Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

If this is the calibre of signings we are going to make....

This is where Gunn and his management team have to prove that they have what it takes.Given our rumoured financial position, they should be moving heaven and earth to acquire players who are out of contract or available for small fees but who can be moulded into a tough and skilful TEAM, hungry to show that they have what it takes to achieve at a higher level.The trick is going to be in putting together a balanced unit where some tough, hard bitten pros sit alongside some enthusiastic developing youngsters and one or two players of real quality.In order to attract the best of the ''freebies'' however, we have to show we have ambition to go with the facilities we have here which means that, if we do sell our few remaining quality players, we have to use the proceeds to bring in (permanent) replacements who are clearly a cut above the norm in our league.The follow on from this is that, with one or two exceptions, most of us will not have seen much if anything of our new signings. Whatever we think of the managerial team, it is not going to be changed now so we have to trust (hope) that they get the team building process right. To condemn new players before we have even seen them play is crazy and counterproductive in terms of attracting people here...(wouldn''t you look at a potential new club''s message boards before you signed?).Can we not agree to keep the pressure on the Board to sort out the funding /investment/ ownership and put right some of the disasters of the past but at least display some positivity towards the footballers who will carry our hopes and dreams into next season...

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"]This is where Gunn and his management team have to prove that they have what it takes.

Given our rumoured financial position, they should be moving heaven and earth to acquire players who are out of contract or available for small fees but who can be moulded into a tough and skilful TEAM, hungry to show that they have what it takes to achieve at a higher level.

The trick is going to be in putting together a balanced unit where some tough, hard bitten pros sit alongside some enthusiastic developing youngsters and one or two players of real quality.

In order to attract the best of the ''freebies'' however, we have to show we have ambition to go with the facilities we have here which means that, if we do sell our few remaining quality players, we have to use the proceeds to bring in (permanent) replacements who are clearly a cut above the norm in our league.

The follow on from this is that, with one or two exceptions, most of us will not have seen much if anything of our new signings. Whatever we think of the managerial team, it is not going to be changed now so we have to trust (hope) that they get the team building process right. To condemn new players before we have even seen them play is crazy and counterproductive in terms of attracting people here...(wouldn''t you look at a potential new club''s message boards before you signed?).

Can we not agree to keep the pressure on the Board to sort out the funding /investment/ ownership and put right some of the disasters of the past but at least display some positivity towards the footballers who will carry our hopes and dreams into next season...
[/quote]

The most sensible thing I have read on here for a while.

[quote user="Delia Out"]

It must be one of the biggest embarrassments any professional footballer could have - that in his 29th year, not one of his clubs has paid a penny or more in a transfer fee!

[/quote]

no ones ever paid a transfer fee for David Beckham in his 33rd year either... whats your point?

jas :)

I think it''s telling that, from the last 5 seasons, he has spent half his time in League 2 and half in the Conference.

The ages 23 - 28 should be some of the best in a footballers life. It''s odd that he should spend his prime years swimming between the 4th and 5th divisions

[quote user="Chabal"]

I think it''s telling that, from the last 5 seasons, he has spent half his time in League 2 and half in the Conference.

The ages 23 - 28 should be some of the best in a footballers life. It''s odd that he should spend his prime years swimming between the 4th and 5th divisions

[/quote]Could partly be down to fitness, partly about not having the right agent ?  Could he be any worse than Pattison, for example ?  Either way if he''s a capable squad player for us in this league then he''s a worthwhile signing.

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"]This is where Gunn and his management team have to prove that they have what it takes.

Given our rumoured financial position, they should be moving heaven and earth to acquire players who are out of contract or available for small fees but who can be moulded into a tough and skilful TEAM, hungry to show that they have what it takes to achieve at a higher level.

The trick is going to be in putting together a balanced unit where some tough, hard bitten pros sit alongside some enthusiastic developing youngsters and one or two players of real quality.

In order to attract the best of the ''freebies'' however, we have to show we have ambition to go with the facilities we have here which means that, if we do sell our few remaining quality players, we have to use the proceeds to bring in (permanent) replacements who are clearly a cut above the norm in our league.

The follow on from this is that, with one or two exceptions, most of us will not have seen much if anything of our new signings. Whatever we think of the managerial team, it is not going to be changed now so we have to trust (hope) that they get the team building process right. To condemn new players before we have even seen them play is crazy and counterproductive in terms of attracting people here...(wouldn''t you look at a potential new club''s message boards before you signed?).

Can we not agree to keep the pressure on the Board to sort out the funding /investment/ ownership and put right some of the disasters of the past but at least display some positivity towards the footballers who will carry our hopes and dreams into next season...
[/quote]

Good Post Yella... I saw him play and feel he''s not a bad signing... give the lad a chance. That''s the way to treat a new player who evidently really wants to play for NCFC!

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Chabal"]

[/quote]Could partly be down to fitness, partly about not having the right agent ?  Could he be any worse than Pattison, for example ?  Either way if he''s a capable squad player for us in this league then he''s a worthwhile signing.[/quote] Could he be worse than Pattison , i very much doubt hes anywhere near as good as Pattison .

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]

[/quote]

Good Post Yella... I saw him play and feel he''s not a bad signing... give the lad a chance. That''s the way to treat a new player who evidently really wants to play for NCFC!

[/quote]

Good point (and yes, I''ve seen him play as well).  Also found out this morning that I work with a very close friend of his and he informs me that not only has he got a good turn of pace and can pass the ball, he has also got a long throw.  Unfortunately, we have to cut our cloth to match our finances.  The sooner some people on the messageboard grasped this Primary School concept the better!

[quote user="Macca"]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Gill

"He was sent off in the 2007 Conference National playoff final for a headbutt, becoming the first player to receive the red card at the new Wembley Stadium."

Nice......

[/quote]A piece of text taken from a whole career is nothing to base an opinion, and could make you look a little silly...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinedine_ZidaneAs Zidane and Italy defender Marco Materazzi

were jogging up the pitch in close proximity of each other, they

briefly exchanged words after Materazzi was seen tugging at Zidane''s

jersey before Zidane began to walk away from him. Moments later, Zidane

suddenly stopped, turned around and rammed his head into Materazzi''s

chest, knocking him to the ground....I suppose you wouldn''t have wanted us to sign Zidane either ? [;)]

I shall wait to see him play before I make any firm judgments about his ability, but his career cv so far tells us a fair bit I think. Am I right in saying the highest level he''s played at is Third Division and he''s never commanded a transfer fee? Oh dear!

Mr G might be right in his thinking that Gill knows this division and therefore will be a great help in the dressing room and on the field, but I''m sure if the budget would stretch to it, and those types of players were keen to come here, he would much rather have players of Premiership standard such as Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes or Carrick etc etc, than 3rd Division footballers - I know I would. Thus City are once again buying from Poundland rather than Harrods.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Delia Out"]

It must be one of the biggest embarrassments any professional footballer could have - that in his 29th year, not one of his clubs has paid a penny or more in a transfer fee!

[/quote]

no ones ever paid a transfer fee for David Beckham in his 33rd year either... whats your point?

jas :)

[/quote]

Jas, he''s 29 and no transfer fee in his life ever, not just his 29th year.

[quote user="Pablo"]

I shall wait to see him play before I make any firm judgments about his ability, but his career cv so far tells us a fair bit I think. Am I right in saying the highest level he''s played at is Third Division and he''s never commanded a transfer fee? Oh dear!

Mr G might be right in his thinking that Gill knows this division and therefore will be a great help in the dressing room and on the field, but I''m sure if the budget would stretch to it, and those types of players were keen to come here, he would much rather have players of Premiership standard such as Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes or Carrick etc etc, than 3rd Division footballers - I know I would. Thus City are once again buying from Poundland rather than Harrods.

[/quote]Had you heard of any of these players before we had signed them ?Gunn - AberdeenCulverhouse - Spurs ReservesPrior - SouthendNewman - Bristol CityButterworth - Notts ForestFox - YouthGoss - youthCrook - Spurs reservesBowen - Spurs ReservesSutton - YouthRobbins - Man Utd ReservesPolston - Spurs ReservesEadie - YouthThat''s the nucleus of the UEFA Cup run in 1993.  With the exception of Robbins, none of them cost over 100k.

Were any of those players over 25 blah?  I`m all for going back to searching out those lower league gems but i fear things have changed- the big clubs tend to snaffle really talented youngsters early these days- and i don`t think there are too many examples of players working their way up the leagues to the top any more.  Still, i`d rather the likes of Gill than loans, but i don`t see where that bit of flair and class to win games is going to come from.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Were any of those players over 25 blah?  I`m all for going back to searching out those lower league gems but i fear things have changed- the big clubs tend to snaffle really talented youngsters early these days- and i don`t think there are too many examples of players working their way up the leagues to the top any more.  Still, i`d rather the likes of Gill than loans, but i don`t see where that bit of flair and class to win games is going to come from.[/quote]Do you need flair and class to win in division 3 ?  Or just a 6''7 oaf who can take punishment and win high balls and crosses from set-pieces ?

I am not being funny here, the people who knock people for being negative are the same people who go over the top in their support for two bob signings and City''s refusal to admit they have got things badly wrong. No lessons have been learned and it makes being positive is very hard, especially when we get free signings from exeter and he is put forward as some kind of world beater, please........................

[quote user="ricky knight"]I am not being funny here, the people who knock people for being negative are the same people who go over the top in their support for two bob signings and City''s refusal to admit they have got things badly wrong. No lessons have been learned and it makes being positive is very hard, especially when we get free signings from exeter and he is put forward as some kind of world beater, please........................[/quote] These same people probably said exactly the same thing about the signings of Thorne , Jarrett and Louis Jean , whoever we sign its they are a brilliant signing bla bla bla . Gill was playing non league 2 seasons ago and the peak of his career is playing for Exeter , keep on signing this level of player and we will be competing with Lowestoft before long .

[quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="ricky knight"]I am not being funny here, the people who knock people for being negative are the same people who go over the top in their support for two bob signings and City''s refusal to admit they have got things badly wrong. No lessons have been learned and it makes being positive is very hard, especially when we get free signings from exeter and he is put forward as some kind of world beater, please........................[/quote] These same people probably said exactly the same thing about the signings of Thorne , Jarrett and Louis Jean , whoever we sign its they are a brilliant signing bla bla bla . Gill was playing non league 2 seasons ago and the peak of his career is playing for Exeter , keep on signing this level of player and we will be competing with Lowestoft before long .
[/quote]

oh they did and Granty''s and Roeders boys too.... it is only natural that they are going to say exactly the same things about Gunny''s New Hero''s.

Some do seem to of learnt by the error of their ways however.

I''ll give the guy the benefit of the doubt until i see him play. Seems like the right sort of signing bearing in mind we have no money to play with.

At least he wants to be here and at least he seems to like winning. Whatever, he cannot do any worse than some of the muppets we had playing last season and who were probably earning more than £10k per week too!

My apologies to rk and Smudger but my pc is obviously not showing me all the posts on this board so I would be grateful if they could do the following:Please show me where other posters have been ''over the top'' in their support for our recent signing?Please also show me where he is being put forward as ''some kind of world beater?''Please also show me where anybody has suggested that there have not been things that were ''got badly wrong'' by the Board and the management?Also, as I am so lacking in football and financial expertise, I would really appreciate their considered opinion on which players we should be seeking to sign within the realistic budget constraints of a League One (Third Division ) club?Many thanks for your help.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

The big thing here is age.  Sign a 18-24 year old from the lower leagues with a bit about him (as all the players listed above) and you only have to throw in the word "potential" to win the argument.  A 28 year-old has reached and possibly passed his peak as a player- he won`t suddenly develop into a top player. 

That said, i am not overly negative about this signing as i think desire and hunger are 80% of what is required to get out of the third division (or even the Champs-remember Gary Holt?).  A few Gills could give us a good base, but we`ll need a bit of pace and flair going forward and i think most realise we simply can`t afford it- hence the negativity.

[/quote]A base of older players for the workers, with the flair made up of younger (and riskier) players in the more attacking positions is a good way to go imo.  Central Midfield  is a position at all levels of football where reliability is more important than flair and potential, and with Smith and Adeyemi coming through more inexperience in this position is not necessarily a good thing.Its the same reason I''d like us to sign a 35+ goalie who is doing his coaching badges rather than say a keeper who is around 27.

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"]My apologies to rk and Smudger but my pc is obviously not showing me all the posts on this board so I would be grateful if they could do the following:

Please show me where other posters have been ''over the top'' in their support for our recent signing?
Please also show me where he is being put forward as ''some kind of world beater?''
Please also show me where anybody has suggested that there have not been things that were ''got badly wrong'' by the Board and the management?

Also, as I am so lacking in football and financial expertise, I would really appreciate their considered opinion on which players we should be seeking to sign within the realistic budget constraints of a League One (Third Division ) club?

Many thanks for your help.
[/quote]

A 3rd Division club?  Is that what we are settling for now or are we being led to believe that we are going to build a squad capable of promotion?

I have no doubts that Gill may be good enough for mid-table at this level, but if he is of the quality for a team chasing promotion from this level then surely he was good enough to be signed to help us fight against the drop from the Championship last season?

Why if he is such a good player and is capable of playing at tope end of Div 1/bottom of the Championship level and was nearing the end of his contract was Gunny not in for him during the last transfer window???  He does after all make out that he has been following the player for quite some time.

I think if we were serious about winning promotion then we would of been putting a very early bid on the table for the likes of Rickie Lambert, but of course quality costs money and we don''t have any do we?

If we were to sign a player of that ilk then that would send a devestating message out to the rest of League 1 that Norwich are here to take this League by storm and to be very frightened indeed.

Instead other teams are looking at us and rubbing their hands thinking we can''t wait to play Norwich and turn them over.

To me it looks like we are settling in to being a nice mid-table League 1 team at best and we all know where that type of planning got us in the Championship don''t we?

[quote user="Smudger"]Why if he is such a good player and is capable of playing at tope end of Div 1/bottom of the Championship level and was nearing the end of his contract was Gunny not in for him during the last transfer window??? 

but of course quality costs money and we don''t have any do we?[/quote]See what you did smudger, you answered your own question.

If BG had gone in for him in January, he was still a contracted player and therefore would have cost a transfer fee.

Proves once again, you never think before you opens the gob! [;)]

For goodness'' sake.   We are a league 1 / 3rd tier club.    We means we need good league 1 / 3rd tier players to get us out of this division.    Not "premiership / championship quality" loanees who don''t care and / or fall over if challenged.

And we''re skint.    So, we need good league 1 / 3rd tier players at as little cost as possible.

Exeter are also a league 1 / 3rd tier club.   Gill was their players'' player of the year.  

Getting another league 1 / 3rd tier club''s players'' player of the year for free looks, on paper, like good business.  Especially at the age of 28 when he should be hitting his best years.  We shan''t know until we see him play, and I''d defer to anyone who has seen him play regularly, but for those who haven''t seen him either to complain because he''s not (a) better, or (b) more expensive, or (c) we haven''t put in a mega bid for someone else (with money we haven''t got) is a little delusional.

A good post Smudger.No, the last thing I, or I suspect most people on here, want is a prolonged spell in the Third Division.Having said that, without replaying all the old arguments about why we are here, we are where we are and have to put together a plan to get back (firstly) to the Championship.Realistically, we have severe budget constraints and must make the most of what we have. if you read my earlier post on this thread you will see what I believe to be the best we can afford this year- a combination of seasoned ''old heads'', skilful youngsters and one or two players with the ''wow'' factor. Gill, I see as one of the ''old heads'', experienced in the ways of the lower leagues and with the added bonus of coming from the area and having a natural desire to make good in his home City. Whether he can or will make it at higher level, nobody knows but I would like to think he sees playing for his ''home club'' as the best way of him having a shot at it.If you are honest, if Gunn had recruited him last year, you would have vilified him and said he should have been much more ambitious in his targets! We are in a different place now and need different solutions.Whatever happens, I would rather have two Gills than an Archibald whatever or Omo whatsisname from a Premiership youth team.Again, if you look at my earlier post, I agree that we need a couple of (relatively!) big name players to demonstrate our ambition- I don''t know enough about Rickie Lambert to judge whether he qualifies but I''ll take your word for it! The fact is, though, not every player will be in that category and, assuming we all want the same thing- a successful team- what is really critical is that, at least on the field and in the stands, we build a really strong team ethic and reserve our criticism for those in the Boardroom who are accountable.

18,000 season tickets in a league where most clubs get gates of around 7000 and we are pleading we are skint as the excuse for signing nobodies , when are you people going to wake up and realise Delia Smith is taking you all for mugs . 18,000 season tickets and they want the fans to donate a transfer kitty , Robert Chase must be wishing we had these celebrity fixated fans in his day , my god how this club has gone downhill since the sozzled cook got her hands on it .

I don''t do abuse but this post very nearly made me break the habit of a lifetime.How insulting is it to call a player who has made his way into the professional ranks, who by all accounts has been a much liked and valued clubman, has won awards from his fellow professionals and fans and who is now excitedly looking forward to playing for his home town club a ''NOBODY''?If you want to abuse the Board that''s one thing (although personally I prefer to condemn specific failures or mistakes and try to make constructive suggestions for improvement) but to condemn a player as a ''nobody'' before he''s even kicked a ball for the club, smacks of supreme arrogance.

You can debate whether or not he''s a nobody, but judging by the fact that he got sent off during his only appearance at Wembley for headbutting, he''s quite possibly an idiot.

I agree with Smudger-getting someone in like Rickie Lambert or similar, or, fantasy world, persuading Lita to come back here, whoever, WOULD send out a message of intent and ambition-to other clubs, to the supporters, to the players currently at the club.

But whatever your opinion, its damned if we do and damned if we don''t.

If Gill is the "type" of signing we are going to be aiming for-its either unambitious, doing things on the cheap, getting in an unknown-damned, in other words, if you do...

...however, if he had ended up going to Wycombe, with Peter Taylor extolling his virtues, then it would have been why didn''t we go for him, how could Wycombe had beaten us to a player, we''re unambitious bla bla bla....damned if you don''t!

There seems to be a need for the clubs actions, however and whatever they are, to be condemned instantly and without question. If we HAD signed Lambert, gone to a loan shark and borrowed the £2 Million or whatever it would have cost, then that would have been a bad decision-could have got three-four players for that money, watch prices go up now, "he''s crap", club putting all its eggs in one basket, why was it only us that went for him etc etc (people were saying exactly that when we signed Ashton, "why hadn''t someone bought him before now if he''s so good..." etc etc!

Like it or not, someone at the club thinks that Gill can do a job for us and the club have acted on that advice.

He might be another (for a season at least!) Damien Francis, signed on the cheap from Wimbledon. He may well replace Clingan as the focus of the midfield. Or he may not. There is no guarantee either way, as there isn''t with any player, theres no guarantee Kaka is going to be a hit at Real!

To get on our high horses and call him a "nobody" and give the same sort of abuse out to Exeter makes me think of those Wolves fans and their similar attitude and their "you''ve let us all down AGAIN" banners. Not good.

We are going to have to get as many as eight-ten players in this Summer,