Sign in to follow this  
GeeBee

Why is this piece of journalism so infuriating?

From the PinkUn today:

"One of the men who could have helped Gunn strengthen his squad was former Chelsea trainee Woodards.

The right-back, who can also play left-back, centre-back and as a defensive midfielder, had been linked with a move to Carrow Road after his contract expired at Gresty Road following two years with the Railwaymen."

I was simply wondering whether anyone else was tired of reading that each and every player that we look at can play in 42 different positions. Are we to be excited by these little known jacks of all trades, who also happen to be masters of none. Surely we don''t need students of the footballing kama sutra; we need dedicated right backs, central midfielders etc who know exactly what to do when they play there.

Just as an aside, can anyone name any other right-backs, who can also play left-back, centre-back and as a defensive midfielder? Would be good to know what type of player we''ve missed out on, given that I know so little about this swiss army penknife of lower league football.

I don''t see it as infuriating, I just see it for what it is, filler on a slow news week.  Fact is that the writer doesn''t know who we have lined up, nor whether they are more capable than a right-back whose team were relegated from league 1.

but am i wrong in wanting a left back who plays left back, leaving the filling in at right back to the reserve right back?

i don''t think so. but for some reason the reporters feel that we''ll be more impressed with a player the more positions he can (allegedly) play in.

in my case, they are wrong...

[quote user="GeeBee"].

Just as an aside, can anyone name any other right-backs, who can also play left-back, centre-back and as a defensive midfielder? Would be good to know what type of player we''ve missed out on, given that I know so little about this swiss army penknife of lower league football.[/quote]Jamie Carragher?

[quote user="GeeBee"] Just as an aside, can anyone name any other right-backs, who can also play left-back, centre-back and as a defensive midfielder? Would be good to know what type of player we''ve missed out on, given that I know so little about this swiss army penknife of lower league football.[/quote]

There are lots of players who can do this.

Andy Hughes springs to mind! He could play everywhere. Not well, but he certainly put his all in on the pitch.

Also just off the top of my head, Onyekachi Apam from OGC Nice. Jamie Carragher that someone has already mentioned. John O''Shea can play all those positions, and has done at the highest level. What about Emannuell Eboue? He can also play Right midfield.

This list is endless. Having a player that can play multiple positions is an asset, why have you made it out to be a liability?

The oddest bit of this to me was that I hadn''t seen us linked with the guy at all - certainly not in the EDP/Pinkun -yet we got a longish piece about him going elsewhere.  I thought that was rather strange.

[quote user="NCFC_Thain"][quote user="GeeBee"]. Just as an aside, can anyone name any other right-backs, who can also play left-back, centre-back and as a defensive midfielder? Would be good to know what type of player we''ve missed out on, given that I know so little about this swiss army penknife of lower league football.[/quote]

Jamie Carragher?
[/quote]

Ian Murray? Left back, centre back, centre mid, perhaps right back? [:P]