Sign in to follow this  
TheCardinal

Rusty to leave?

Couldn''t help but notice this little passage from the Grant Holt article:

"...while Gunn would not confirm whether midfielder Darel Russell has told the City boss he would prefer to leave the club, rather than battle through League One next season."

Would anyone actually be disappointed should he leave? I don''t think for a second I would be. I always viewed him as a rather ineffective player, to be frank, not particularly good at anything, but decent enough all round.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

"...while Gunn would not confirm whether midfielder Darel Russell has told the City boss he would prefer to leave the club, rather than battle through League One next season."

Would anyone actually be disappointed should he leave? I don''t think for a second I would be. I always viewed him as a rather ineffective player, to be frank, not particularly good at anything, but decent enough all round.

[/quote]

AS I''ve said before, Rusty IS leaving.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]How can he leave, we actually need a squad, and if Clingan is leaving, Rusty can''t, simple as that.[/quote]

I think that''s a rather narrow minded view. Whether or not Clingan is leaving is irrelevant, we need players who want to be here. If he doesn''t want to be here, let him go.

I thought it was clear at the open day.  "We''ll have to wait and see won''t we?"

Translation: "I''ve not heard back from my agent yet............."

[quote user="Gingerpele"]How can he leave, we actually need a squad, and if Clingan is leaving, Rusty can''t, simple as that.[/quote]

I think that''s a rather narrow minded view. Whether or not Clingan is leaving is irrelevant, we need players who want to be here. If he doesn''t want to be here, let him go.

[/quote]

ok.... so we have one Midfielder for next season, we cannot sign:

1 GK

1 RB

1LB

2 CB

3 CM

2 RW

1 LW?

2 ST

can we, so we need to keep as many players as possible

Rusty had a poor season, partly because of having to play up front.

What I think we must remember, is that all the players that are not our of contract are either not proven at any level or failed at Championship level. Of course there are exceptions but Rusty is a good example. Why worry if he goes, I am absolutely convinced we would get a better player to replace him. Well I would be if .............

Right. So you keep players that don''t want to be here and risk upsetting the harmony of the squad?

Rusty will fetch a small fee, and that combined with his wages can be reinvested in finding someone who does want to be here who can do an effective job. Yes, I appreciate it''s one more player to find, but like I said, we need a team pulling in the same direction. Not one with small elements tearing us apart.

Right. So you keep players that don''t want to be here and risk upsetting the harmony of the squad?

Rusty will fetch a small fee, and that combined with his wages can be reinvested in finding someone who does want to be here who can do an effective job. Yes, I appreciate it''s one more player to find, but like I said, we need a team pulling in the same direction. Not one with small elements tearing us apart.

[/quote]

Has he actually said he wants to leave? that says Gunn didnt confirm it or something like that, which probably does mean he wants to leave, but i think Rusty would be right at home in league 1, and who would want him now anyway?

Good question, Ginger. But then we said that about David Marshall.

And also a good point about Rusty not saying he wants to leave. Yes, of course we''re assuming based on inferences. Which is why my original post asked for comments on whether anyone would mind seeing Rusty leave. The debate seems to have taken a different approach on discussing if he does want to leave.

As for him being at home in league one, you could be right. His physicality and attributes would make him well suited for what I imagine League One to be like. I guess the ball is very much in his and his agent''s court. If he wants to leave, it''ll be up to his agent to engineer a move away.

I''m simply saying, that if he or any other player wants to leave, I wouldn''t stand in their way.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How do you know Wiz? Inside info?

[quote user="Bingo"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes Bingo...............

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Bingo"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

"...while Gunn would not confirm whether midfielder Darel Russell has told the City boss he would prefer to leave the club, rather than battle through League One next season."Would anyone actually be disappointed should he leave? I don''t think for a second I would be. I always viewed him as a rather ineffective player, to be frank, not particularly good at anything, but decent enough all round.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes Bingo...............

[/quote]I don''t hope you''re right, but i don''t hope you''re wrong either. No big loss, certainly not a striker, and i''m not too sure he''s a midfielder either! [:|]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Bingo"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes Bingo...............

[/quote]
I don''t hope you''re right, but i don''t hope you''re wrong either. No big loss, certainly not a striker, and i''m not too sure he''s a midfielder either! [:|]
[/quote]

He is like so many others that we have signed recently ..... not good enough.

If Russell wants to go then:  BYE BYE!

One of the most technically incompetent footballers we''ve had at the club, especially considering he''s a midfielder.  I''ve seen better first touches on 18 stone sunday league central defenders.

He is on of the prime reasons we were floating around the bottom of the league all season.

I remember when he left the first time, Worthy said that he''d made Russell a good offer, but it seems he and his agent were suffering from "delusions of grandeur".  As rusty finally settles to a level consumate with his actual footballing ability, here comes the "delusions of grandeur" again. 

So, as I said earlier "BYE! don''t come back this time please".  Even if he doesnt want to leave!

(and no ''trying'' - also known as ''fouling'' is not enough)

[quote user="Gingerpele"]was it the season after Rusty left Stoke went up? it was wasn''t it[/quote]He does have that habit. Think about when he left us [:D]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Gingerpele"]was it the season after Rusty left Stoke went up? it was wasn''t it[/quote]He does have that habit. Think about when he left us [:D][/quote]So if we want promotion this year it might be a good plan!

Thank god for that, another in the long list of poor players that have plagued this club. Can''t control or pass and generally not very good.

[quote user="kdncfc"]

Thank god for that, another in the long list of poor players that have plagued this club. Can''t control or pass and generally not very good.

[/quote]

Russell left Norwich for Stoke in 2004.

Norwich got promoted to the Prem in 2005.

He left Stoke for Norwich in 2007.

Stoke got promoted to the Prem in 2008.

Get rid = get promoted? Get shot of him then...

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

I thought it was clear at the open day.  "We''ll have to wait and see won''t we?"

Translation: "I''ve not heard back from my agent yet............."

[/quote]

What does that mean? I''ve heard of Journalistic license, but that means absolutely nothing. For a start, Gunn hadnt had his meetings with players then. Daryl could simply have been pointing out that the club might have wanted rid of him!

"...while Gunn would not confirm whether midfielder Darel Russell has told the City boss he would prefer to leave the club, rather than battle through League One next season."Would anyone actually be disappointed should he leave? I don''t think for a second I would be. I always viewed him as a rather ineffective player, to be frank, not particularly good at anything, but decent enough all round.

[/quote]spot oni would love to see him go and see a midfield of Spillane and Smith or Clingan if he stays. Russell is ineffective, its no surprise since his return to our midfield weve battled relegation for the 2 seasons he''s been here.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]was it the season after Rusty left Stoke went up? it was wasn''t it[/quote]

If this is true then does it say more about the club he''s left or the player himself...

Wouldn''t bat an eye lid if he left, does nothing apart from constantly fouling the oppostion, and passing backwards.