Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Re: Gunn has already made one great signing this summer....

Of course everyone has to wait and see how things turn out but Spillane was playing at Luton because GR didn''t rate him.  Although then two leagues below you the Hatters supporters rated him as one of their better players and could not fault him for effort.  I don''t know how he is going to get on next season but he has one advantage in that, as I understand, he can take a good free kick.  You''ll get a fair number in League One and the trick is making them pay.

Also, as with young McDonald, everyone has to start somewhere.  Elokobi will at least be in Wolves premiership squad next season and he was found by Colchester playing for Dulwich Hamlet Reserves.

Also there is a chap, popular on here, who failed trials at Notts Forest, Notts County and (allegedly) Retford Town and who was on the point of giving up his plans to be a pro footballer when he was given a couple of trial games by Lincoln City and offered his first professional contract.

Name?  Darren Huckerby.

Never really seen anything particularly good about Spillane. Well not while we were Championship level anyway. But now we''re down a league and he''s had a year of first team football he could be handy if he''s come on a lot from where he was.

[quote user="ryan85k"]Thats the longest post I have seen you make![/quote]

well, to be honest, thats probably the longest post I have seen you do on here as well. But it was a good point well made by you so in honour of that I thought I would give you  a nice longcomment in return!!

[quote user="Gunn Be Gone"][quote user="ryan85k"]

I keep hearing about how we should be looking at young, talented, lower league players. The type that have shown that they are too good for their lower league clubs and could be great in league one.

Much has been said about Cody McDonald, but I have heard pretty much none of you mention Michael Spillane. In terms of the best centre backs in league two, Spillane had to be right up there last year.

A great move by Gunn to get him signed up for two years, and a great signing from the man that took over from somebody that would have liked Spillane to end up nothing. Hes going to show everybody next year just what a classy little player he is.

[/quote] Why dont we wait and see if Cody and Spillane turn out to be any good at all before bigging them up as such wonderful signings , lets face it if they were that spectacular they would not have been playing at Dartford and Luton .[/quote]For me I think people are being optimistic about these two at least because there are obvious signs of potential in them - and at the moment you cant say that about many of the players we had last season can you?Spillane - when he has played he has been a good strong tackler who is less likely to get angry and just take the player out, he is committed and has a winning mentality. I believe Cam has pointed out that he is highly rated in Ireland where he is seen as a possible future captain of the full national side. Thats not something little to make a comment about. He is also rather versatile having played in midfield, centre back and right back. For me he looks good with the ball at his feet - which again, is more than I could say for half the players we had in last season.Cody - you may want to question him and perhaps we have not seen enough of him yet. But he reminds me a bit of one Kevin Philips only that Cody has buckets of pace. Pace and it seems an eye for goal. When he turns 31/32 he may well loose that pace and he may have to re-invent himself but why worry about that now when he is 22?!! He has great potential as he has that desire that Philips still has now, the desire to make up for lost time - to prove he isn''t a scaffolder!Bigged up they may be but then I think they have earned the reputations they have. Cody flew past most of the defences he was up against and I have seen Spillane hold his own against pretty rugged players. Two assets we will still need next season. I think the only reason we didnt see more of Cody was because he had to get his fitness up to a professional standard which you would expect. With a pre-season behind him I think he will start to produce more.

Spillane also proved that he can hold his own physically in League Two.  In that respect he will be fine in League One.

I wonder if we''d have stayed up if he''d have been called back, and Semmi had been dropped, or at least threatened with being dropped. I''m sure the only time i saw semmi try was when his position was under threat by a replacement. A bit of a bold claim, but not rediculous in my eyes

[quote user="Gunn Be Gone"][quote user="ryan85k"]

I keep hearing about how we should be looking at young, talented, lower league players. The type that have shown that they are too good for their lower league clubs and could be great in league one.

Much has been said about Cody McDonald, but I have heard pretty much none of you mention Michael Spillane. In terms of the best centre backs in league two, Spillane had to be right up there last year.

A great move by Gunn to get him signed up for two years, and a great signing from the man that took over from somebody that would have liked Spillane to end up nothing. Hes going to show everybody next year just what a classy little player he is.

[/quote] Why dont we wait and see if Cody and Spillane turn out to be any good at all before bigging them up as such wonderful signings , lets face it if they were that spectacular they would not have been playing at Dartford and Luton .
[/quote]

And dont put them down just because Gunny signed them either. All players start at lesser clubs before working their way up. Good luck to them both, I hope they succeed for the clubs sake.

[quote user="Norwich"]Camuldonum, why do you spend so much time on our board?[/quote]

He''s been asked that loads of times but never replies [:D]

Smacks of League of Gentlemen here: Tis a local message board for local people.In my opinion Cam is welcome here and as is anyone who comes on here to have a genuine discussion and add to what is already being said.I like Cam for passing on some of the things he finds out and for reminding people that there are other clubs out there whose dream it is to be in league 1 and that football is not a predictable science.People slate him but I think he adds an extra dimension to this board - especially when people seem to want to point a finger. Cam seems to just like talking football and to be fair I don''t care who you are if but that is what this board is really about. Sure it is a Norwich City board but it doesn''t say anywhere it is just for Norwich City Fans. Infact there seem to be more Norwich City Trolls on here than actual fans . . . . .

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Norwich"]Camuldonum, why do you spend so much time on our board?[/quote]

He''s been asked that loads of times but never replies [:D]

[/quote]

And why should he reply??

This attitude towards posters on here who dont support Norwich really pees me off as long as the said poster is not abusive.

Camuldonum, I dont believe has ever posted anything p!$$ taking or derogetory towards Norwich.

In fact I for one always look out for any of his posts as I always find them well drafted and informed considering all the drivel that comes from the vast amount of so called proper-message-board-users-who-can-only-support-norwich-posters.

I actually follow Shrewsbury Town also, so does that make me any less of a Norwich fan? No

Should that mean I dont post on here? No

Should that mean I dont post on Blue and Amber message board? No

We all follow the beautiful game of football (although it hasnt quite been that for both sides this season!).

Rant over

[quote user="chicken"]Smacks of League of Gentlemen here: Tis a local message board for local people.

[/quote]

No its not a message board for local people, its a Norwich City message board set up by Archant (who Cam slags off at every opportunity)  for fans to primarily discuss all things Norwich City.

Of course we welcome vistors from other teams(especially when w''re about to play them) but there''s something odd about someone being on a forum 24/7 when they don''t support our team.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

Its not too odd, its just that he wont admit that hes on here looking for transfer gossip to sell to the star for £20 a pop. He probably has about 10 forums open at a time. To be honest I dont really mind Cam being around, well at least 80% of the time.

[/quote]

Ryan, if he''s just looking for transfer gossip he''d just read as many footy forums as possible, copy the bits that interest him and off he''d go.

Cam is on here daily often until 2am, he''s up to 3500 posts in a short period of time plus over the past few days has stuck the knife into Archant and its journalists plus ncisa and anyone connected with it, are they the actions of someone just looking for transfer gossip?

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="chicken"]Smacks of League of Gentlemen here: Tis a local message board for local people.

[/quote]

No its not a message board for local people, its a Norwich City message board set up by Archant (who Cam slags off at every opportunity)  for fans to primarily discuss all things Norwich City.

Of course we welcome vistors from other teams(especially when w''re about to play them) but there''s something odd about someone being on a forum 24/7 when they don''t support our team.

[/quote]

Its not too odd, its just that he wont admit that hes on here looking for transfer gossip to sell to the star for £20 a pop. He probably has about 10 forums open at a time. To be honest I dont really mind Cam being around, well at least 80% of the time.

[/quote]

£20 a pop?  Are you joking?

You won''t please some fans, the ones making posts such as the above are also the ones that will say we should be looking for lower league gems and bringing them through. Or you get the ones that arn''t happy unless we''re signing 11 Lionel Messi''s.

Spillane had a good season for Luton and had a season to get used to getting kicked about for 90 minutes, which is more than most of our players will be used to, If he''s done a good job then it''s worth a punt on trying one of our youth products at a slightly higher level, if he doesn''t adapt we''ve still got Docherty and Stefanovic who can play there.

Is it a great signing?   Its a sensible one, one full of future eastern promise and also one that was a complete no brainer as we have such a thin squad we could not let him leave, esp after a decent season with Luton.  He gives us cover in central midfield as well across the back.

but is he one to win us promotion?  I dont think so.

For a great signing would be Duberry, keeping clingan or hoolahoop or even signing Lee...

[quote user="ryan85k"]

I believe that Spillane will become a better player than Hoolohan or Lee.  Hoolohan has 1 Ireland cap, Alan Lee has 10 Ireland caps, but Spillane is touted in Ireland as the next big thing and the future captain of their national team. I personally think that we are under rating Spillane, the rest of the football world seems to rate him highly.

[/quote]

Can''t really compare any of those players when it comes to their job in the team. Although just on pure natural footballing ability Hoolahan is miles and miles ahead of Spillane.

Spillane might turn out to be a decent defensive player for us but that''s about it.

Who is the Irish captain at the moment? Robbie Keane?? In the past it was Roy Keane. I think it''d have to be a pretty poor generation of players for Spillane to be a key player and captain. No offence to the lad.

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="RustysRevenge"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

Spillane one of the best centre backs in league two?  How did he manage that considering he played almost all season as an attacking right back for Luton?  I wish people would actually watch come of these players before posting on here about how great they are. 

Also the word around here is that he would have signed for Luton if they had stayed up but didn''t want to play conference football hence the timing of him signing his contract extension with us just after they had been relegated when the contract had been on the table for at least a couple of months from us.

[/quote]

Just goes to show how little you know. Spillane played most of the season at centre back, only playing at right back when their first choice right back Asafu-Adjaye was injured. He played about 6 games at right back, and most Luton fans gave him credit for doing an ok job their. He has also played for Ireland under 21s this year as both centre back and centre midfield.

So back at you know it all. You may have happened to see Spillane at right back a couple of times, but my uncle is a Luton Town season ticket holder and he has just confirmed that Spillanes best position is centre back, where he has played most games for Luton. If you want me to give you my uncles telephone number he would be happy to put you in your place. In the meantime I suggest you get your own facts right before posting.

[/quote]

I saw Spillane play right back a lot more than 6 times last season.  I''d be interested to know which stand your uncle has a season ticket for as that must be a hell of a view to think he was playing centre back all that time, or was it just a made up uncle to try & make it look like you know what your talking about.  I''m surprised you didn''t pick up on what I said about the timing of him signing the contract or did you not think about pretending your great aunts dogs cousins sister is also his agent?   : p