Sign in to follow this  
SA Canary

Ruddy and Rearing to go?

Firstly before posing a footballing question to the masses, I thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself, an NCFC season ticket holder of over 12 years (although rather fortunate at present to be working abroad missing the lacklustre performances from so called professional footballers for the good part of last season). I am no English literature wizz kid either, seeing many posts before posting myself I see there is a "grammer police" out to get us less educated beings!

On to football, Norwich is well known for churning out good goalkeepers I''m sure we''ll all agree in Declan Rudd we may well be stepping into unknown territory. Marshy a purchase after the departure of Rob Green is sometime without seeing true youth, so how confident are we that the goalkeeping production line at Colney has produced another good one in Rudd? I really am a true believer of seeing the youth get a chance, we pile money into youth development at Colney, paying coaches wages etc, however for more years than I care to remember we have rarely if ever given any of the poor buggers a chance.

I know we have bugger all money to spend and it''s a likely scenario we will see youth next season, but not because we want to play them but through the need of having to play them. It''s for this reason I want them to succeed next neason, we won''t make money the old fashioned way through the sale of good young talent if we don''t show them off. I firmly beleive if we don''t get out of L1 first time round we never will, and as I see it the youth players are the only ones with heart and desire to do well, they have something to play for, the have the future, they are the future, so please Bryan want to play youth don''t see them as a last resort. 

You''re right about the youth players, especially those that have come through the academy. This is the only club they''ve played for, and so they will have passion to succeed, something which was obviously missing from most of last season''s squad.

However, we should have a decent amount of cash to spend if Foulger''s offer is matched. Even if only half of it is matched, that''s still an extra £500,000 for the playing budget. Seeing as L1 budgets tend to be very low, and the attraction of 24k to play in front of (well, it''ll be 24k provided what we see on the pitch is an improvement on the last few seasons) we should be able to compete to bring in new faces to the squad.

That''s just me trying to look on the bright side, something which has been hard to do recently. I have no idea how next season will go, or who will play for us.

Obviously we will have less to spend, as our income will be less. But there again we are supposing someone at CR (if anyone is still there) will be setting a budget for Gunn, and cuts will be made in the areas where excessive money has been used (wasted) and put into this area.

Our playing budget shouldn''t be determined by whatever Foulger''s plea to ST holders ends up with. It should be determined by someone at the club setting a budget (and after hearing from MWJ that our budget would be appropriate for League One I am more than worried) and making sure wages are not excessively high. The excessive use of loan players must become a thing of the past, only to be used in extreme circumstances.

Simply we really don''t have a choice, it will be youth players and anyone we can lure here with either no fee and moderate wages or small fee and small wages.

The level of the third division shouldn''t faze most of the players we have left. If they really can''t get to grips with it they should be looking at themselves and wondering why they became footballers in the first place. Was it to play to the best of their ability with some degree of technique and purpose, or is it to stroll around a golf course, drive a flash car or clock up more hours at Mercy VIP lounge than on a football pitch.

I have faith in the youth team, what I don''t have faith in is the manager''s ability to manage them, or indeed to scout for additional talent. If we are to start again as a club from scratch we need first and foremost someone who''s got a team promoted in a similar situation, that is from a lower league with little money. Where we are left at is more than a little troubling, to put it mildly.

[quote user="SA Canary"]

I see there is a "grammer police" out to get us less educated beings!

[/quote]It''s grammar.Sorry, couldn''t resist it