Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bates

Richard Brodie- York City Striker

Apparently he has been linked with a move to Norwich according to a friend who lives near that way and supports them locally. Just went on google to find more about him. Only 21years of age and has scored a few this season. Wikipedia says he scored 4 at a club for a month whilst on Loan and then finished the season off in fine form and scoring 19goals altogether. Says he is 6ft 2 also. Another Coy McDonald? Mate says he''s a great player for that level and deserves a step up, however disagrees he will do anything at League 1 standard. Would be interesting if it''s true and he comes good/bad.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]

Apparently he has been linked with a move to Norwich according to a friend who lives near that way and supports them locally. Just went on google to find more about him. Only 21years of age and has scored a few this season. Wikipedia says he scored 4 at a club for a month whilst on Loan and then finished the season off in fine form and scoring 19goals altogether. Says he is 6ft 2 also. Another Coy McDonald? Mate says he''s a great player for that level and deserves a step up, however disagrees he will do anything at League 1 standard. Would be interesting if it''s true and he comes good/bad.

[/quote]

What so he is a great player in the conference who deserves a step up, but wouldnt do anything in league one? so your basically saying that he is good enough for league two but not league one?  If so, what is the point in suggesting him?

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Michael Bates"]

[/quote]

What so he is a great player in the conference who deserves a step up, but wouldnt do anything in league one? so your basically saying that he is good enough for league two but not league one?  If so, what is the point in suggesting him?

[/quote]

This is his opinion. He feels the guy deserves a chance to step up and try to prove he is alot better than conference standard i suppose is what he was saying. But he later said that he doubt he woud hype it up at Norwich. Remembering that Norwich is still regarded as a big club. Maybe he was forgetting where we are in reality and the quality of players we have at the club? And it''s not me suggesting him. He told me about him being linked with us as he knows i am a big Norwich City fan...

[quote user="Michael Bates"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Michael Bates"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is his opinion. He feels the guy deserves a chance to step up and try to prove he is alot better than conference standard i suppose is what he was saying. But he later said that he doubt he woud hype it up at Norwich. Remembering that Norwich is still regarded as a big club. Maybe he was forgetting where we are in reality and the quality of players we have at the club? And it''s not me suggesting him. He told me about him being linked with us as he knows i am a big Norwich City fan...

[/quote]

Im not so sure whether or not we would need another inexperienced striker. We already have Chris Martin and Cody McDonald to develop and prove themselves. Assuming that Cureton is going to sit out his contract, that only really leaves 1 space for a striker if we are going to give them all football. I would much rather take somebody like Grant Holt, who at 28 and having played in three divisions is going to fit the bill perfectly.

Unless of course Cureton  did leave the club, in which case that changes a lot. I suspect he is one of our highest earners, and would leave the door open for another couple of cheaper signings like this. Which is why I want him out. 

i think for our big man up front we need a player who has played a bit and knows the league well. We need someone with the experience as we have a youthful forward line bar cureton (daley, cody, martin all under 23 i think?)

ryan you beat me to it... I obviously agree!

Holt is a great option, it''s just that we need him up and running for pre season... being out for six weeks is not what we need...

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]worth a punt but surely the club isn''t pinning its hopes of promotion on 2 unproven youngsters from non-league. we need proven players[/quote]

Exactly what I just said. We need experienced pros to bring along younger players. If Cody McDonald and Chris Martin are our experienced prospects, then somebody like Grant Holt or Alan Lee will be the balance and experience that we need to bring these players on.

Unfortunately I can only see one striker arriving whilst Cureton is still under contract, and if that is the case...... and we can only have one... then that player MUST be experienced. Cureton offers very little in terms of motivation or positive influence.

This argument in favour of ''experience'' can prove to be a bit of a non starter. Peterborough have just gained back to back promotions takinng punts on untried youngsters and non league players...

[quote user="The Chirp"]ryan you beat me to it... I obviously agree!

Holt is a great option, it''s just that we need him up and running for pre season... being out for six weeks is not what we need...
[/quote]

Yeah the injury isnt ideal, but then if we get him at the right price as a result of that injury then it could well prove to be worth it. If we considered three or four experienced pros as the priority, we could get the others in to settle the squad (particularly pre season nerves) and then await on Holt as the last piece of the jigsaw....

I just think that we need to bring in the experience first, and then look at the gems in the lower leagues for squad depth and potential.

I hope Stefanovic and the club can come to some sort of agreement. He has acknowledged that the club might want him out because of wages, but as far as im concerned he is going to be essential if he can stay fit. Maybe he would agree to take the same money but ONLY when he is not injured. That way we can afford to bring in a loan replacement if he gets crocked again.

Good points being made there... But this guy surely would be happy to join the club on £800 a week even? And the transfer fee wouldn''t be much either. I rekon he might be worth a punt. Obviously a big gamble if he is going to be of any decent standard but worth a punt id say at that price... With regards to Grant Holt, i am definately one agreeing to this.. And experienced man who has alot of heart in football and gives his all. Not afriad to put himself about where it hurts... The injury he has may be something that isn''t ideal but maybe that will give us a better chance of signing him ahead of other possble clubs interested in him?? Alan Lee is obviously the man that fits the bill perfectly. But his price as it has been said many times is the stumbling block... And any deal including Wes doesn''t appeal to me... Wes Hoolahan was part of the Blakpool squad that went up and he was their best player when they got promoted. So it would be silly to get rid of players who have played very well in this league before(Yes including Otsemobor unfortunately). However bad a season he has, he can''t be ignored totally now we have stepped down a level. Hopefully in the next 2-3weeks we might see a few players coming through the doors of Carrow Road :)

[quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"]

This argument in favour of ''experience'' can prove to be a bit of a non starter. Peterborough have just gained back to back promotions takinng punts on untried youngsters and non league players...

[/quote]very true... but maybe they''re the exception to the rule? would be great to find the next mackail-smith wouldn''t it! That''s why i mentioned players like Main in my recent blog... it would be fantastic to unearth a gem... Maybe we have already in Cody... big season for him... Be interesting to see how he handles the pressure.Richard Brodie and the like shooulld only be brought in if Cureton (his wage is far too high to sit in the stands for the season) goes and another experienced striker comes in

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/non-league-football/2009/05/21/bogie-bids-to-bring-richard-brodie-back-home-72703-23680230/

Only says that Gateshead are interested in him by looks of things but my mate is sure of Norwich being linked with him... Also interesting point made in this..

''''If the Minstermen refuse to allow their leading scorer to move on, and Brodie decides not to sign the new deal on the table, then York would only get compensation rather than a fee at the end of the 2009-10 campaign.''''

[quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"]

[/quote]

They also had a few very influential experienced players. They went up with Joe Lewis in the first team, but they also went up with Mark Tyler on the bench. Much the same way that we could start with Declan Rudd, but would be asking for trouble if we didnt have a Darren Ward or an Ian Bennett..... or even Mark Tyler himself on the bench. They also had players like Dean Keates in the middle of the park.  I wouldnt trust Daryl Russell to be our Dean Keates, and certainly wouldnt give him our vice captiancy. They also have a 32 year old called Chris Westwood at the back who had played over 300 games in league one or two before signing, Micky Nelson could be our Chris Westwood. Maybe Doherty could be our Chris Westwood?

Most of their young players WERE also very experienced for their age. There captain, Russell Martin, was 22 when he joined and had already played 116 games in League Two.

They had some great success stories, like Craig Mackail-Smith who was signed from the conference and has a 1 in 2 goal ratio and Aaron McLean who came from the conference as well, and maybe Cody McDonald can be our Craig Mackail-Smith or Aaron McLean, but they actually played McLean on loan for 8 games before taking a gamble.

All I am saying is that we need to identify and confirm that 5 or 6 players that are going to be our Dean Keates, our Chris Westwoods and our Mark Tylers. At the moment we dont know who is willing to stay and who is going to go.

We have very few influential and calm players in the squad to create that balance, Gary Doherty could be one, Adam Drury could be one, that about all I can think of. Clingan if he stayed. Huckerby could be one.

But for every couple of unproven 21 year old centre backs we sign, we need a Gary Doherty, and for every 18 year old Declan Rudd that we play we need a Mark Tyler or a Darren Ward. For every couple of lower league strikers we need an Alan Lee. And Peterborough did have that to an extent, as well as most of their young players being far from unproven. Even Joe Lewis had been watched by Peterborough other 15 times playing in League Two.

I could also argue that Leicester had that mix, people like Marc Edworthy, Paul Dickov, Barry Hayles, Kinisorbo, Stephen Clemence. Some of them hardly played, but they had all been their and done it and would without a doubt made it clear to the kids what they had to do to go up.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Good points being made there... But this guy surely would be happy to join the club on £800 a week even? And the transfer fee wouldn''t be much either. I rekon he might be worth a punt. Obviously a big gamble if he is going to be of any decent standard but worth a punt id say at that price... With regards to Grant Holt, i am definately one agreeing to this.. And experienced man who has alot of heart in football and gives his all. Not afriad to put himself about where it hurts... The injury he has may be something that isn''t ideal but maybe that will give us a better chance of signing him ahead of other possble clubs interested in him?? Alan Lee is obviously the man that fits the bill perfectly. But his price as it has been said many times is the stumbling block... And any deal including Wes doesn''t appeal to me... Wes Hoolahan was part of the Blakpool squad that went up and he was their best player when they got promoted. So it would be silly to get rid of players who have played very well in this league before(Yes including Otsemobor unfortunately). However bad a season he has, he can''t be ignored totally now we have stepped down a level. Hopefully in the next 2-3weeks we might see a few players coming through the doors of Carrow Road :)[/quote]

He wouldnt sign for £800 a week, maybe £1500, but there are a hell of a lot of players in League Two on £1,500 to £2,000 a week.  York City would probably stretch to £800 for their top scorer mate!

Feel like i am a nodding dog... Totally agree with that! Calming influence in the team is key to Norwich making waves at the top end of the table next season.

[quote user="The Chirp"]Feel like i am a nodding dog... Totally agree with that! Calming influence in the team is key to Norwich making waves at the top end of the table next season.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with agreeing mate, and nothing wrong with Churchill either!