Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

If this is the calibre of signings we are going to make....

To read just how well respected he has been at his old club have a look here:http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31965&page=16

IMHO he sounds like a gutsy player who they will miss hugely - and we have gained a competitive, inexpensive player who can complete in league one.Wazzock - you say some good stuff, but starting this thread was moronic.

[quote user="ACE"]To read just how well respected he has been at his old club have a look here:

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31965&page=16

IMHO he sounds like a gutsy player who they will miss hugely - and we have gained a competitive, inexpensive player who can complete in league one.

Wazzock - you say some good stuff, but starting this thread was moronic.
[/quote]

Thank you very much ''Happy ACE Clappy''. Head out of sand - PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, & your link does''nt work.

Here We have a perfect example of total arrogance in Norwich Fans, who cannot accept the situtation.

No we shouldnt have got relegated; but we did.

If i was ''happy clappy''i wouldnt have already claimed my rebate and i wouldnt have emailed the club at my dismay at Bryan Gunns inevitable appointment.

However, i have realised we are a league one club, and for a league one club Gills has the potential to be a good signing.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Voice of reason you don''t have a clue... Suggesting Norwich to sign Darren Beckford from Leeds? U really are silly to say that. A player who is at a club just as big, if not bigger than us.. He wants to leave because he believes he is better than League 1 which is a fair claim with the nuber of goals he is scoring... We are in sam League so he wouldn''t come.. He would demand very high wages as he see''s himself as an important goalscorer.. He has been said to cost well over the 1million mark. Some suggested clsoe to 3million although thats more unrealistic.. Norwich signing Beckford is like a team like Coventry signing Jimmy Bullard.. Get real... This new fella could be good/average/bad... Lets leave our thoughts on which category he falls under once we have seen him play about 20-times in a Norwich shirt yeah? His form for Exceter isn''t in doubt. Player of season and player of month awards... He score 9-goals from midfield... When was the last time we found a midfielder do that?? Huckerby proberably and he was a striker in his early days and played as an attacking winger/striker. He has Norwich links which fits in as a plus as the more hungry the better in this division. Showed in Champinship last season with numerous loan signings not showing hunger as they knew where they would be the following season and couldn''t care too much how Norwich did...[/quote]

I say ''Master'', Darren is perhaps a little too old now (at 42) & did''nt really do the business for us first time round! Certainly not at Leeds either!

Happy clappy?  Me?  Head out of sand?

You should read this forum and read my mosts a bit more closely.

[quote user="The Chirp"]people who slate this signing prob have never seen him play and clearly haven''t bothered to read up on the player... nor likely have any knowledge on the game.

If you had you would see 9 goals last season, back to back promotions, a player''s player of the year award and a league september player of the month award...

However, if you find it easier to moan and groan you will ignore all this and continue your negative attitude...

I for one am really pleased with this signing, he''s the sort of player we need... and i can''t wait for some people on here to eat their words.

And for your information, Sammy Clingan was on a nominal fee from wolves to forest and then a freebie to here... so as it stands all his moves have cost about as much as Gills.
[/quote]

i couldnt agree more if i tried. we are in the same league as exeter now and we are getting there best player. i think this could be brilliant signing.

[quote user="ACE"]Happy clappy?  Me?  Head out of sand?

[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA - YES!

[quote user="ryan1992"]

[quote user="The Chirp"]people who slate this signing prob have never seen him play and clearly haven''t bothered to read up on the player... nor likely have any knowledge on the game.

If you had you would see 9 goals last season, back to back promotions, a player''s player of the year award and a league september player of the month award...

However, if you find it easier to moan and groan you will ignore all this and continue your negative attitude...

I for one am really pleased with this signing, he''s the sort of player we need... and i can''t wait for some people on here to eat their words.

And for your information, Sammy Clingan was on a nominal fee from wolves to forest and then a freebie to here... so as it stands all his moves have cost about as much as Gills.
[/quote]

i couldnt agree more if i tried. we are in the same league as exeter now and we are getting there best player. i think this could be brilliant signing.

[/quote]

Oh Christ!

[quote user="The Voice Of Reason"]

[quote user="LQ"]Exactly - 9 goals in 46 games picking up 3 yellows and 1 red.

What is the problem here?

Some people were citing worse stats than that as reason for recalling (which was never an option) Spillane and the King of Beccles from that division!

And tell me which of our midfielders have a one in five goal to game ratio?

[/quote]

Can we really compare the below par performances of players led by our suspect managers over the past few seasons with that of a div 4 player, at best, who not too long ago was playing in front of 2500 people against Forest Green Rovers, drawing 3-3.

Ok we say he has potential, even though he is already 28, and he is not the finished article, so where is our team then? Why not sign someone like Jermaine Beckford for instance, a league 1 top scorer?

[/quote]

Don''t no what happen there. Gill will be a City player and hopefully play with passion and pride .Unlike the loan players who did so well last year!!.We are now Div 3 so we have got to get use to it.Why would Beckford come to Norwich? We can''t afford him anyway.Were in a whole new ball game there will be no big names. Those heady days. After all our player of the year scored lots didn''t he not.

[quote user="LQ"]Exactly - 9 goals in 46 games picking up 3 yellows and 1 red.

What is the problem here?

Some people were citing worse stats than that as reason for recalling (which was never an option) Spillane and the King of Beccles from that division!

And tell me which of our midfielders have a one in five goal to game ratio?

[/quote]

I take it you are not a fully paid up member of the Chris Martin fan club then LQ?

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]1st Wazzock - what sort of calibre of signings do you really think we are going to make given the circumstances?[/quote]

Well, let''s turn it back to you. What sort of signings do you want to see?

I would like to see the sort of signings that tell me the board are really sorry for the s**t that has been served up since we were relegated from the Prem, and they are doing their damnedest to get us back into the Championship (minimum requirement).

Or are you happy to have nearly full houses watching Blue Square Prem football ?

Is that too ambitious for you ?

[quote user="ACE"]To read just how well respected he has been at his old club have a look here:

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31965&page=16

IMHO he sounds like a gutsy player who they will miss hugely - and we have gained a competitive, inexpensive player who can complete in league one.

Wazzock - you say some good stuff, but starting this thread was moronic.
[/quote]

Can''t agree with that. We obviously have different levels of expectation.

yes but your levels of expection need names... who do you think we should be after? Is your level of expection realistic? We all want to be going after players who could play in the prem but they come at a serious price... not to mention wages... Your original post name and original post weren''t a million miles off mooronic.. that is unless you can pull out some names of players we could actually afford... Not having a go but there are quite a few people on here unhappy with this signing, and i would just love to know who you and the rst of them would like to be signing instead? im interested to know who would fit into the calibre of signing that you think we should be after...

this signing is appropriate and in accordance with our current predicament.ie no money, but is a player proven at this level, is not a loanee, is norwich born and bred, is on a free and comes from a winning team.He is exactly the sort of player we need, and i for one am happy with the signing.

[quote user="The Chirp"]people who slate this signing prob have never seen him play and clearly haven''t bothered to read up on the player... nor likely have any knowledge on the game.If you had you would see 9 goals last season, back to back promotions, a player''s player of the year award and a league september player of the month award...However, if you find it easier to moan and groan you will ignore all this and continue your negative attitude... I for one am really pleased with this signing, he''s the sort of player we need... and i can''t wait for some people on here to eat their words. And for your information, Sammy Clingan was on a nominal fee from wolves to forest and then a freebie to here... so as it stands all his moves have cost about as much as Gills. [/quote]Spot on Chirp, i have only positive thoughts about this signing. Didnt know he''d won back to back promotions, but surely a midfielder who has just spent to promotion winning seasons, as oppoesed to Darel Russell who, since his return, has enjoyed 2 relegation battles, one of which of course was fatal.I know who id rather have in our midfield this season.

[quote user="The Chirp"]yes but your levels of expection need names... who do you think we should be after? Is your level of expection realistic? We all want to be going after players who could play in the prem but they come at a serious price... not to mention wages... Your original post name and original post weren''t a million miles off mooronic.. that is unless you can pull out some names of players we could actually afford... Not having a go but there are quite a few people on here unhappy with this signing, and i would just love to know who you and the rst of them would like to be signing instead? im interested to know who would fit into the calibre of signing that you think we should be after... [/quote]just to add... if you can''t come up with realistic targets you must then see your post and outlook on norwich is too negative and needs to be amended a little in this case... remember you not knowing him as a player doesn''t make him rubbish...!the key to having an opinion you''re willing to voice is to be able to back it up with suitable evidence/options... if you can''t you will sadly look like a moron. 

[quote user="ACE"]Happy clappy?  Me?  Head out of sand?

[/quote]

Well said ACE, Delia Out, you really need to get your head out of your arse!

[quote user="The Chirp"][quote user="The Chirp"]yes but your levels of expection need names... who do you think we should be after?

Is your level of expection realistic? We all want to be going after players who could play in the prem but they come at a serious price... not to mention wages...

Your original post name and original post weren''t a million miles off mooronic.. that is unless you can pull out some names of players we could actually afford...

Not having a go but there are quite a few people on here unhappy with this signing, and i would just love to know who you and the rst of them would like to be signing instead?

im interested to know who would fit into the calibre of signing that you think we should be after...
[/quote]

just to add... if you can''t come up with realistic targets you must then see your post and outlook on norwich is too negative and needs to be amended a little in this case... remember you not knowing him as a player doesn''t make him rubbish...!

the key to having an opinion you''re willing to voice is to be able to back it up with suitable evidence/options... if you can''t you will sadly look like a moron. 
[/quote]

Thanks for that, I love you too.

Seriously though, the brother of some guy who plays for Wroxham - does that not tell you how far we have fallen. Do you not want better?

Sorry 1st Wazzock, but I can''t agree with you. I think with relegation, an already fit to bursting wage bill and obviously a lack of funding, players like Gills are all we can expect and indeed hope for. We have to hope that Gunny can find and attract players who clearly are rated by their own club and fans, who want to come here and take Norwich back into the Championship and are available on a contracted basis.Gills clearly ticks those boxes.As for my opinion on how good he is, none of us can surely be qualified to comment until we see him play. I say provided he ticks the boxes outlined above, let''s give the bloke a chance.

[quote user="1st Wazzock"]

[quote user="The Chirp"][quote user="The Chirp"]yes but your levels of expection need names... who do you think we should be after?

Is your level of expection realistic? We all want to be going after players who could play in the prem but they come at a serious price... not to mention wages...

Your original post name and original post weren''t a million miles off mooronic.. that is unless you can pull out some names of players we could actually afford...

Not having a go but there are quite a few people on here unhappy with this signing, and i would just love to know who you and the rst of them would like to be signing instead?

im interested to know who would fit into the calibre of signing that you think we should be after...
[/quote]

just to add... if you can''t come up with realistic targets you must then see your post and outlook on norwich is too negative and needs to be amended a little in this case... remember you not knowing him as a player doesn''t make him rubbish...!

the key to having an opinion you''re willing to voice is to be able to back it up with suitable evidence/options... if you can''t you will sadly look like a moron. 
[/quote]

Thanks for that, I love you too.

Seriously though, the brother of some guy who plays for Wroxham - does that not tell you how far we have fallen. Do you not want better?

[/quote]

What f**king difference does it make who his brother plays for? How good a footballer is Hucks brother? For gods sake get a grip man!

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]Sorry 1st Wazzock, but I can''t agree with you.

I think with relegation, an already fit to bursting wage bill and obviously a lack of funding, players like Gills are all we can expect and indeed hope for. We have to hope that Gunny can find and attract players who clearly are rated by their own club and fans, who want to come here and take Norwich back into the Championship and are available on a contracted basis.

Gills clearly ticks those boxes.

As for my opinion on how good he is, none of us can surely be qualified to comment until we see him play. I say provided he ticks the boxes outlined above, let''s give the bloke a chance.
[/quote]

I would just say that I take Waz''s point to a very small degree in that i do expect us to go out this summer and make a couple of signings that show that little bit extra intent, particularly if we sell Clingan and Hoolahan. the difference is that this summer such a signing would be finding £300K for Alan Lee whereas in the past it would have been £2m for Earnshaw. I would also like to see us show some intent by hanging on to Clingan or Hooly. Other than that i want to see 3 or 4 good, motivated players signed on proper contracts and Gill looks like a good start on that score. It could also be important that he''s 29 and not some spotty kid as we are likely to have a fair few youngsters in the squad next season anyway!

I wish some people would wake up & smell the roses...We''re a League 1 club now, not even a championship club.   This is a decent signing of the the type we should all expect.   Why on earth would a half-decent championship player want to drop a division?   We need to get very real, very quickly - our expectations need to be a lot more realistic!!!

[quote user="The Chirp"]voice of reason... get real? it'';s clear from the last couple of posts i have read that have been posted by you that you clearly don''t know much about football outside the championship or Norwich... I hope Exeter fans who will no doubt look on this board tonight see your post as they''ll laugh.

I could name many players who have been picked up from the lower divisions with worse records than Gill who are now deemed very decent Campionship players.

Do you think Reading fans moaned as much when they signed Doyle from the LOEire? Showed no ambition signing him did they... Or how about Hunt? Dumped by palace, went to Brentford did okay and then was given another chance of playing for a bigger club with reading.

Or... Eastwood now with Coventry

Or... Kightly of Wolves

Or... Mackail Smith? Boyd? Mclean? from peterborough...

His 9 goals and poy awards do show that he has the hunger.
[/quote]

The big thing here is age.  Sign a 18-24 year old from the lower leagues with a bit about him (as all the players listed above) and you only have to throw in the word "potential" to win the argument.  A 28 year-old has reached and possibly passed his peak as a player- he won`t suddenly develop into a top player. 

That said, i am not overly negative about this signing as i think desire and hunger are 80% of what is required to get out of the third division (or even the Champs-remember Gary Holt?).  A few Gills could give us a good base, but we`ll need a bit of pace and flair going forward and i think most realise we simply can`t afford it- hence the negativity.

[quote]That said, i am not overly negative about this signing as i think

desire and hunger are 80% of what is required to get out of the third

division[/quote]So that''s why you want the restaurant closed down, you want hungry players !  [;)]

WE''RE IN LEAGUE ONEHopefully that''s made it clear. What are people expecting? Yes, our club has fallen as someone said. But the fact is, we''re in League One now. So any permenent signings we make are going to be League One quality. I''ve never seen Matt Gill play so i can''t pass a judgement. However, he was perhaps Exeters best player. So, we''ve signed a player from our League, who is regarded as the teams best player. We got him on a free, saving money. He''s a local lad. I don''t think we can ask for much more when we''re in this position.