Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Did the Board want League 1 football?

Dont know if this has been mentioned before but it strikes me as quite obvious.With a wage bill of £8m eating away at the gate receipts, and relegation meaning players leaving and the wage bill coming down to £1m-£2m, a fan base of still 20,000+, wouldnt this mean that the board can make some sort of profit from gate receipts rather than it all going towards the wages?It strikes me that it was boards intention to drop to League 1 to slash the wage bill and squad and start again. They will still get 20,000+ fans and so gate receipts will not be far off what they were last season, but with a vastly smaller playing budget surely the money the make from gates will be better used.I could be wrong and dont know the ins and outs of the money coming in with gates etc but its plain to me.

Thats fine in theory, but what happens if we don''t get out of league 1 at the first attempt ?  Season ticket numbers will rapidly decrease, and the club will have less money to spend.  I doubt that anyone aims for relegation.

I''m not sure, but they know relegation would cost them well over 2.0m. But the idea of starting again would probably appeal to them as they know that if we won promotion, the atmosphere would be a whole lot better than another season flirting with relegation.

The thing that irks me is that what if we''d have avoided relegation, we''d have a threadbare squad with all the loans going back, and no money to spend, next season would have been relegation for sure?

[quote user="Barclayman (your Carrow Road SuperHero)"]Dont know if this has been mentioned before but it strikes me as quite obvious.

With a wage bill of £8m eating away at the gate receipts, and relegation meaning players leaving and the wage bill coming down to £1m-£2m, a fan base of still 18000+, wouldnt this mean that the board can make some sort of profit from gate receipts rather than it all going towards the wages?

It strikes me that it was boards intention to drop to League 1 to slash the wage bill and squad and start again. They will still get 18000+ fans and so gate receipts will not be far off what they were last season, but with a vastly smaller playing budget surely the money the make from gates will be better used.

I could be wrong and dont know the ins and outs of the money coming in with gates etc but its plain to me.

just altered the gate size!

Thats what I was tring to say, relegation has saved another season of shiite for them. I think the board will back Gunn as much as possible in the hope that we can have a few thousand outside city hall.

This is weird, people are posting replies on here but it is not showing. If you see this, then you know that it is working again.

My thoughs on the board aside, I just don''t think anyobne in their right mind would intentionally relegate a club or indeed look forward to the prospect of dropping a division. You lose money, get bad publicity and generally it''s just no good for business whatsoever compared to staying in the division you were in previously. Say what you will about our board but to suggest they''d WANT relegation is laughable. No businessman in any walk of life would want his business to suffer by some kind of relegation themed instance, let alone a football club.

Yeah this is a ridiculous theory, the club has lost £7 million by being relegated, and they didn''t need to get relegated to slash the wage bill, they could have just sold or released some of our higher earners, without losing the £7 million. Also the board has no say on what happens on the field and did their best to support the manager, look at Roeder and his loan policy for getting us relegated.

[quote user="ellis206"]Yeah this is a ridiculous theory, the club has lost £7 million by being relegated, and they didn''t need to get relegated to slash the wage bill, they could have just sold or released some of our higher earners, without losing the £7 million. Also the board has no say on what happens on the field and did their best to support the manager, look at Roeder and his loan policy for getting us relegated. [/quote]I don''t think relegation was planned, there appears to have been very little forward planning full stop.....Incidently I spoke with Mumby a few months ago and raised the issue of loans, he didn''t attach this to Roeder so assume what you like but the loan policy would have to have been sanctioned upstairs.