Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

No excuses next season

Was bemoaning our plight as a club with a good friend at the weekend. He made a very good point regarding the size of our clubs. Quite simply put- with our tickets sales and support we MUST be able to offer better wages than almost anyone else in L1. I argued that resources are tight and he just laughed. Not as tight as in a club getting a handful to each game...he has a point. He suggested that our lure to the top players has to outstrip the likes of Exeter etc....

In his opinion -unless someone has their hands in the till- we are too big for L1 and should be able to mount a serious challenge. ''You should walk it'' In his words ''if you are not in playoff places at Christmas- something somewhere is seriously, seriosuly wrong''

Trouble is - i think it might be!

[quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

Was bemoaning our plight as a club with a good friend at the weekend. He made a very good point regarding the size of our clubs. Quite simply put- with our tickets sales and support we MUST be able to offer better wages than almost anyone else in L1. I argued that resources are tight and he just laughed. Not as tight as in a club getting a handful to each game...he has a point. He suggested that our lure to the top players has to outstrip the likes of Exeter etc....

In his opinion -unless someone has their hands in the till- we are too big for L1 and should be able to mount a serious challenge. ''You should walk it'' In his words ''if you are not in playoff places at Christmas- something somewhere is seriously, seriosuly wrong''

[/quote]By all accounts we had a higher wages budget than most of the teams in the top half of the league last year, sometimes that doesn''t buy you the hard working honest players we need at this level but I agree it''s better to have it than not

Burnley''s wage bill for the last couple of seasons has remained at 3.8 million per year.How do you like them apples?

[/quote]

Too big for League One? Every game a Cup Final?

Okay, I give up then.

Wages: try Leeds.

[/quote]

Burnley, and Scunthorpe, have already shown that its NOT about how much money you have to spend, its about how you spend the money that you have.