Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Spoke with a Shrewsbury fan.....

About Grant Holt, said that he has an incredible hunger and works his socks off, has scored half his goals from half chances as Shrewsburys league position flattered their performances for most of the season. He was at uni with me and has been to most home and away games this year.

In a nutshell, he knows that Holt will be leaving and that he is far too good for League Two. As for going to Norwich, I told him that we felt we should be looking at better players, but he pointed out that Holt scored 18 goals in one season for Forest in League One and won their Player of the Season award in his second season, and that his goals per game ratio is distorted by the fact that around half of his appearances for Forest were off the bench.

Basically he said that hes the type of battler that we are going to need in League One, and he never lets his head drop. I have to say that, if that is true, he sounds like a bit of a Leon McKenzie and I would defo want that type of hunger at the club instead of these so called overpaid big names.

I would say sign him up at the right price, could prove a snip at around 250k, mate reckons they will want 400k. I doubt we would pay that.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

About Grant Holt, said that he has an incredible hunger and works his socks off, has scored half his goals from half chances as Shrewsburys league position flattered their performances for most of the season. He was at uni with me and has been to most home and away games this year.

In a nutshell, he knows that Holt will be leaving and that he is far too good for League Two. As for going to Norwich, I told him that we felt we should be looking at better players, but he pointed out that Holt scored 18 goals in one season for Forest in League One and won their Player of the Season award in his second season, and that his goals per game ratio is distorted by the fact that around half of his appearances for Forest were off the bench.

Basically he said that hes the type of battler that we are going to need in League One, and he never lets his head drop. I have to say that, if that is true, he sounds like a bit of a Leon McKenzie and I would defo want that type of hunger at the club instead of these so called overpaid big names.

I would say sign him up at the right price, could prove a snip at around 250k, mate reckons they will want 400k. I doubt we would pay that.

[/quote]

He also pointed out, which I didnt know, that he scored 5 goals in one game in some cup competition!

It all sounds positive. It simply depends if Gunn has him lined up as a main transfer target. Because realistically, 250k is going to be a big chunk of money for us to spend on one player - considering how many we need. He sounds just like what we need, maybe also similar to a younger Alan Lee - who knows.

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

He also pointed out, which I didnt know, that he scored 5 goals in one game in some cup competition!

[/quote]

That was in the amazing Paint Pot game when Shrews went to Wycombe and beat them 7-0.  He also scored in a league game against Wycombe.

[quote user="hogesar"]It all sounds positive. It simply depends if Gunn has him lined up as a main transfer target. Because realistically, 250k is going to be a big chunk of money for us to spend on one player - considering how many we need. He sounds just like what we need, maybe also similar to a younger Alan Lee - who knows.

[/quote]

I suspect that he would be one of the main targets mate, we arent going to able to pay for somebody to sit on the bench. Think we would see a McDonald and Holt partnership with Chris Martin told to earn his place off of the bench and Jamie Cureton sitting in the reserves on too much money and used for emergencies e.g. an injury crisis.

Doubt we could stretch to a 5th striker with the number of players that we need. That said, I think those four would do us as long as we find a decent midfield to support them. They arent going to do much with no right winger......

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That was in the amazing Paint Pot game when Shrews went to Wycombe and beat them 7-0.  He also scored in a league game against Wycombe.

[/quote]

I didnt expect that it would be an actual team! was expecting it to be a sunday league team in the fa cup 1st round or something, all the more impressive! What is a ''Paint Pot'' game though mate? is that lower league lingo?

[quote user="Sideshow Tim"]I''m just shocked that Shrewsbury has got fans!!![/quote]

Tell me about it, I didnt really know where Shrewsbury was before I met him. Turned out to be a half decent night out.

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didnt expect that it would be an actual team! was expecting it to be a sunday league team in the fa cup 1st round or something, all the more impressive! What is a ''Paint Pot'' game though mate? is that lower league lingo?

[/quote]

Johnstone''s Paint Trophy which you are in.[;)] First round first week in September I expect.  You might get a bye.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

we will need a bye!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Johnstone''s Paint Trophy which you are in.[;)] First round first week in September I expect.  You might get a bye.

[/quote]

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

we will need a bye\!!!

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

we will need a bye!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

Why do you always reply on somebody elses quote? it is unlogical and now makes me look like I have pre-empted Cams post........

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

we will need a bye\!!!
[/quote]

Thats better ;-)

[quote user="hogesar"]It all sounds positive. It simply depends if Gunn has him lined up as a main transfer target. Because realistically, 250k is going to be a big chunk of money for us to spend on one player - considering how many we need. He sounds just like what we need, maybe also similar to a younger Alan Lee - who knows.

[/quote]

8 players at £250k = £2m (that''s a familiar figure).

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="hogesar"]It all sounds positive. It simply depends if Gunn has him lined up as a main transfer target. Because realistically, 250k is going to be a big chunk of money for us to spend on one player - considering how many we need. He sounds just like what we need, maybe also similar to a younger Alan Lee - who knows.[/quote]

[/quote]If we buy 8 decent players at an average of 250k each - it''ll be good work by Gunn and co.Top that of with 1 or 2 loanee''s...[:)]

I don''t agree about JC, I think that he has a big season ahead and this is the league where he has always done well and should have stayed there. Unless we get rid because of wages, but if not I would keep him.

sounds a decent player i cant see shrewsbury letting him go to cheap though i reckon 450.000 plus for this guy

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats not a familiar figure to me, and quite frankly, if you think we have £2m to spend on transfer fees then you are living in cloud cuckoo land. Add 10% for signing on fees, add 10% in agents fees, and 10% in administration fees and suddenly that becomes £2.6m.

Where you have got that figure from I dont know, but the total spend in league one last year was £6.7m - about 260k per club.

If you are making reference to Foulger, then that total money can only be £1.2m (600k + 600k), but there are also expenses involved in that figure, and the true sum is likely to be more like 600k.

Therefore a 250k Grant Holt transfer will probably take about a third of our budget next season.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I don''t agree about JC, I think that he has a big season ahead and this is the league where he has always done well and should have stayed there. Unless we get rid because of wages, but if not I would keep him.[/quote]

He hasnt always done well in League One, 7 goals in 30 for Swindon and 6 goals in 43 for QPR where his last two seasons. Thats 13 goals in 73 games, which is worse then his record in the championship for Norwich at 14 goals in 62 games.

He was a top league one player 7 years ago yes, but he was also 27 or 28 at the time. We are talking about a player that played his prime in League One and will be 34 at the start of the season.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I don''t agree about JC, I think that he has a big season ahead and this is the league where he has always done well and should have stayed there. Unless we get rid because of wages, but if not I would keep him.[/quote]

He hasnt always done well in League One, 7 goals in 30 for Swindon and 6 goals in 43 for QPR where his last two seasons. Thats 13 goals in 73 games, which is worse then his record in the championship for Norwich at 14 goals in 62 games.

He was a top league one player 7 years ago yes, but he was also 27 or 28 at the time. We are talking about a player that played his prime in League One and will be 34 at the start of the season.

[/quote]

I think the jury has to be out on this one.  He has had a truly dreadful season, his confidence is/was rock bottom (and he was always a confidence player).  Interestingly Roeder said he persevered with him longer than Lee Clark was prepared to do - LC believing his "legs had gone."  However, it is no good thumping balls in the air at Jamie because he''ll never get them.  As I''ve said before he got his Golden Boot because he had an absolutely brilliant provider in Iwelumo (one of the best providers ever at Colchester I would say) who provided most of them at a height where you can first time volley.

Maybe if that happened again he could still get a few for you.  I think this is absolutely a make or break season for him.  He is very down - I know that from the Colchester end. 

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

I think the jury has to be out on this one.  He has had a truly dreadful season, his confidence is/was rock bottom (and he was always a confidence player).  Interestingly Roeder said he persevered with him longer than Lee Clark was prepared to do - LC believing his "legs had gone."  However, it is no good thumping balls in the air at Jamie because he''ll never get them.  As I''ve said before he got his Golden Boot because he had an absolutely brilliant provider in Iwelumo (one of the best providers ever at Colchester I would say) who provided most of them at a height where you can first time volley.

Maybe if that happened again he could still get a few for you.  I think this is absolutely a make or break season for him.  He is very down - I know that from the Colchester end. 

[/quote]

Its ok saying that he is very down, but is probably a very wealthy man, and he has to decide whether or not he can do a job for us. I have been told that he is on 300k a year, and 300k a year is a lot of money to pay for somebody that does not have the confidence to score goals next year. He doesnt really deserve the sympathy of Colchester fans either, considering he rubbed it in their faces when scoring a hat trick against them by kissing the city badge and gloating.

I wish I could be sympathetic, but its shape up or ship out. He says that he loves this club but we are paying him a lot of money for no product, he could retire or drop down to League Two / Conference knowing that he was fortunate enough to have a lucrative career in football and done very well for some clubs. He shouldnt feel down, he should feel fortunate.

Quite simply, if he knows that he cant do it anymore then he should walk away and save this club a lot of money. If he feels that he can still do it, then he just needs to get on with it and show us by sticking the ball in the net. Its no good having a clapped out old depressive draining the club of money, not when that player has plenty of money already. He needs to look himself in the mirror and ask himself what he can offer. As a senior player in a very very young squad, he needs to be one of those that stands up to be counted. No more hands on his shoulders, it should be men like Jamie who are putting the hands around the shoulders of people like Korey Smith and unfortunately that is something else that he lacks.

Its ok having a senior player on a fair whack sitting on the bench if they offer a lot to the club off the pitch, or in the dressing room, somebody like Huckerby would fit that mould. But at the moment Jamie is offering very little to our club. He has had support from three managers now, one finally ran out of patience, and running out of patience was the right thing to do. Loaning him to Barnsley was of course completely the wrong thing to do.

I don''t disagree with what you say.  Shape up or ship out isn''t far different from make or break.  He tried to come back to Colchester before you shipped him out to Barnsley - lots of planted stories from his agent in the local papers -  and might have done so had the Manager not changed.  But the Manager had changed and said Jamie was not on his radar at that time.   I''m less bothered with him kissing the badge (come on, they all bleed the appropriate colours at some time in their careers), a bit more bothered by him signing shirts at Layer Road at £20 quid a pop while in advanced discussions with your goodselves.

But, hey, that''s football.  Or seems to be as it stands.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

I don''t disagree with what you say.  Shape up or ship out isn''t far different from make or break.  He tried to come back to Colchester before you shipped him out to Barnsley - lots of planted stories from his agent in the local papers -  and might have done so had the Manager not changed.  But the Manager had changed and said Jamie was not on his radar at that time.   I''m less bothered with him kissing the badge (come on, they all bleed the appropriate colours at some time in their careers), a bit more bothered by him signing shirts at Layer Road at £20 quid a pop while in advanced discussions with your goodselves.

[/quote]

PS: If he does turn out for you next year I''m sure what was formerly the "Barside Mob" will duly oblige.[:P]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

Signing shirts for money? So the club were charging money or Cureton was charging money?

Charging money to sign bleeding shirts? I''ve never heard anything so ludicrious. I wouldnt pay anybody £20 to sign my shirt, dont care if it is Nelson Mandela, Obama, Osama Bin Laden.

Cant work out what is worse..... charging people for a signature or paying somebody for a signature!

In fairness to Colchester / Cureton...... if anybody is stupid enough to pay British Sterling for a signature (when directly from the source) is fully deserving of then having that signature stuck on their shirt when things change.

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

Signing shirts for money? So the club were charging money or Cureton was charging money?

Charging money to sign bleeding shirts? I''ve never heard anything so ludicrious. I wouldnt pay anybody £20 to sign my shirt, dont care if it is Nelson Mandela, Obama, Osama Bin Laden.

Cant work out what is worse..... charging people for a signature or paying somebody for a signature!

In fairness to Colchester / Cureton...... if anybody is stupid enough to pay British Sterling for a signature (when directly from the source) is fully deserving of then having that signature stuck on their shirt when things change.

[/quote]

Unless of course that money goes to charity, Geoff Hurst signs anything for about £20. He takes something like 50p for postage costs and the rest goes to charity. That is of course a more than fair deal!

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

After Jamie''s Golden Boot season there was, naturally enough, speculation about whether he would stay with the hapless Colchester United.  Jamie went on a tour of the local radio stations/media in which he assured everyone that he was totally committed to the said hapless Colchester after their first season in the Championship and totally bled blue and white (or words to that effect).  As part of his "total committment" to the club he took part in various social/fund raising days at Layer Road after the end of the season - as the star striker he signed new (old season) shirts sold at £20 quid a go (to the club, not him) but while in advanced discussions with yourselves.  Long queues of Dads with sons in tow.  (We haven''t had that many "Golden Boots"[+o(]

PS: We don''t have that many fans and consequently not much money and have to raise it where we can.[+o(]  If you are interested we now have a Wedding Licence for the home Changing Room whereas you lot only offer pictures in your Wedding Package.[:|]

His tour of the local media is known this end as the "Jamie Cureton Memorial Lecture".  To compound matters slightly this end he then announced breathlessly on said local media that he only been dragged away from the hapless Colchester by "playing for a club which has real ambition" a statement with which some of you appear to currently disagree.

I just take it on the chin, personally.  If they don''t want to play for you anymore then they can **** off. 

Our biggest loss in that first season was not Jamie, in my opinion, but firstly Iwelumo and then Brown at the back which directly led to us having the worst defence I have seen in probably three decades. 

I''ve watched the DVD of your 5-1 v Colchester and the stand out, for me, were two truly dreadful defences.  If there was any justice you would still have won but it should have been about 8-5.

Ultimately it sunk us both I think, you a season later than us.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

After Jamie''s Golden Boot season there was, naturally enough, speculation about whether he would stay with the hapless Colchester United.  Jamie went on a tour of the local radio stations/media in which he assured everyone that he was totally committed to the said hapless Colchester after their first season in the Championship and totally bled blue and white (or words to that effect).  As part of his "total committment" to the club he took part in various social/fund raising days at Layer Road after the end of the season - as the star striker he signed new (old season) shirts sold at £20 quid a go (to the club, not him) but while in advanced discussions with yourselves.  Long queues of Dads with sons in tow.  (We haven''t had that many "Golden Boots"[+o(]

PS: We don''t have that many fans and consequently not much money and have to raise it where we can.[+o(]  If you are interested we now have a Wedding Licence for the home Changing Room whereas you lot only offer pictures in your Wedding Package.[:|]

His tour of the local media is known this end as the "Jamie Cureton Memorial Lecture".  To compound matters slightly this end he then announced breathlessly on said local media that he only been dragged away from the hapless Colchester by "playing for a club which has real ambition" a statement with which some of you appear to currently disagree.

I just take it on the chin, personally.  If they don''t want to play for you anymore then they can **** off. 

Our biggest loss in that first season was not Jamie, in my opinion, but firstly Iwelumo and then Brown at the back which directly led to us having the worst defence I have seen in probably three decades. 

I''ve watched the DVD of your 5-1 v Colchester and the stand out, for me, were two truly dreadful defences.  If there was any justice you would still have won but it should have been about 8-5.

[/quote]

Who is to blame for the shirt thing though? I would personally direct that blame to the club, as it was surely their initiative, and if he was in advanced talks then the club would have agreed the fee. Sounds like something us lot would do!

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who is to blame for the shirt thing though? I would personally direct that blame to the club, as it was surely their initiative, and if he was in advanced talks then the club would have agreed the fee. Sounds like something us lot would do!

[/quote]

Colchester did not know he was in advanced talks with you via his agent.  But he did.

[:|]

Do you know who some of your players are in talks with?  I don''t, neither do you, nor does Gunny.  Their agent will know while they "think it over."

Gunny and your reserve keeper met last week.  There has been no announcement currently. That''s because your reserve keeper is hoping that his agent will come up with something better.

Will he?  I don''t know.  I am not his agent.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Colchester did not know he was in advanced talks with you via his agent.  But he did.

[:|]

Do you know who some of your players are in talks with?  I don''t, neither do you, nor does Gunny.  Their agent will know while they "think it over."

Gunny and your reserve keeper met last week.  There has been no announcement currently. That''s because your reserve keeper is hoping that his agent will come up with something better.

Will he?  I don''t know.  I am not his agent.

[/quote]

I didnt realise Cureton had gone behind Colchesters back,  but that does constitute an illegal approach. The reserve player goalkeeper can go as far as im concerned! sub standard keeper!