Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

If this is the calibre of signings we are going to make....

[quote user="1st Wazzock"]

...I think the rebate should be quadrupled.

How far we have fallen - shakes head. [:(]

[/quote]

At least he is not here on loan, that''s a plus surely ?

It must be one of the biggest embarrassments any professional footballer could have - that in his 29th year, not one of his clubs has paid a penny or more in a transfer fee!

I THINK WE NOW KNOW THE SORT OF BUDGET & TYPE OF SIGNING GUNN IS GOING TO BE WORKING WITH!

[quote user="Bigus"]Players reach their peak at 28.[/quote]

Are you saying that Matt Gill, being 28 already, can''t look forward to substantial improvement? His record of scoring once every 19.76 games could probably do with being improved, IMHO.

people who slate this signing prob have never seen him play and clearly haven''t bothered to read up on the player... nor likely have any knowledge on the game.If you had you would see 9 goals last season, back to back promotions, a player''s player of the year award and a league september player of the month award...However, if you find it easier to moan and groan you will ignore all this and continue your negative attitude... I for one am really pleased with this signing, he''s the sort of player we need... and i can''t wait for some people on here to eat their words. And for your information, Sammy Clingan was on a nominal fee from wolves to forest and then a freebie to here... so as it stands all his moves have cost about as much as Gills.

[quote user="The Chirp"]people who slate this signing prob have never seen him play and clearly haven''t bothered to read up on the player... nor likely have any knowledge on the game.

If you had you would see 9 goals last season, back to back promotions, a player''s player of the year award and a league september player of the month award...

However, if you find it easier to moan and groan you will ignore all this and continue your negative attitude...

I for one am really pleased with this signing, he''s the sort of player we need... and i can''t wait for some people on here to eat their words.

And for your information, Sammy Clingan was on a nominal fee from wolves to forest and then a freebie to here... so as it stands all his moves have cost about as much as Gills.
[/quote]

Most City fans will not have seen him play - as he has played at levels below those we expect & deserve of a club of our size. FOR GOD''S SAKE WAKE UP & REALISE WHAT A SORRY STATE OUR CLUB IS IN.

[quote user="The Chirp"]people who slate this signing prob have never seen him play and clearly haven''t bothered to read up on the player... nor likely have any knowledge on the game.

If you had you would see 9 goals last season, back to back promotions, a player''s player of the year award and a league september player of the month award...

However, if you find it easier to moan and groan you will ignore all this and continue your negative attitude...

I for one am really pleased with this signing, he''s the sort of player we need... and i can''t wait for some people on here to eat their words.

And for your information, Sammy Clingan was on a nominal fee from wolves to forest and then a freebie to here... so as it stands all his moves have cost about as much as Gills.
[/quote]

Get Real

Exeter City''s players player award.

9 goals in division 4 having played 46 games

Exactly - 9 goals in 46 games picking up 3 yellows and 1 red.What is the problem here?Some people were citing worse stats than that as reason for recalling (which was never an option) Spillane and the King of Beccles from that division!And tell me which of our midfielders have a one in five goal to game ratio?

[/quote]

I think I''m right in saying we were in the Prem when Exeter were in the Blue Square Premier.

Prudence.........

[quote user="1st Wazzock"]

...I think the rebate should be quadrupled.

How far we have fallen - shakes head. [:(]

[/quote]

i still think a lot of fans like you still think we are in the championship and can''t accept were in lge1

Well Said Chirpy

What, people have to realise is that we are now a league one club; we have just signed the player of the season from a club in the same league. Just because it''s exeter doesnt matter a hoot; Newcastle and Blackpool are Massively different, they are both Championship Clubs now.

It appears that Gill was a slow starter judging by his moves; but a certain Mr Huckerby didnt peak and settle till his late twenties; as Chirp said, he has been a regular in back to back promotions; and although hes not proven at our level, surely being player of the year in a promoted team from the league below helps to prove he can cut it.

Moan Moan Moan

[quote user="LQ"]Exactly - 9 goals in 46 games picking up 3 yellows and 1 red.

What is the problem here?

Some people were citing worse stats than that as reason for recalling (which was never an option) Spillane and the King of Beccles from that division!

And tell me which of our midfielders have a one in five goal to game ratio?

[/quote]

Can we really compare the below par performances of players led by our suspect managers over the past few seasons with that of a div 4 player, at best, who not too long ago was playing in front of 2500 people against Forest Green Rovers, drawing 3-3.

Ok we say he has potential, even though he is already 28, and he is not the finished article, so where is our team then? Why not sign someone like Jermaine Beckford for instance, a league 1 top scorer?

voice of reason... get real? it'';s clear from the last couple of posts i have read that have been posted by you that you clearly don''t know much about football outside the championship or Norwich... I hope Exeter fans who will no doubt look on this board tonight see your post as they''ll laugh. I could name many players who have been picked up from the lower divisions with worse records than Gill who are now deemed very decent Campionship players. Do you think Reading fans moaned as much when they signed Doyle from the LOEire? Showed no ambition signing him did they... Or how about Hunt? Dumped by palace, went to Brentford did okay and then was given another chance of playing for a bigger club with reading. Or... Eastwood now with CoventryOr... Kightly of WolvesOr... Mackail Smith? Boyd? Mclean? from peterborough... His 9 goals and poy awards do show that he has the hunger.

To be honest watching the players we have had on loan from other clubs these past two seasons and their crap attitude, I welcome any  new Norwich players we sign 

[quote user="Bigus"]Players reach their peak at 28.[/quote]

My brother''s testicals dropped off when he was 28.....

It''s a tricky age to be believe me........

Voice of reason you don''t have a clue... Suggesting Norwich to sign Darren Beckford from Leeds? U really are silly to say that. A player who is at a club just as big, if not bigger than us.. He wants to leave because he believes he is better than League 1 which is a fair claim with the nuber of goals he is scoring... We are in sam League so he wouldn''t come.. He would demand very high wages as he see''s himself as an important goalscorer.. He has been said to cost well over the 1million mark. Some suggested clsoe to 3million although thats more unrealistic.. Norwich signing Beckford is like a team like Coventry signing Jimmy Bullard.. Get real... This new fella could be good/average/bad... Lets leave our thoughts on which category he falls under once we have seen him play about 20-times in a Norwich shirt yeah? His form for Exceter isn''t in doubt. Player of season and player of month awards... He score 9-goals from midfield... When was the last time we found a midfielder do that?? Huckerby proberably and he was a striker in his early days and played as an attacking winger/striker. He has Norwich links which fits in as a plus as the more hungry the better in this division. Showed in Champinship last season with numerous loan signings not showing hunger as they knew where they would be the following season and couldn''t care too much how Norwich did...

[quote user="The Voice Of Reason"]

[quote user="LQ"]Exactly - 9 goals in 46 games picking up 3 yellows and 1 red.

What is the problem here?

Some people were citing worse stats than that as reason for recalling (which was never an option) Spillane and the King of Beccles from that division!

And tell me which of our midfielders have a one in five goal to game ratio?

[/quote]

Can we really compare the below par performances of players led by our suspect managers over the past few seasons with that of a div 4 player, at best, who not too long ago was playing in front of 2500 people against Forest Green Rovers, drawing 3-3.

Ok we say he has potential, even though he is already 28, and he is not the finished article, so where is our team then? Why not sign someone like Jermaine Beckford for instance, a league 1 top scorer?

[/quote]

Who is saying that he is not the finished article? Gunn hasnt said that, Gills hasnt said that, Exeter fans certainly havent said that. Stop fabricating.

[quote user="The Chirp"]voice of reason... get real? it'';s clear from the last couple of posts i have read that have been posted by you that you clearly don''t know much about football outside the championship or Norwich... I hope Exeter fans who will no doubt look on this board tonight see your post as they''ll laugh.

I could name many players who have been picked up from the lower divisions with worse records than Gill who are now deemed very decent Campionship players.

Do you think Reading fans moaned as much when they signed Doyle from the LOEire? Showed no ambition signing him did they... Or how about Hunt? Dumped by palace, went to Brentford did okay and then was given another chance of playing for a bigger club with reading.

Or... Eastwood now with Coventry

Or... Kightly of Wolves

Or... Mackail Smith? Boyd? Mclean? from peterborough...

His 9 goals and poy awards do show that he has the hunger.
[/quote]

http://www.thisiswesternmorningnews.co.uk/livingcornwall/Exeter-ace-Gill-loving-goalscoring-spree/article-361726-detail/article.html

He has a good goal scoring season which suprised his team mates.

I''m not against the likes of Cody Mcdonald being plucked from obscurity, fantastic, however he,s 23 years old, lots of room for improvement and progression.

Matt Gills is 28, his team mates were suprised to see him on the score sheet at all last season because of his playing history (see above link), and this is at div 4 level.

I really hope he does well and scores a hat full this season, I''m not sure he is the answer though. Maybe we will be astounded by some really strong signings over the next week or two which will enable the younger or lower div players to develop their game without being under too much pressure, as it stands today, City are gonna struggle.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Voice of reason you don''t have a clue... Suggesting Norwich to sign Darren Beckford from Leeds? U really are silly to say that. A player who is at a club just as big, if not bigger than us.. He wants to leave because he believes he is better than League 1 which is a fair claim with the nuber of goals he is scoring... We are in sam League so he wouldn''t come.. He would demand very high wages as he see''s himself as an important goalscorer.. He has been said to cost well over the 1million mark. Some suggested clsoe to 3million although thats more unrealistic.. Norwich signing Beckford is like a team like Coventry signing Jimmy Bullard.. Get real... This new fella could be good/average/bad... Lets leave our thoughts on which category he falls under once we have seen him play about 20-times in a Norwich shirt yeah? His form for Exceter isn''t in doubt. Player of season and player of month awards... He score 9-goals from midfield... When was the last time we found a midfielder do that?? Huckerby proberably and he was a striker in his early days and played as an attacking winger/striker. He has Norwich links which fits in as a plus as the more hungry the better in this division. Showed in Champinship last season with numerous loan signings not showing hunger as they knew where they would be the following season and couldn''t care too much how Norwich did...[/quote]

like norwich signing ashton or earnshaw?

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Voice of reason you don''t have a clue... Suggesting Norwich to sign Darren Beckford from Leeds? U really are silly to say that. A player who is at a club just as big, if not bigger than us.. He wants to leave because he believes he is better than League 1 which is a fair claim with the nuber of goals he is scoring... We are in sam League so he wouldn''t come.. He would demand very high wages as he see''s himself as an important goalscorer.. He has been said to cost well over the 1million mark. Some suggested clsoe to 3million although thats more unrealistic.. Norwich signing Beckford is like a team like Coventry signing Jimmy Bullard.. Get real... This new fella could be good/average/bad... Lets leave our thoughts on which category he falls under once we have seen him play about 20-times in a Norwich shirt yeah? His form for Exceter isn''t in doubt. Player of season and player of month awards... He score 9-goals from midfield... When was the last time we found a midfielder do that?? Huckerby proberably and he was a striker in his early days and played as an attacking winger/striker. He has Norwich links which fits in as a plus as the more hungry the better in this division. Showed in Champinship last season with numerous loan signings not showing hunger as they knew where they would be the following season and couldn''t care too much how Norwich did...[/quote]

like norwich signing ashton or earnshaw?

[/quote]

Like Norwich signig Ashton in the PREMIERSHIP or like Norwich signing Earnshaw with PARACHUTE PAYMENTS.

Voice of Reason? never has a username seemed so inappropriate.

He does realise what state the club is in but we are in league 1 - we wont be getting championship players this season - or at least not unless they are knock off ones.Cody MacDonald who a lot of people are touting around as the man to score 20 goals next season has less experience than Gill who has played at this level before.Lets give the chap a chance and see what he has got. Maybe Crook will get the best out of him. If 28 is to old then I would point you in the direction of some of Stoke, Hull and Barnsleys players. Some of them are old and some had not played in the premiership before - some not in the championship for very long.Yeah we are in a sorry state - but we need players otherwise we will be in an even more sorry state, and whilst this guy may not be as good as some of the players that have trod on our hallowed turf in the past he only needs to be good enough to get us promoted. If we get promoted we will then see what he is made of at the next level because most reports and opinions I have read about him suggest that he should be at least capable at this level and as others have said if you look at central midfield we will be lucky to have one of the three left who are on the books for that position at the moment - Russell, Clingan and Patty..

as it stands today, City are gonna struggle.

[/quote]

Yes but its the 9th June, you realise that we have 2 months until we play a single minute of competitive football dont you?

What is the obsession with his scoring record?  If he gets it to the fecking strikers, who cares?I like a good moan as you all know, and I am sick of the way the club has been run and is falling, but some of the toss spoken on here today about this guy is unbelievable.He is the first of many (we hope) and would have been playing AGAINST us if we had not signed him.  So he cant be that bad can he you bloody fools !

[quote user="ACE"]What is the obsession with his scoring record?  If he gets it to the fecking strikers, who cares?

I like a good moan as you all know, and I am sick of the way the club has been run and is falling, but some of the toss spoken on here today about this guy is unbelievable.

He is the first of many (we hope) and would have been playing AGAINST us if we had not signed him.  So he cant be that bad can he you bloody fools !
[/quote]

We always live in hope..... [;)]

[quote user="chicken"] if you look at central midfield we will be lucky to have one of the three left who are on the books for that position at the moment - Russell, Clingan and Patty..
[/quote]

I put my money on Gill being better than either Russell or Pattison unless they seriously sort out their mentalities and fitness levels. Clingan is of course different class, but in my opinion Pattison and Russell are no better than League One standard and both were liabilities at times last year. I cross my fingers that Russell and Pattison do leave, because I bet my bottom dollar that they are on very good money.

The problem is that I cant see Russell or Pattison (especially Pattison) being able to improve their current deals, and as such we are probably stuck with them.

[quote user="Huddy "]

Well Said Chirpy

What, people have to realise is that we are now a league one club; we have just signed the player of the season from a club in the same league. Just because it''s exeter doesnt matter a hoot; Newcastle and Blackpool are Massively different, they are both Championship Clubs now.

It appears that Gill was a slow starter judging by his moves; but a certain Mr Huckerby didnt peak and settle till his late twenties; as Chirp said, he has been a regular in back to back promotions; and although hes not proven at our level, surely being player of the year in a promoted team from the league below helps to prove he can cut it.

Moan Moan Moan

[/quote]

Here we have a perfect example of ''HAPPY CLAPPY''!