds that are supposed to pick clean crocodiles'' teeth. Although which is the bird and which the reptile may change from time to time...As for the EDP, Jenner was a fine editor, and Downing up to the mark. Does Cam or anyone else know who is Franzen''s replacement?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]The relationship between the local/regional paper and the footie club tends to be one of wary symbiosis, rather like those birds that are supposed to pick clean crocodiles'' teeth. Although which is the bird and which the reptile may change from time to time...

As for the EDP, Jenner was a fine editor, and Downing up to the mark. Does Cam or anyone else know who is Franzen''s replacement?[/quote]

Jenner was a great journalist who would not have allowed any of the recent tosh. 

Lots of names for replacing Franzine.  Web Team Pete will be more up to date on the in house betting.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]The relationship between the local/regional paper and the footie club tends to be one of wary symbiosis, rather like those birds that are supposed to pick clean crocodiles'' teeth. Although which is the bird and which the reptile may change from time to time...As for the EDP, Jenner was a fine editor, and Downing up to the mark. Does Cam or anyone else know who is Franzen''s replacement?[/quote]

Jenner was a great journalist who would not have allowed any of the recent tosh.

[/quote]Indeed.

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yawn..........

[quote user="Colonel Cullum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yawn..........

[/quote]

Oh dear backing ourselves up under multiple login''s ....... so how many have you got Cam?

[quote user="Colonel Cullum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yawn..........

[/quote]

See, you''re even putting your Essex gooseberries to sleep.

Dear oh dear. Whatever next.

I suppose it comes from choosing to live on the way from London to Ipswich.

OTBC 

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Colonel Cullum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yawn..........

[/quote]

See, you''re even putting your Essex gooseberries to sleep.

Dear oh dear. Whatever next.

I suppose it comes from choosing to live on the way from London to Ipswich.

OTBC 

[/quote]

I''m a happy old soul.  I''m looking forward to next season and hoping for the best.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]I suppose it comes from choosing to live on the way from London to Ipswich.[/quote]It''s been dualled since you were last there Bly! [;)]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yawn..........

[/quote]

Oh p*ss off, I was actually playing on the whole cam thing, I''ve never told him to go away and I like him. I wrote this 2 minutes after the last time I read an essay from about how unwelcoming we are. If I cant write something tongue in cheek (without a crappy little winking smiley), then at least save me from the man on a one man mission to bump posts with pointless four letter words.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]I suppose it comes from choosing to live on the way from London to Ipswich.[/quote]It''s been dualled since you were last there Bly! [;)][/quote]

That''s odd Lappy. I was thereabouts a couple of weeks ago.

You''ve been watching too much science fiction, I suspect.

A good [B] should setttle you.

OTBC