Sign in to follow this  
Paul Lamberts Disciple

Which place is worse: Norwich or Ipswich? Results here.

Ok, we''re always having a pop at binners for their horrible town and appalling county, and rightly so. This happened on a thread only today, which reminded me to post this - but thought I''d start a new thread as it may interest others.For anyone who doesn''t know, there are official figures measuring how rubbish somewhere is, called the Multiple Indices

of Deprivation (2007 being the most recent). These are figures from the National Office of Statistics constructed from a wide range of factors such as

teenage pregnancy, unemployment, barriers to housing, health of

population, educational attainment and so forth. The various components

are scored and combined into an overall national rank, with Number 1

being - effectively - the "biggest "sh*thole in Britain" or thereabouts.

The results for Ipswich and Norwich:

• Norwich: 62nd most deprived local authority in the UK
  • Ipswich: 99th most deprived local authority in the UK
http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/communities/xls/576504.xls

(highlight all data then sort by Column D, Rank of Average Score, then search for us. Good to

see Liverpool at number one!)

RESULT: "Norwich is worse than Ipswich".

The results for Norfolk and Suffolk at County Council level:

• Norfolk: 97th most deprived council area in the UK
  • Ipswich: 116th most deprived council area in the UK

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/communities/xls/576506.xls

(highlight all data then sort by Column D, Rank of Average Score, then search for us. Good to

see Liverpool at number one!)

RESULT:"Norfolk is worse than Suffolk".

Now, please do not accuse me of being a binner. These are just stats after all...All of us still know that Ipswich is a total scum hole!OTBC!

Doesn''t it depend on how you define "worse". There has never been any doubt that there is more poverty and deprivation this side of the border.

That doesn''t make it worse.

[quote user="Daphne"]Doesn''t it depend on how you define "worse". There has never been any doubt that there is more poverty and deprivation this side of the border.

That doesn''t make it worse.[/quote]You are right, which is why I was careful to use parentheses on my "results" statements! I also stated these were merely statistics. However I still find them interesting. I also live in Hackney which comes in at Number 2 on the entire list!

What really annoys me is that the London media seem to think that the East coast seems to begin at Ipswich and that Norfolk and Norwich just do not exist. I even feel that Anglia and BBC East show a definite bias towards Ipswich despite both being based here.

I know this isn''t football based, but I felt that the story of Ian Gibson''s resignation was somewhat ignored compared with the ammount of publicity it would have been given had he been MP for Ipswich.

Hey Fernando!

I used to live and work in Hackney - and 2 of my kids were born there and proud of it.

Stats are interesting, but certainly don''t tell the whole story. Urban and rural deprivation are very different.

Ah, you are a fellow Hackney-ite then! There is few Canaries around here, I see them from time to time, and one posts on this site I beleive. I love it here too, which is why I know these sorts of stat do not tell the full tale.I just wanted to play devils advocate for those people whose last line of defence (attack, really) is "at least Norwich isn''t a dump like Ipswich". Know where you live. Norwich is hardly an idyllic oasis, in fact we face just as many problems as (if not more than) the binners down the road

These statistics just prove that we are poorer than ipswich, which is fine if you value wealth and prosperity above all other things. The character of the people, the pleasantness of our city, the beauty of the surrounding countryside are not taken into account, in each case we pi$$ on ipswich. Also Liverpool may be no1 but it''s far and away the best city i''ve visited in this country, the people are amazingly friendly, culturally your spoilt for things to do and the city has some amazing architecture. Although admitedly i didn''t venture too far from the city centre.

I have lived in Hackney for 13 years, and once lived in Gippeswyk for 3 years, and I can say it was an Ok Town, nice parks, quite friendly, slightly like a Northern Town, interesting aspects e.g Docks, and some beautiful countryside nearby, town centre a bit of an eyesore, whereas Norwich is a more organic and cohesive City (and I will always love the place).

[quote user="we8wba"]

Worcestershire 114th

told you i didn''t live in sh!thole [:D]

[/quote]Thought you lived in Wolverhampton? Was there at 6pm tonight and it was still a hole.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="we8wba"]

Worcestershire 114th

told you i didn''t live in sh!thole [:D]

[/quote]

Thought you lived in Wolverhampton? Was there at 6pm tonight and it was still a hole.
[/quote]

Nope, i''m first to admit wolverhampton is a dump, but i only go there on match days

worcestershire is where home is

So the truth is finally out there, and from a norwich fan too. Norwich is a bigger dump/ shithole than Ippo after all.

[quote user="bluemike"]So the truth is finally out there, and from a norwich fan too. Norwich is a bigger dump/ shithole than Ippo after all.[/quote]its financially poorer yes, government etc,but in terms of the look of the place, certain facilities and culture, ipswich does fall short,

I have to agree TBH Ipswich does fall short in a few areas, my post is

tongue in cheek, but it aint as bad as is portrayed on here.

Funnily, my ex had a couple of books called ''Crap Towns'' and ''Crap Towns 2'' if I remember correctly. Ipswich Featured quite high on those lists but Nowich wasn''t mentioned at all.

[quote user="bluemike"]I have to agree TBH Ipswich does fall short in a few areas, my post is

tongue in cheek, but it aint as bad as is portrayed on here.[/quote]i just think its dreary.

[quote user="Fernando Derveld"]Ok, we''re always having a pop at binners for their horrible town and appalling county, and rightly so. This happened on a thread only today, which reminded me to post this - but thought I''d start a new thread as it may interest others.For anyone who doesn''t know, there are official figures measuring how rubbish somewhere is, called the Multiple Indices

of Deprivation (2007 being the most recent). These are figures from the National Office of Statistics constructed from a wide range of factors such as

teenage pregnancy who wants to sleep with a girl from suffolk, unemployment disability quota''s, barriers to housing all the family in one bed, health of

population can''t find the doctors, educational attainment surely we beat them on this and so forth. The various components

are scored and combined into an overall national rank, with Number 1

being - effectively - the "biggest "sh*thole in Britain" or thereabouts. 

[/quote]that sorts that out

[quote user="bluemike"]I have to agree TBH Ipswich does fall short in a few areas, my post is tongue in cheek, but it aint as bad as is portrayed on here.[/quote]You can smell it when you get to Diss! [:S]