Sign in to follow this  
jeagle

Our youth players, Smith, Rudd, Daley, Kelly, Lathrope...etc

So how many of these players do we think can hold down a regular starting place in League 1?

Personally I think Korey Smith and Luke Daley have some good attributes, but not sure if they are physically strong enough to play twice a week (which we look like we will be with the JPT, early cup entrys and so on). I''d like to see Rudd start some games, even if it is in these cup games, with a more experienced man coming in for the league games.

I''m not sure how much value Lathrope, Kelly and Renton will add to our squad, is this their level or are they not good enough?

what concerns me is if things dont go our way , the youngsters confidence will be smashed , and the fans on thier backs ..

wait for round 2 of mistake of the year 2009 .

[quote user="Normal for Norfolk"]adeyemi would, in my opinion, a good addition to the squad.
[/quote]

I forgot about him, from what I have heard he is a decent player, also quite physical and not scared of a tackle. In my opinion, League 1 is a tough place to learn your trade but some of our youngsters are going to have to learn fast.

What annoys me is when you see teams like MK Dons (no disrespect to them) producing good young players like Sam Baldock and not being scared to give them a run of games. Seems a while since we had a young lad come on the scene and do well. Chris Martin did it for a short time and I thik he will come back a better, more mature player from Luton, but we haven''t had a homegrown talent for a while now and I think we are overdue one.

none can start they will slowly have to be brought in  to the first team maybe a will be good enough in time

barr, spillane and martin who have experience

[quote user="singing canary"]

what concerns me is if things dont go our way , the youngsters confidence will be smashed , and the fans on thier backs ..

wait for round 2 of mistake of the year 2009 .

[/quote]

Agreed we have seen it before with worthington, using the youngsters at the wrong time, and havin to move the talent on!But if we use them right, it could be the start of something good, but would you trust Gunn to get it right!!!!

Having watched a fair amount of academy & reserve football, of the 7 former academy players mentioned (5 in the heading + Renton & Adeyemi) I think 3 will have successful professional careers at the club''s current level or higher (I doubt whether they will have a great impact during the coming season), and the other 4 will have to settle for less. Additionally I would expect 4 current academy players to obtain professional contracts with the club with potential to enjoy successful careers.

[quote user="Yellow Shrimper"]Having watched a fair amount of academy & reserve football, of the 7 former academy players mentioned (5 in the heading + Renton & Adeyemi) I think 3 will have successful professional careers at the club''s current level or higher (I doubt whether they will have a great impact during the coming season), and the other 4 will have to settle for less. Additionally I would expect 4 current academy players to obtain professional contracts with the club with potential to enjoy successful careers.[/quote]

Fancy naming names or was that just a general quote?

Would be good to see which ones you think may make it at our level at some point in the future.

[quote user="eagle"]

So how many of these players do we think can hold down a regular starting place in League 1?

Personally I think Korey Smith and Luke Daley have some good attributes, but not sure if they are physically strong enough to play twice a week (which we look like we will be with the JPT, early cup entrys and so on). I''d like to see Rudd start some games, even if it is in these cup games, with a more experienced man coming in for the league games.

I''m not sure how much value Lathrope, Kelly and Renton will add to our squad, is this their level or are they not good enough?

[/quote]

Your very optimistic about our cup performances there! Suprising since we havent had a cup run for...... well...... since I can remember.

Iv spoken to some Luton fans who go to alot of games, they said Martin, even though he was their top scorer is fairly unreliable at L2 level so if he is included he will be just a squad player. However they were very appreciative to have had pillane on loan. They said he was solid and looked a good prospect, can play rb, centre half or centre mid so useful versatility. He might be with the Ireland u-21s this summer so be interesting to see how he gets on their.

Rudd is a talent from what iv heard, one of the reasons Lewis was sold was cause Rudd was coming through, maybe to early to hold a first team place in such an important position.

I thought wed released Renton

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="eagle"]

[/quote]

Your very optimistic about our cup performances there! Suprising since we havent had a cup run for...... well...... since I can remember.

[/quote]

League Cup first round, Johnstones Paint Trophy and early round of FA Cup! We must win at least one of those...well actually...haha.

I didn''t mention names, intentionally, simply because I don''t think any of our young players will benefit from fans such as me ''writing them off'' so early in their careers. They would tell themselves that I know nothing (& they may be right) but it must hurt. I have my views on individual young players but will keep them private. Where those views are pessimistic I hope the boys prove me totally wrong and that they all have great footballing careers - at Norwich.

My previous post was in response to Eagle''s. I tried to do the ''quote'' thing which everyone else does but it doesn''t seem to work for me. Not very clever am I?!

[quote user="Yellow Shrimper"]My previous post was in response to Eagle''s. I tried to do the ''quote'' thing which everyone else does but it doesn''t seem to work for me. Not very clever am I?![/quote]obviously not, you praised coney...[:P]on a serious note,smith, rudd, steer, dumic could make it with hard workkelly could if he was played as a CB,the rest look lacklustre.