Sign in to follow this  
Robbie Boy

New Players

Just imagine that this here internet thing was around a few years ago.

Picture the scene, it''s October 1985 and NCFC announce the signing of an unheard of full back from Spurs. Cue howls of derision from contributors to this forum.

Or June 1986 and another Spurs reserve signs on. Or July 1986 and another Spurs defender joins.

Or July 1984 and we have the cheek to sign a central defender from Gillingham of all places.

Or June 1985, a forward from Grimsby.

Or September 1968, a central defender from Colchester.

Or October 1986, a goalkeeper from Aberdeen reserves.

Or July 1963, a goalkeeper from Wrexham.

Or March 1975, a supposedly past it 32 year old midfielder from Spurs.

Or July 1990, yet another defender from Spurs.

If these signings had happened now, this forum would be full of what lack of ambition we have, what are we doing signing reserve players or those seen as past it etc etc.

So when we do make signings this summer - which we will - can we please not have the usual abuse.

As I understand it, there''s something like 700 players out of contract this summer. All they all rubbish? No, of course they''re not. Many will have run their contract out and are looking around for a decent club.

Let''s not forget, we are a huge attraction for players. If you had spent the first 8-10 years of your career in the lower leagues playing in delapidated stadiums in front of paltry crowds, the chance to play at Carra Rud in front of 20,000+ every other week would be one you''d jump at.

We need a team of players committed to the cause. How many times over the past few seasons has our committment from the stands been met like for like on the pitch? I, for one, am sick of walking past the players'' car park looking at their shiny expensive toys knowing that most of them don''t really give a sh1t.

Those signings?

Ian Culverhouse, Ian Crook, Mark Bowen, Steve Bruce, Kevin Drinkell, Duncan Forbes, Bryan Gunn, Kevin Keelan, Martin Peters and John Polston.

What a waste of money they all turned out to be....................

Good old making up ridiculous facts to fit a point.On a day at some point in the past - we signed a Goalkeeper/Defender/Midfielder/Striker - we all thought he was good signing and he was RUBBISH

the above points are about as relevant as your initial post

[quote user="Billabong Willytickle"]Good old making up ridiculous facts to fit a point.

On a day at some point in the past - we signed a Goalkeeper/Defender/Midfielder/Striker - we all thought he was good signing and he was RUBBISH

the above points are about as relevant as your initial post
[/quote]

What the hell is your problem?  The original post was a well researched and well put post amongst the current crap we are seeing on here and did not deserve such an ignorant and childish response. Maybe you should clear off and carry out your user name to yourself.

Well that was a predictable response!

For Christ''s sake, the point I was trying to make is that it is highly likely the signings we make will be from the lower leagues and players that many of us will not have heard of.

But because of that does not mean that they will automatically be rubbish.

So get back under whatever stone you crawled from.

[quote user="jbghost"]

[quote user="Billabong Willytickle"]Good old making up ridiculous facts to fit a point.On a day at some point in the past - we signed a Goalkeeper/Defender/Midfielder/Striker - we all thought he was good signing and he was RUBBISH

the above points are about as relevant as your initial post[/quote]

What the hell is your problem?  The original post was a well researched and well put post amongst the current crap we are seeing on here and did not deserve such an ignorant and childish response. Maybe you should clear off and carry out your user name to yourself.

[/quote]I''m more than happy to produce a list of players and the dates they''ve signed that we all thought were good players that turned out to be rubbish if you wish?Actually, I think I''m probably agreeing with the initial point, it just seems to be a bit ridiculous to say that people before the internet were not questioning signings of players.

[quote user="Billabong Willytickle"][quote user="jbghost"]

[quote user="Billabong Willytickle"]Good old making up ridiculous facts to fit a point.On a day at some point in the past - we signed a Goalkeeper/Defender/Midfielder/Striker - we all thought he was good signing and he was RUBBISH

the above points are about as relevant as your initial post[/quote]

[/quote]I''m more than happy to produce a list of players and the dates they''ve signed that we all thought were good players that turned out to be rubbish if you wish?Actually, I think I''m probably agreeing with the initial point, it just seems to be a bit ridiculous to say that people before the internet were not questioning signings of players.[/quote]Oh and in all honesty I would much rather have a squad of excellent non leaguers and some lower league players rather than the same old journeymen players (and Cuerton)

Look, we can all produce lists and mine is in no way definitive.

For every Kevin Drinkell there''s a Dean Coney/Mike Sheron etc

And yes in days gone past certain signings would have been less than popular/welcome - I wasn''t saying that it''s only since the internet that we''ve had opinions.

What I was trying to say was let''s not have the usual suspects slag off every signing just because they might not be a ''name''

And I would also rather have committed jouneymen than poncy Premier reserves

[quote user="Robbie Boy"]Look, we can all produce lists and mine is in no way definitive. For every Kevin Drinkell there''s a Dean Coney/Mike Sheron etc And yes in days gone past certain signings would have been less than popular/welcome - I wasn''t saying that it''s only since the internet that we''ve had opinions. What I was trying to say was let''s not have the usual suspects slag off every signing just because they might not be a ''name'' And I would also rather have committed jouneymen than poncy Premier reserves[/quote]

Whats up with Mike Sheron!!!???

lol

More to the point, i agree with yr original post fully, its about taking risks sometimes, bringing in players who arent ''names''.

Ive previously stated, we are a league1 side now, so will need to assemble a league1 side, end of, i doubt we will be bringing in many players we are all familiar with, as long as gun et al alongside deehan spot some decent players from the rough to do a job for us..deehan didnt get much opportujnity last season to spot alot so heres hoping he''s working overtime right now?!

The unfortunate point to make from this post is that it could never happen nowadays. The reserve players would never have been sold to us they would have been loaned and we all know the consequences of that!

In the past clubs from the lower leagues had the chance of picking up decent reserve players from Division One to try to pick up a bargain and develop the player. Norwich did this on several occasions and did very well out of it as you have shown. No Premiership club will sell a young player, who they are not going to give games to, in case he turns into another multi million pound player. Instead clubs like Norwich are encouraged to loan the player, develop the player, pay his wages, increase his value and then have no chance of signing him on a permanent basis. Take a look at the prime example, David Bentley. Bentley never played one game for Arsenal in the Premiership. Instead he firstly came to us on loan, then went to Blackburn on loan before being signed by Blackburn for £7.5M I believe. Who did the loan system benefit there? How much did we get for giving him the exposure, paying his wages and developing him? Just about all the Premiership clubs do it, we even had a loanee from relegated Middlesboro last season. How much did that cost us and how much did his experience of first team football increase his value .... and at whose expense?

Unless changes are made soon football will die for some clubs or, at best, it will take decades to return to past glories.

Ban the loaning of players now, except in exceptional circumstances, and copy the American sport leagues, where money has always been a major factor, and introduce squad limitation. Consider this, if the lower clubs took no players on loan where would the possible up and coming Premiership youngsters get their experience. The Premiership clubs have it both ways, they will not let players they don''t really want go permanently to lower clubs so they loan them out and make more money out of the deal.

With squad limitation I would like to see a maximum number of players over the age of 21 allowed at every club. Under 21 is different as they are still being developed, but on a player’s 21st birthday their club would have to make up their minds, let the player go or keep the player and consequently let another player go. Now that would be an interesting situation.