Sign in to follow this  
Tony DaWonderful

Can the Canaries play the Barcelona way?

Well can they?

With the team we have possibly only Hoolahan has the passing ability and movement in my opinion and maybe be Clingan?

It also makes me wonder would it work in League 1.

The reason I ask this, is after watching Barcelona destroy Man United it was all done with pinpoint passing and most important of all player movement. Also numbers behind the ball when defending.

Can it be to much to ask to get players to perform to 70% of Barca''s?

I mean Crooky cant be a bad person to have on board to help the cause.

That type of football requires intelligent, quick, agile and effective players for it to work properly. We ain''t gonner have that.

Good points - top teams work hard off the ball too, something which Chelsea showed when they played Barca and stopped them playing their game by closing them down quicker. Man Utd didn''t look like they had the energy in midfield to track the movement of Iniesta, Xavi and Messi, especially when they were finding the holes between defence and midfield.

I thought Carrick looked tired last night, probably after a long hard season. Anderson and Giggs didn''t seem to offer much support in the central areas and the ball retention was only good in the first ten/fifteen minutes, then Barca started to dominate.

[quote user="Tony Da''Wonderful"]

So is this just not the English way of playing football?

What I am trying to say is after watching Spain dominate the Euro 08 Championship, Barca with the Champ league Final (albeit very fortunate to be there, from al Chelski fans point of view). Its got to be worth investing in that type of player if they exist in this country.

Maybe its wishful thinking but someone has to first to give it a go!

I''d rather Norwich learned to play the Man Utd way. They''re strong defensively and good going forward.

They had an off night last night which allowed a dangerous Barcelona team to win with more comfort than they should have.

Well, Man Utd couldn''t last night, and so I very much doubt that we can. It would require a massive improvement to get anywhere near Barcelona''s performance. And with the players we are likely to have next season, I would say there is more chance that all MPs who had their snouts in the trough in this expenses scandal to admit that they did wrong, apologise profusely and sincerely and then pay every single penny back.

If they played the Barca way in League 1, they would spend 85 minutes rolling around on the floor looking for free kicks. We need a different sort of team  - physical and committed.

Not a chance, we cant pass the ball 10 yards without giving it away. We were a good passing team but that was then and now we are poor at passing.

As mentioned previously the barcelona way of playing is very very difficult number one you need to be comfortable on the ball if you give it away you conceed loads of goals also for the players to push forward as a unit they need to feel confident that the balls is going to be retained.Additionally it is not easy being in the front of a 4 3 3 just ask the norwich players after the reading game to do this you need to be fast, have endurance and have excellent tchnique/movement not easy and not cheap!For Norwich to play this system is a big ask especially with not so good players though back in the day with Crook et all I think did it as much as possible considering the players we had the more time passes the better the football we played then becomes in my memory.In all Honestly the best system I ever saw in terms of simplicity and effectiveness is the champions league winning Manchester United side 4-4-2  nice solid defence two athletic midfielders and two wingers with the job of getting in those crosses.On the end of those crosses was a large man and a poacher.It was lovely as it was simple Beckham was never going to do a messi so he had to be in positon for the ball to knock it in.I have yet to see anything more dangerous than high quality balls crossed into the box  the system works with any level of players though obviously better with passing football/better players.

[quote user="Tony Da''Wonderful"]

Well can they?

With the team we have possibly only Hoolahan (a lower level footballer to messi) has the passing ability and movement in my opinion and maybe be Clingan?

It also makes me wonder would it work in League 1.

The reason I ask this, is after watching Barcelona destroy Man United it was all done with pinpoint passing and most important of all player movement. Also numbers behind the ball when defending.

Can it be to much to ask to get players to perform to 70% of Barca''s?

I mean Crooky cant be a bad person to have on board to help the cause.

[quote user="Fromage Frais"]
As mentioned previously the barcelona way of playing is very very difficult number one you need to be comfortable on the ball if you give it away you conceed loads of goals also for the players to push forward as a unit they need to feel confident that the balls is going to be retained.

Additionally it is not easy being in the front of a 4 3 3 just ask the norwich players after the reading game to do this you need to be fast, have endurance and have excellent tchnique/movement not easy and not cheap!

For Norwich to play this system is a big ask especially with not so good players though back in the day with Crook et all I think did it as much as possible considering the players we had the more time passes the better the football we played then becomes in my memory.

In all Honestly the best system I ever saw in terms of simplicity and effectiveness is the champions league winning Manchester United side 4-4-2  nice solid defence two athletic midfielders and two wingers with the job of getting in those crosses.

On the end of those crosses was a large man and a poacher.

It was lovely as it was simple Beckham was never going to do a messi so he had to be in positon for the ball to knock it in.

I have yet to see anything more dangerous than high quality balls crossed into the box  the system works with any level of players though obviously better with passing football/better players.
[/quote]

Descent answer F F,

Alot of people missed what I was getting at. 

Obviously League 1 players are no where near as good as Barca''s C team, but are there players who are super confident with the ball, not afraid to make mistakes and have that quick change of pace? The answer probably not in the surrounding leagues.

I just wonder if we got some continental coaching involved installing confidence on the ball and in tight situations not to panic then as a club we may evolve through our academy products...Laughable I know but we need something!