Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

For those of you with Setanta :

Neither did I, but the problem is it now gives Murdoch the monopoly on live football again - which means you can all look forward to your sky "mixes" going up in price soon....

[quote user="ACE"]Neither did I, but the problem is it now gives Murdoch the monopoly on live football again - which means you can all look forward to your sky "mixes" going up in price soon....
[/quote]

As I love Sky, I''m not bothered!

If the subscription to Sky goes up, its goes up...a bugger, but I''ll stick with it.

Setanta have been so-so. Their signals/reception goes a bit awry still if its wet, their advice has been, in the past, for me to "adjust my dish" -don''t really feel too comfortable with just bashing that about a bit incase everything goes tits up as a result.

What will be interesting is how ITV manage without their football partner-they could only afford the FA deal because they "went in" with Setanta and with their backing lost, it''ll affect them for sure. Rumour has it that ESPN may take up the Setanta contract, although I cannot see why the BBC and ITV couldn''t share it between them.

Gutted lol. Just when everyone was getting to grips with actually pronouncing it ''Setanta'' and not Sentanta, Santanta, Seltanta and Sultana!

I like any football coverage, but this is shocking! Did nobody learn from the collapse of itv digital? So many football clubs will be left short by this (just like us after itv). How can it have been allowed to happen again?

Wow that''s bad especially for the Scottish teams. 3 SPL clubs could go into administation if they go bust.

How anyone can think it is a good idea that Sky (or anyone) has a monopoly on almost all the decent sport is beyond me.  IMO Sky has perpetuated the nasty ''money means everything'' attitude in football (average Prem players getting £20k+ a week is pretty disgusting when thousands are being made redundant), and it has taken a lot of other sport out of sight of the vast majority of the population.  How is that good?  And it is certainly not a good thing in any way that any competitor cannot survive. 

The Setanta thing was always going to happen.  How many people can realistically afford a subscription to both Sky Sports and Setanta.  PPV doesnt really work for football either.

I think that Setanta should have turned this on for free or at a much lower cost, boosted the audience figures then coined it on the advertising.  I am not sure if I am right but didnt the Italian FA bring in a ruling that meant ''x'' amount of games were to be made available for the free to air TV channels.

And sorry Branston, Sky has nothing to do with players wages.  That is down to us fair and square, its called supply and demand.  All Sky are doing is paying the going rate.

Its the Premier League that is slowly killing football as it pulls further and further away from the real world. 

A good idea gone wrong.Sky have complete monopoly in sport, and it''s hard enough to challenge them in a good era, let alone in the middle of a financial climate!

likewise have virgin media, will be a sad loss. setanta -  live prem, scott.prem, and blue sq., and england aways! all free

If Gordon Brown is after some policies that improve his popularity, and lets face it he should be, he would do worse than pass a law meaning at least a portion of premiership/league football matches have to be shown for free on bbc/itv/c4.

[quote user="Spineless Fooks"]Gutted lol. Just when everyone was getting to grips with actually pronouncing it ''Setanta'' and not Sentanta, Santanta, Seltanta and Sultana![/quote]

Ive heard a ''Stetanta'' as well from my Dad!

The fact we can no longer watch theFA Cup /  The Ashes etc etc irritates me.  Pay a subscription to this and that, I already do, it''s called my TV license.  Sadly our £150 TV license (or whatever it is) cannot cover the ridiculous viewing rights organizations demand, my fault for liking Sport I suppose.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="ACE"]Neither did I, but the problem is it now gives Murdoch the monopoly on live football again - which means you can all look forward to your sky "mixes" going up in price soon....
[/quote]

As I love Sky, I''m not bothered!

[/quote]

wasting your money imo!

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]I like any football coverage, but this is shocking! Did nobody learn from the collapse of itv digital? So many football clubs will be left short by this (just like us after itv). How can it have been allowed to happen again?[/quote]

Because no company is immune from going bankrupt and you don''t have to have the cash in the bank to buy in. Sky certainly don''t have the money in the bank if for some reason they started to struggle.

[quote user="Downloads"]

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]I like any football coverage, but this is shocking! Did nobody learn from the collapse of itv digital? So many football clubs will be left short by this (just like us after itv). How can it have been allowed to happen again?[/quote]

Because no company is immune from going bankrupt and you don''t have to have the cash in the bank to buy in. Sky certainly don''t have the money in the bank if for some reason they started to struggle.

[/quote]

The premier league would just implode under a vast weight of debt.  You have only got to read the article about Liverpools level of debt to see that the game is in serious trouble.

Part of the problem with Setanta must be that must of their subscibers get it free as part of another package ( Bt or Virgin ) like me , I don''t know anybody whos actualy paid for it , sure i know they sting pubs to have it but their normal paying customer base must be fairly low.