Sign in to follow this  
Raymond De Waard

Is our team really that bad?

If you look at the players we currently have available, we have got the basis of a sound team for a decent promotion push ffrom League One next season.........with a few shrewd signings we will be fine i''m sure: -

GK: Rudd

LB: Drury

RB: Otsemobor (I would look to change this tart if we were still in the championship, but League One is his level!)

CB: Doherty

CB: Stefanovic

LW: Hoolahan

RW: ?

CM: Clingan

CM: Russell

ST: McDonald

ST: Martin

This is not a bad team for this level by any means!  I''m not saying that thi sis the team i would be happy to see run out on August the 8th for the start of the season, but when we still have players like Lappin, Spillane, Pattison, Cureton, Daley, Smith, Renton etc - the basis of a side is there!  It just needs a few good signings (aroudn 6 or 7 should do it!)  What do you reckon?  I''m ready to be shot down!

Most of those players wont be here past June 19th.

need some players who can create somthing and most importantly a proven goal scorer matin/mcdonald might get 10-15 goals each this sesson but we need a 25 a goal a seson man to get out of this leauge

[quote user="crabman84"]

If you look at the players we currently have available, we have got the basis of a sound team for a decent promotion push ffrom League One next season.........with a few shrewd signings we will be fine i''m sure: -

GK: Rudd  Is ok but is he up for this division, has he enough experience?

LB: Drury No argument there, he might do a job

RB: Otsemobor (I would look to change this tart if we were still in the championship, but League One is his level!) God knows, not the player he was when he joined

CB: Doherty  I really think he will be off to pastures new

CB: Stefanovic  Waste of space and money

LW: Hoolahan I will be shocked if he stays with us

CM: Clingan  Same as Hooly

CM: Russell  Liability

ST: McDonald Will be interesting to see how he''s progressed over the summer break

ST: Martin  If he has had an attitude adjustment it will only improve him, think he could do a job.

This is not a bad team for this level by any means!  I''m not saying that thi sis the team i would be happy to see run out on August the 8th for the start of the season, but when we still have players like Lappin, Spillane, Pattison, Cureton, Daley, Smith, Renton etc - the basis of a side is there!  It just needs a few good signings (aroudn 6 or 7 should do it!)  What do you reckon?  I''m ready to be shot down!

[/quote]

[quote user="crabman84"]

RB: Otsemobor (I would look to change this tart if we were still in the championship, but League One is his level!)

[/quote]

You really shouldn''t underestimate League One! The quality is better than you probably imagine and it is a different style of game. Don''t forget that teams will come to stifle us at Carrow Road and get extremely physical away from home. We will more than struggle with the squad that will remain after the inevitable goodbyes from Sammy & Wes and with very limited funds for new faces I can''t see beyond a mid table stagnation at best.  

[quote user="Broadstairs Canary"][quote user="crabman84"]

[/quote]

You really shouldn''t underestimate League One! The quality is better than you probably imagine and it is a different style of game. Don''t forget that teams will come to stifle us at Carrow Road and get extremely physical away from home. We will more than struggle with the squad that will remain after the inevitable goodbyes from Sammy & Wes and with very limited funds for new faces I can''t see beyond a mid table stagnation at best.  

[/quote]

Unless we get a couple of decent strikers and defenders, I think you are right.

Russell and Otsemobor aren''t worthy of any team even at this level.

Drury and Stefanovic would be great but I can''t see either getting past 15-20 games in a season.

Clingan and Hoolahan will be gone.

I''m still hopeful Hoolahan and Sammy will stay for at least one more season.

I still stand by the fact if Hoolahan hadn''t gotten injured we''d have stayed up and i think him and Clingan may well stay for a year to try and get us straight back up.

Our problem has always been that we''re too weak a team and never mix it up enough. This isn''t going to change now. I admire the optimism of the OP but as people have already said, it''s highly likely Doc, Hoolahoop and Klingon are off leaving us with inexperienced kids and the rubbish that got us relegated in the first place.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

Because he''s been injured? Tad harsh. He would have done a hell of a sight better than the clowns who filled in for him. Trust me.

[quote user="Broadstairs Canary"]

You really shouldn''t underestimate League One! The quality is better than you probably imagine .....

[/quote]I dont know what you imagine but I sit and watch it quite often as I''ve often posted. Its appalling. My local teams are Wycombe and MK Dons, trust me, the football is terribleI''m not saying we''ll be any better and I seriously expect out great support to twindle a little when the reality of how poor the standard of football is..... Its crap.

[quote user="TheCanaryFan"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

Because he''s been injured? Tad harsh. He would have done a hell of a sight better than the clowns who filled in for him. Trust me.

[/quote]

Maybe a tad harsh, but true lol  in truth we don''t know how well he would have done do we?

[quote user="crabman84"]

[/quote]

If only a team was made on paper!

You really shouldn''t underestimate League One! The quality is better than you probably imagine .....

I dont know what you imagine but I sit and watch it quite often as I''ve often posted. Its appalling. My local teams are Wycombe and MK Dons, trust me, the football is terrible

I''m not saying we''ll be any better and I seriously expect out great support to twindle a little when the reality of how poor the standard of football is..... Its crap.

Don''t get me wrong it fails to match the technical quality of the Championship but in terms of guts, determination and physicality it probably outranks what we have faced in recent years. I agree that the quality can be poor but I think that the typical Canary fan expects just to walk next season and achieve a top 6 finish just because we are Norwich City - it''s not going to happen. Don''t forget most teams will really raise their game when we come to town.

[quote user="Broadstairs Canary"]

I dont know what you imagine but I sit and watch it quite often as I''ve often posted. Its appalling. My local teams are Wycombe and MK Dons, trust me, the football is terribleI''m not saying we''ll be any better and I seriously expect out great support to twindle a little when the reality of how poor the standard of football is..... Its crap.

Don''t get me wrong it fails to match the technical quality of the Championship but in terms of guts, determination and physicality it probably outranks what we have faced in recent years. I agree that the quality can be poor but I think that the typical Canary fan expects just to walk next season and achieve a top 6 finish just because we are Norwich City - it''s not going to happen. Don''t forget most teams will really raise their game when we come to town.

[/quote]

yeah fair post!!i watched mk dons, and thye looked really poor, and they are tipped to go straight up, im worried as gunn dosent have a clue, but i hope he walks into a bit off luck! we will need it!

[quote user="BA"] I seriously expect out great support to twindle a little when the reality of how poor the standard of football is..... Its crap.[/quote]For once i agree with you. There will be lots of shocked spectators next year, and if we arent challenging come Xmas our home gates could fall to as low as 16k i reckon, with max away support of 3 or 400. If we then fail to be promoted, then the following year I predict STs could return to the pre Worthington era, with virtually zero casuals, and an almost total collapse in away support.