Sign in to follow this  
MPR

Article about Newcastle, pertinent to our own situation

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/matthew_syed/article6367739.ece

Well done for bringing this onto the message board MPR.

I read the whole piece in the paper this morning and as a Norwich supporter I thought I must be in a parallel universe. It''s so right when the author says that sentiment should be dis-regarded and someone with no emotional baggage brought in to run the show.

It''s a pity what''s left of the Norwich Board let their heart rule their head when they re appointed Bryan Gunn.

Fantastic article...

I think Newcastle will get it somewhat right next season regardless of who is their manager though.

The amount of money they have should talk in the fizzy pop league.

We are however stuck with all of their problems, plus we are too skint to even finance a team capable of a top ten finish in the 3rd tier.

Very good article. No wonder he is writer of the year. We should have plumped for someone with a hell of a lot of experience. But we didn''t, so like I said, I will support Gunn, albeit with gritted teeth.

[quote user="Smudger"]

Fantastic article...

I think Newcastle will get it somewhat right next season regardless of who is their manager though.

We are however stuck with all of their problems, plus we are too skint to even finance a team capable of a top ten finish in the 3rd tier.

[/quote]They are actually in bigger debt than City!

Interesting article but as somebody pointed out in the comments below, Pep Guardiola rather calls into question the argument about novice legends. To say that the article "says it all" misses a lot.

Badger, there''s a little more to Guardiola than just the "it''s his first season in charge"

Guardiola was appointed coach of FC Barcelona B on 21 June 2007. Under his guidance, the team subsequently won their Tercera División group and qualified for the 2008 Segunda División B playoffs.[9] FC Barcelona president Joan Laporta announced before the end of the 2007-08 season that Josep Guardiola would be appointed manager of FC Barcelona to replace Frank Rijkaard at the end of the season.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josep_Guardiola

He has experience, albeit at reserve level, though I''m sure may who saw Barca lose the first game of the season under a semi-novie manager would have been questioning the decision.

We were trying to think yesterday of a player from the modern premiership era who has gone on to be a truly successful manager. The top 4- Fergie, Wenger, Hiddink and Benitez are all old school managers and then Moyes, Hodgson and O''Neill have been around for a long time. The chances of Gunn or Shearer succeeding would appear to be minimal.

I agree in theory, but do take issue with applying this bit here to our situation:"This club do not need love; they need to be stripped clean of all

sentimentality. They need a man who feels nothing but contempt for the

position Newcastle now find themselves in and who is prepared to ignore the

mass of fans and their hare-brained schemes.

They need a man who can state the truths the supporters do not want to hear;

who can perform reconstructive surgery on a team that have lost all

semblance of unity and coherence; a man who is hard-headed, hard-nosed and

has spent hardly any time on Tyneside and is thus untainted by the delirium"

We tried this, didn''t we... his name was Glenn Roeder... we hailed the revolution as he stripped the club bare, but how quickly things change........

[quote user="MPR"]Badger, there''s a little more to Guardiola than just the "it''s his first season in charge"

Guardiola was appointed coach of FC Barcelona B on 21 June 2007. Under his guidance, the team subsequently won their Tercera División group and qualified for the 2008 Segunda División B playoffs.[9] FC Barcelona president Joan Laporta announced before the end of the 2007-08 season that Josep Guardiola would be appointed manager of FC Barcelona to replace Frank Rijkaard at the end of the season.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josep_Guardiola

He has experience, albeit at reserve level, though I''m sure may who saw Barca lose the first game of the season under a semi-novie manager would have been questioning the decision.

We were trying to think yesterday of a player from the modern premiership era who has gone on to be a truly successful manager. The top 4- Fergie, Wenger, Hiddink and Benitez are all old school managers and then Moyes, Hodgson and O''Neill have been around for a long time. The chances of Gunn or Shearer succeeding would appear to be minimal.[/quote]Still not very experienced though, and none as first team manager.Re your second point - it depends on where you define "modern." Dalgleish and Keegan did well until they burnt out.

[quote user="Smudger"]

Fantastic article...

[/quote]

Thank you Smudger for that piece of realism. I cannot agree with a lot of your posts but this part I certainly cannot disagree.

Any manager at all would find it difficult to do well with our decimated club and perhaps even in that position we have what we can afford. So perhaps he needs all the help he can be given instead of constant criticism from those who are still feeling sorry for themselves and the club and they should also be realistic and realise that any ''proven'' manager with any sense at all would stay well clear of Norwich City as he would be on a hiding to nothing. I will also agree with your many posts about where the blame really lies!