Sign in to follow this  
mickey phelans tash

What Happens..

[quote user="mickey phelans tash"]

...once every team in the Premiership has their multi billionaire owners. Will relegation be abolished and finnishing between1st and 20th will qualify for Champions League football.

[/quote]

The start of the European Super League which has been discussed for years now. This will mean that you can only be elected into the rich and famous, thus the end of football as we know it.

Unfortunatly i do agree with Delia on one thing: Money IS killing football

[quote user="mickey phelans tash"]

...once every team in the Premiership has their multi billionaire owners. Will relegation be abolished and finnishing between1st and 20th will qualify for Champions League football.

[/quote]

Yes, that is exactly what will happen in my opinion with games played abroad as well.  I am quite convinced that is the ultimate ambition and I think mega rich consortiums know that.  This is their chance to get in before the door slams on everyone else.  If it''s February the fixtures must be in China.  That is what they want, I believe.  That and the Middle East and the Far East.

Yes money is ruining football and the worst part about it is that Norwich City and other teams like them are doing just what the big boys want and helping them make even more money.

Consider the loan system for one moment. The system was started to help clubs in trouble, clubs with an injury crisis and clubs with financial problems. Nowadays it is one of the ways the rich get richer and the poorer clubs like Norwich are kept poor. In the past clubs from the lower leagues had the chance of picking up decent reserve players from Division One clubs to give them a chance of regular first team football. Norwich did this on several occasions and developed good players, increased their values and made handsome profits to allow the club to progress. In recent years that scenario is out of the window. No Premiership club will sell a young player, who they are not going to give games to, in case he turns into another multi million pound player. Instead clubs like Norwich are encouraged to loan the player, develop the player, pay his wages, increase his value and then have no chance of signing him on a permanent basis. Take a look at the prime example, David Bentley. Bentley never played one game for Arsenal in the Premiership. Instead he firstly came to us on loan, then went to Blackburn on loan before being signed by Blackburn for £7.5M I believe. Who did the loan system benefit there? How much did we get for giving him the exposure and developing him? Arsenal’s bench about three games ago consisted of seven players who had two Premiership appearances between them ... all youngsters .... how many of them are going to be farmed out next season so that they can have their values increased. Then those who do not quite make it can be sold for a nice fee. It is not just Arsenal who are doing it, just about all the Premiership clubs do it, we even had a loanee from relegated Middlesboro last season. How much did that cost us and how much did his experience of first team football increase his value .... and at whose expense?

Unless changes are made soon football will become even more elitist where the top four might, and only might, become a top six because of massive cash injections and the rest of the teams will always be also rans.

Ban the loaning of players now, except in exceptional circumstances, and copy the American sport leagues, where money has always been a major factor, and introduce squad limitation. Personally I would like to see a maximum number of players over the age of 21 allowed at every club. Under 21 is different as they are still being developed, but on a player’s 21st birthday their club would have to make up their minds, let the player go or keep the player and consequently let another player go. Now that would be an exciting and interesting situation.

There’s much more that could be mentioned but perhaps that’s enough to start with!

Some excellent points there Yellow Wall

I agree that the loan system has changed to the detriment of the game.

Maximum squad sizes is another possible answer (30 players ought to be enough for the Premiership teams)

On the wider point about games abroad I heard Richard Scudamore say that it was ironic that the British media welcomed the NFL game at Wembley with open arms but was dead set against the idea of Premiership games being played abroad. I think that means that Scudamore still harbours a desire to see it happen.

[quote user="Sideshow Tim"][quote user="mickey phelans tash"]

[/quote]

The start of the European Super League which has been discussed for years now. This will mean that you can only be elected into the rich and famous, thus the end of football as we know it.

Unfortunatly i do agree with Delia on one thing: Money IS killing football

[/quote]a football owner without multi millions would say that.........but i do agree a little...if players wages had been capped we would not be in this mess

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]but i do agree a little...if players wages had been capped we would not be in this mess[/quote]DELIA IS INNOCENT!  lol. [:D]

Limits on players wages? Whatever next?Hang on a minute, didn''t that evil Neil Doncaster say something about that in one of his EDP musings a while ago*

*stands back and waits for general "yeah but''s"...[;)]

Good stuff.I am all for an American style wage cap where you have a wage structure where one or two named players per team can be paid outside of that cap.On top of that perhaps a transfer cap as well - not unlike what the F1 bosses were proposing where each team had to spend no more than £40million on a car. Perhaps in this case it would be a team.You could always include incentives to this such as players being awarded bonuses for league positioning which could be overseen by the FA. So fo example the teams that make progress get a larger finishing bonus than those that do not.Another factor I would introduce is that it would be complusery for all players to have a FIFA regulated agent with caps on what the agents can earn per player. Cut out all of the oppertunities for coruption.However I don''t see this ever happening because the gazillionaires would get angry that their favourite toy wasn''t as good as it used to be. Perhaps the creation of a Super League may just enable the football league to do it.I think it would be disastrous for clubs to go off and form a world super league or european super league. They may as well re-locate because it would effectively be like the MK Dons fallout. They wouldn''t be Manchester Utd anymore, they would be the Manchester Continental FC or something just as meaningless.In fact I would go as far as saying that should Norwich ever choose to join such a league I would no longer support them. Harsh it may be but if I want to see a team do well internationally I want it to be England, if it is domestically I want it to be Norwich. The champs league is good enough as is.

Money isn''t killing football, it''s a over used BS cliche.  Used by poor envious cry babies.If it''s killing football...Why has The Champs League been dominated by English teams?Why generally do the Prem League have a large proportion of the best European players?Why do teams like Stoke, Wigan, Hull etc etc make it to the Prem League and compete?Yes, wages are crazy for a minority of players,  but actually killing football... Ballcocks with a capital B

[quote user="chicken"]I think it would be disastrous for clubs to go off and form a world super league or european super league. They may as well re-locate because it would effectively be like the MK Dons fallout. They wouldn''t be Manchester Utd anymore, they would be the Manchester Continental FC or something just as meaningless.

[/quote]I''m not saying it''s right or wrong, but does it make any difference?  Top teams like Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea etc etc have far more so called fans who have never attended their ground than who actually do.  Just look around Norfolk,  go to Yarmouth, Norwich, Dereham, King''s Lynn etc, and count how many wear football team shirts, then weigh up of those who purely follow their chosen team via a TV Set. 

You''ll always get the Stokes, Hulls, Burnleys etc and it''s a bloody good job you do. However these clubs cannot ans will not compete against the big players WITH MONEY.

Yes i am bloody envious and i for one would be delighted if a billionaire consortium would use us as a plaything, but it aint gonna happen.

Champions League is dominated by English Clubs because the Premier League is where the money is!

football is a business now and as in any business, the more money you have the more successful you will become.

Football has a lot to do with greed.  It''s no longer relative to size of fan base, amount of season ticket holders etc etc.  The majority of clubs don''t break even, it''s simply down to money.  Football has become a toy for the rich in a relatively short amount of time and the sooner it implodes on itself frankly the better.  All very sad really.

[quote user="Sideshow Tim"]

You''ll always get the Stokes, Hulls, Burnleys etc and it''s a bloody good job you do. However these clubs cannot ans will not compete against the big players WITH MONEY.

Yes i am bloody envious and i for one would be delighted if a billionaire consortium would use us as a plaything, but it aint gonna happen.

Champions League is dominated by English Clubs because the Premier League is where the money is!

football is a business now and as in any business, the more money you have the more successful you will become.

[/quote]I can''t argue too much with that,  what I disagree with, is the point that football is being killed.Also another point which often gets overlooked by Delia & Co crying about the Prem League being awash with money, they also fail to tell you the top clubs especially are £100s of millions in debt.

But, as has been discussed on here before, your club may well have suffered in the league you have just left through another dodge which some championship clubs are using.  According to Doncaster a couple of months ago you were at that time up to date with your tax and VAT payments.  A recent report says Football League clubs owe £50m or more to the taxman and between £25-30m of that was in the championship.  No doubt some of those clubs spent the money on players or offering wages you could not afford.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

But, as has been discussed on here before, your club may well have suffered in the league you have just left through another dodge which some championship clubs are using.  According to Doncaster a couple of months ago you were at that time up to date with your tax and VAT payments.  A recent report says Football League clubs owe £50m or more to the taxman and between £25-30m of that was in the championship.  No doubt some of those clubs spent the money on players or offering wages you could not afford.

[/quote]Ah yes - our little club, too honest for their own good... pull the other one.