Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

The sort of player we should aim for?

Looking at the release of various sought after Stockport players such as the ''keeper Williams, and Oli Johnson I couldn''t help but think that these are the players we should be thinking about going for. They are players that premier league clubs are interested in, but whats to say an offer of first team football couldn''t get these young, hungry prospects to Carrow Road.

Yes we need to balance them out with more experienced players, such as Sodje if we could get him, but we shouldn''t be looking to get the cast offs of lower league sides, we should be going for their prize assets.

Lets be ruthless, and take advantage of Stockport''s administration, and show a little bit of grit in the transfer market- no longer can we be ''little old norwich'', I''d rather we were ''Dirty Norwich'' within the bounds of legality!

I think your right we should be alot more ruthless.

The level of players im not sure really...i honestly think most L2 and L1 players would see coming here as a great oppounity, just for the faciltiies and size of the club etc. So i think if we go for young talented prospects from the lower two leagues we can get fairly cheap and maybe throw in the odd free transfer with experience from the Championship, wed have the right mix.

Examples- Andy Bishop from Bury, Sodje/Hahnemann/Murty from Reading  

My ideal team would be----------------Tyler------------------Murty---Doherty---Llera---Drury----Smith---Clingan--Spillane--Hoolahan-----------Lee----McDonald----------

I would have a close look at Diego Leon recently been released by Barnsely.

Very very sound technique with a fair amount of pace... if you dont know him - "León began his career with the Real Madrid youth team, working his way up the ranks. He was given a squad number with the first team for the 2005–06 season."

Sign him up Gunny![;)]

The sort of players ''our'' players should aim for are goalkeepers.At least then they might get a few shots on target.

[quote user="Shyster"]The sort of players ''our'' players should aim for are goalkeepers.

At least then they might get a few shots on target.
[/quote]That rules Jamie out then!

[quote user="Shyster"]I think Jamie would do well at non-league Luton - swap him for Asa Hall.
[/quote]Just let him go........fcuk hall!

[quote user="NCFCanary"]

Very very sound technique with a fair amount of pace... if you dont know him - "León began his career with the Real Madrid youth team, working his way up the ranks. He was given a squad number with the first team for the 2005–06 season."

Sign him up Gunny![;)]

[/quote]

Brian McGovern had a squad number at Arsenal, Paul Dalglish had one at Newcastle, Liverpool and Celtic. Ian Henderson had one at Norwich.

That doesnt make them good players. He was a regular in the midfield of one of the championships worst teams, hardly a signing to get people excited.

You could also question why we would want to sign a team full of Spaniards, having already been linked with many, and our last Spaniard probably being Victor Segura.........

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="NCFCanary"]

Sign him up Gunny![;)]

[/quote]

Brian McGovern had a squad number at Arsenal, Paul Dalglish had one at Newcastle, Liverpool and Celtic. Ian Henderson had one at Norwich.

That doesnt make them good players. He was a regular in the midfield of one of the championships worst teams, hardly a signing to get people excited.

You could also question why we would want to sign a team full of Spaniards, having already been linked with many, and our last Spaniard probably being Victor Segura.........

[/quote]

Totally understand where you''re coming from there but just because you''ve been playing in a championship team at the bottom end of the table shouldn''t mean that you are labelled as a nobody who lacks skill or technique...

And i know this may sound silly... but anyone who has progressed out of Real Madrid''s academy can''t be too shoddy for a league 1 team in my opinion![:P]

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Gunn is worshipping how well Benitez has done haha. Spanish=Failure most of the time outside prem.[/quote]

I wonder what Swansea City would say to that....

jas :)

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Gunn is worshipping how well Benitez has done haha. Spanish=Failure most of the time outside prem.[/quote]

Swansea: Angel Rangel or Jordi Gomez anyone?

[quote user="NCFCanary"]

[/quote]

managed by Martinez

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

I wouldn''t think they would have much to say. Only one player sticks to my mind who is Spanish and has fitted permanently into their side.. And thats Angel Rangel their defender.. Care to share any other successes? I will admit i don''t know many Swansea players apart from their better ones..

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="NCFCanary"]

[/quote]

managed by Martinez

[/quote]

Think we sorted that one out jas? [:P]

[quote user="Michael Bates"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

I wouldn''t think they would have much to say. Only one player sticks to my mind who is Spanish and has fitted permanently into their side.. And thats Angel Rangel their defender.. Care to share any other successes? I will admit i don''t know many Swansea players apart from their better ones..

[/quote]

Jordi Gomez was their player of the season and infact featured in the championship team of the year this season at left wing.

What we need, and age for me is irrelevent for me, are

Left & Right wingers with an end product

A solid no frills right back who can defend, Marc Edworthy-esq

Another 6ft centre half

Two central midfielders who can pass and get into the box to offer goal threat, 5ft 10" or taller

One holding midfield who can tackle, again 5ft 10, and has ability to track runners from oppo''s midfield

A big Iwan-esq lump up front

Actually as i type this there is an age senstive position for me, i''d like a senior/old goalkeeper to help Rudd through the season

Just had a look at their squad as was interested to extend my knowledge.. They have a few spanish ''fringe'' players also.. May be because young or might have failed to make an impact like many spanish players in the more physical style of football.. A few names to mention:

Andrea Orlandi- 1 league start..

Gorka Pintado- 9 league starts

Guillem Bauza- 4 League starts

Albert Serran- 10 League starts

Again i don''t follow Swansea and as they are new club my knowledge is short. But theres a few players who havent played a great deal of football for them.. Not saying they aren''t good enough, far from it but i''m suggesting not all Spanish players crack it outside the Premier League too well when the style of football is totally different. Although not Spanish. Strihavka the Czech man came here and was pants. Then goes back and scores a winning goal against Tottenham in UEFA Cup!! But you can take back my point. Some Spanish players make the grade like you have mentioned Jas.

Michael :)