Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

I Dont Know Who Norwich City Is Anymore

The last time I watched Norwich City live we were a Championship team and I was cheering on my favourite players like Marshall, Croft, Shackell, Clingan, Lee, Gow, Mooney etc.The next time I watch my beloved club I am not going to know who the hell they are. Different division, so many players left or probably leaving. By the time the new season rolls around I will not recognise the team.Now Croft has left its starting to sink in. The club and players i loved has dissapeared. If Clingan and Hoolahan go too, which they probably will, ill have no favourites left and will be looking for ''new heroes''. 10 players leaving the squad is it? loans and perms, probably more. Were not going to know the team at all.So much is going to change from a few months ago to August 09. Division, squad, club identity, club ambition. Its now about battling to get back to the ''promised land'' of the Championship.I dont know who Norwich City is anymore and it saddens me immensely.

It''s the same throughout the leagues now, especially for teams who go up or go down.  Because there is so much more money in the premiership, teams gut themselves of players to have a chance of staying in the Prem when they promote, and players flee like rats from sinking ships when the clubs get relegated.Football has in effect become a massive cattle auction, with the players being sold by their agents to the highest bidders.  There are a few notable exceptions to the rule, your Craig Flemings who stay with a club for 10 years, but they are rare commodities.If it makes you feel any better, I reckon the Doc will still be here in August... [:)]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]It''s the same throughout the leagues now, especially for teams who go up or go down.  Because there is so much more money in the premiership, teams gut themselves of players to have a chance of staying in the Prem when they promote, and players flee like rats from sinking ships when the clubs get relegated.Football has in effect become a massive cattle auction, with the players being sold by their agents to the highest bidders.  There are a few notable exceptions to the rule, your Craig Flemings who stay with a club for 10 years, but they are rare commodities.If it makes you feel any better, I reckon the Doc will still be here in August... [:)][/quote]i hope so!!!

I''ve had that feeling since we got relegated from the Premier.  All the hard-core spine of the team gradually drifted away for one reason or another and have been replaced by a merry go-round of journeymen, kids, loans and free transfers.

The sad thing is that there are players of the last few seasons that I still can''t identify.

Its the same each season though, good players leave, not so good ones come in but we always find a player we can relate to or love and this will happen again.

Now the greiving has gone slightly, I am looking forward to the new season. Think we will do well.

I do fear for Norwich next year. As a (Norwich based)

Nottingham Forest fan I remember only too well our own demise into

league one. What really concerns me about Norwich is that you are

bleeding key players as if a metaphoric artery (sp?) has been cut! We

lost a few but I believe we did retain a spine and made a few signings

(Clingan was one of them!). Even considering this we has a difficult

first season and failed to make to playoffs.However, it is early days and a few good signings can turn things around. Fingers crossed for you, genuinely.