Sign in to follow this  
Rob Edward is God

Matt Gill

Hi, Exeter fan here. I hear that Matt Gill has accepted a offer from Norwich. We would have liked to have kept him but he was out of contract & sounds like he is moving closer to home.Shame, really good player(unless you ask a Notts County fan!).

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

I used to play against him when i was younger and he was good. He is from around here and his brother is Darren Gill the former Wroxham Captain.

Being honest, i cant say this excites me at all.

[/quote]

I think the days for exciting signings are gone. I think steady and dependable are the order of the day.

Gill plays CM, He great on the ball, consistent, never looks to be rushed but always seems to be in the right place at the right time & has now added goals to his game. Since Paul Tisdale took over at Exeter we have become a really good passing team which has suited Gills game. Hopefully Gilly will be as good for you as he was for us but before he came to us he was stuck at Notts County,not enjoying his football & the fans there wer getting on his back it was strongly rumoured he was going to chuck in football to become a tennis coach.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"][quote user="can u sit down please"]

I used to play against him when i was younger and he was good. He is from around here and his brother is Darren Gill the former Wroxham Captain.

[/quote]

I think the days for exciting signings are gone. I think steady and dependable are the order of the day.

[/quote]i think you are right TMM [:(]

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"][quote user="can u sit down please"]

[/quote]

[/quote]i think you are right TMM [:(][/quote]

I don''t necessarily see it as a bad thing either. I think we''ve been let down by too many mediocre signings. Get a steady and dependable group of players, and then slowly add the quality.

don''t think that just because you haven''t heard of him he isn''t going to be any good. 9 goals from centre midfield and a decent passer to boot sounds pretty good to me. Not seen him play before I grant you, but i''ve just read through match reports and other things on him and he sounds like a decent signing to me. I was saying that Norwich should have gone after bean of brentford as he was a central midfielder, around six fooot and can score goals... well he''s under contract so Gill looks to be a very decent alternative.

[quote user="The Chirp"]don''t think that just because you haven''t heard of him he isn''t going to be any good. 9 goals from centre midfield and a decent passer to boot sounds pretty good to me. Not seen him play before I grant you, but i''ve just read through match reports and other things on him and he sounds like a decent signing to me. I was saying that Norwich should have gone after bean of brentford as he was a central midfielder, around six fooot and can score goals... well he''s under contract so Gill looks to be a very decent alternative.

[/quote] Now theres a surprise The Chirp bigging up the most dissapointing signing this club has made in years .

[quote user="Gunns NO Legend"][quote user="The Chirp"]don''t think that just because you haven''t heard of him he isn''t going to be any good. 9 goals from centre midfield and a decent passer to boot sounds pretty good to me.

Not seen him play before I grant you, but i''ve just read through match reports and other things on him and he sounds like a decent signing to me.

I was saying that Norwich should have gone after bean of brentford as he was a central midfielder, around six fooot and can score goals... well he''s under contract so Gill looks to be a very decent alternative.

[/quote] Now theres a surprise The Chirp bigging up the most dissapointing signing this club has made in years .
[/quote]

And there''s a surprise, you making a sweeping, negative statement without knowing anything about him.

Gunn said he is desperate to pull on the yellow and green jersey. At least we now have one more player that wants to play for this club. I have a feeling he will be a good asset next season. Come on Gilly.

I seem to remember being similarly disappointed when we signed Clingan (my reaction was probably 1 league higher)

Hope he can have a similar impact, have been missing a box to box CM for a while.

It''s not disappointing at all.Matt Gill is a player I''d have advocated looking at even if we were still in the dizzy heights of the CCC. He''s a solid, passing midfielder who was the backbone of a team with a winning mentality (something we could do with around here!) under Tisdale, possibly the best manager outside the PL.I''m delighted he wanted to come home once his contract was up and look forward to seeing what effect he can have.Good signing.

I have to say I am happy with the type of signing - lower league player with a proven track record and looks like the right personality too.

Hope he knows a couple of good lower league defenders and strikers!

don''t know a lot about him but a local lad with experience, seems to have performed really well in League 2 last season and likes a passing game.

i don''t know what some people really expect, we''re a League 1 side now.

Welcome home Matty.

does this mean Clingan is definately off

[quote user="LQ"]It''s not disappointing at all.Matt Gill is a player I''d have advocated looking at even if we were still in the dizzy heights of the CCC. He''s a solid, passing midfielder who was the backbone of a team with a winning mentality (something we could do with around here!) under Tisdale, possibly the best manager outside the PL.I''m delighted he wanted to come home once his contract was up and look forward to seeing what effect he can have.Good signing.

[/quote]Wow!! something that LQ says that I agree with.[;)]

[quote user="Gunns NO Legend"][quote user="The Chirp"]don''t think that just because you haven''t heard of him he isn''t going to be any good. 9 goals from centre midfield and a decent passer to boot sounds pretty good to me. Not seen him play before I grant you, but i''ve just read through match reports and other things on him and he sounds like a decent signing to me. I was saying that Norwich should have gone after bean of brentford as he was a central midfielder, around six fooot and can score goals... well he''s under contract so Gill looks to be a very decent alternative.

[/quote] Now theres a surprise The Chirp bigging up the most dissapointing signing this club has made in years .[/quote]who were you expecting hoping we would sign? and why? I am pleased we signed him as he''s a good age, played well the last two seasons with 9 goals last term and the player of the year award the season before. He can pass and get in the box... being near on 6 foot is another plus aswell... If we were signing a player like jason jarrett or darren byfield i would be disappointed like you are.. but, this is a good signing... and what norwich need... now hopefully we can go sign nelson and a few more and i will be happy.

We need a SQUAD - they cant all be worth 500 grand and be paid 5K a week FFS.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]We are preparing for league 2 already then , at least this signing should tempt those on the fence to claim their rebates back , laughable .[/quote]

This pretty much symbolises the completition of the demise of our football club....free transfers from Exeter City, this is our market place now

Presumably this is our ''replacement'' for the 1million out going Clingan, pathetic.

There even had to be a catch with this signing too, I see he''s a Norwich lad, can''t even buy him without there being a hidden catch.

just **** off Gunn

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

[quote user="Gunns NO Legend"][quote user="The Chirp"]don''t think that just because you haven''t heard of him he isn''t going to be any good. 9 goals from centre midfield and a decent passer to boot sounds pretty good to me.

Not seen him play before I grant you, but i''ve just read through match reports and other things on him and he sounds like a decent signing to me.

I was saying that Norwich should have gone after bean of brentford as he was a central midfielder, around six fooot and can score goals... well he''s under contract so Gill looks to be a very decent alternative.

[/quote]

And there''s a surprise, you making a sweeping, negative statement without knowing anything about him.

[/quote]

I agree with Marshmallow. Surely their have been many more dissapointing signings. Steve Walsh, Tony Cottee, James Henry, Koromo!!

What we have here is a player that is probably on one third of the money that Fozzy was on and is probably going to put three times the effort in on the pitch.

I am going to judge him against Fozzy, if were working on a one in - one out basis, so he doesnt have to do much to justify his signing!

A good experienced squad player that wants to play for us and wouldnt mind being substituted or named on the bench.

Potentially a very good signing, and very little to lose if he isnt (we havent paid anything for him)

[quote user="ACE"]We need a SQUAD - they cant all be worth 500 grand and be paid 5K a week FFS.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]We are preparing for league 2 already then , at least this signing should tempt those on the fence to claim their rebates back , laughable .
[/quote][/quote]

Blimey ACE, I have begun to agree with you quite a lot recently. Good squad player, simple as. Nobody is sitting there saying that he is going to set the world alight, hes just an experienced midfielder and handy to have around the place.

I think people need to stop critisising new signings straight away just before no one has ever heard of him. People have got to realise that now we are in league two we are probably going to get these sort of players who people dont know much about. I seem to remember a lot of people slating the signings of Clingan and McDonald yet they both proved to be good signings in the end.

Have to say swear I read somewhere that he was joining Derby but I guess I got him mixed up with someone else