Sign in to follow this  
Theres only one Ken Foggo

So you think City have got problems?

Quite a few people have commented on the similiarities between

Newcastle and Norwich last season, but after reading the piece below

(which has been doing the rounds of various football messageboards) I

actually feel quite glad that I support City and not the Magpies. It makes for scary reading for Newcastle supporters.FINANCIAL RUIN?Newcastle''s current wage bill is at least £1.1m a week (before employerstax and national insurance). But with TV money slashed (the parachutepayment and Championship deal is worth less than half the Premiership TVdeal), and other income going the same way (clubs can charge a lot more forcorporate hospitality of the opposition is Manchester United or Liverpoolthan they can for Sheffield United or Scunthorpe), Newcastle desperatelyneed to clear the wagebill.When Leeds went down, income was less, but their highest players were on£30-50k a week. Newcastle have (according to Match of the Day) fifteenplayers on £50k a week or more. These include Michael Owen (£115k), MarkViduka (£80k) and Damien Duff (£70k).As a comparison, when Ipswich were relegated, their five highest earnerswere on £32k (Sereni), £32k (Finidi) and £20k (Hreidarsson, Holland andStewart) a week. Ipswich entered administration the following February.Part of that reason was because not enough wages had come off the books(Sereni was on loan to Lazio, Finidi had settled his contract for less thanhalf it''s worth, and Stewart had been sold to Sunderland).As well as those at Newcastle, on over £50k a week, there are another sevenon between £15-40k a week. All 22 will need to go if Newcastle are to stayafloat.The good news is that Cacapa, Michael Owen, Peter Lovenkrands, David Edgar(not one of the 22) and Mark Viduka are out of contract.The bad news is that between now and the end of June, they will have to bepaid six weeks wages (£1.5m+). The further bad news is that before a playerleaves a club two things need to be paid. Any outstanding transfer fee tohis previous club, and any outstanding loyalty bonus to the player.How these works are as follows:Transfer fees (even fixed fees) are rarely paid up front. They have to bepaid over three years (cross-country) or the length of the contract(between English clubs). One payment up front, then another after eachyear. For a three year deal, usually four of 25%, but a minimum of 25% ispaid the first time.Loyalty payments: Usually the signing on fee, although some players cancommand both. Usually a years salary (in the case of 4/5 year contracts)spread across the contract paid in instalments similar to the transfer fee.The only way a player waives their right to these payments are if theysubmit a written transfer request, otherwise, if they are sold early, theyget anything outstanding because it''s not their fault the club has soldthem early, so they should not lose out. Players have been known to agreeto recieved what they are owed over the original length of their contractm,but this isn''t always wise.These are usually the two things that cripple clubs that get relegated.Now in the case of the five out of contract players, there are nooutstanding transfer fees (Owen''s was paid up by 2008, the others allarrived on free transfers). However there are loyalty bonuses worthanything up to £4m oustanding - don''t forget Viduka and Owen are the twohighest paid players. So, Newcastle have to pay £5.5m to players that willnever play for the club again, on the grounds the club cannot afford torenew their contracts.Which is half of the six of the TV parachute payment, or almost double theChampionship deal.And that leaves a wage bill of at least £800k a week (£41.6m). And a lot ofplayers on long contracts - of the other 17 that need to go, Gememi, Beyeand Butt have deals until 2010, Martins, Duff, Bassong and Stephen Tayloruntil 2011, Enrique, Barton, Guthrie, Harper, Smith & Ameobi until 2012,and Coloccini, Nolan, Ryan Taylor, Gutierrez and Xisco until 2013.Taking two assumptions (that all transfer fees are paid in the stagesoutlined above, except Nolan and Ryan Taylor who arrived in January, andaccording to Ashley whose fees were paid in full in Jan), there is £29moutstanding on the transfer fees of the other 17 players, and approximately£22m on the loyalty bonuses. £51m in total. (Just over the estimated incomefor a season for a Championship club Newcastle''s size). In that respect, itwould almost certainly be cheaper to give it a try. However, if it fails...In other words, if the wages of the players concerned don''t crippleNewcastle, the fees the club will need to pay to get the players off thebooks will - because Bassong may have been worth £8m last week, but onceclubs know that a side is desperate for cash - and no-one in football isunder any illusions about Newcastle''s position - player values drop byabout 75%.And because of the need to settle fees and contracts, Newcastle will needto ask for all fees up front - reducing the fees even more, and reducingthe income for future years.(all estimates based on reported fees, wages and contract lengths)

The most poorly managed club in the country? Sub standard has beens on millions a year.

Would serve them right.

Goes to show how many isnt everything

Who cares about the arrogant Toon scum.  They are where they deserve to be.  Badly run (like us) admittedly, but they have been telling anyone stupid enough to listen for years that they deserve this and deserve that, well they''ve got what they deserve....tough.

[quote user="OldRobert"]Who cares about the arrogant Toon scum.  They are where they deserve to be.  Badly run (like us) admittedly, but they have been telling anyone stupid enough to listen for years that they deserve this and deserve that, well they''ve got what they deserve....tough.[/quote]

And probably, so have we.....

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="OldRobert"]Who cares about the arrogant Toon scum.  They are where they deserve to be.  Badly run (like us) admittedly, but they have been telling anyone stupid enough to listen for years that they deserve this and deserve that, well they''ve got what they deserve....tough.[/quote]

And probably, so have we.....

[/quote]

Yes we have...can''t disagree.  But I don''t remember our fans going on all the time about deserving this honour and that cup.  Ashley is a fat to**er, Delia is a cook.  He wanted too much for the club all season as she does.  He has only started to see a modicum of sense in the last few days, maybe one day she might see sense.

Anyway why are we talking about them.  What are they for??

I still think in the current economic climate £100M for a championship club is a hell of a lot of money. The thing with Newcastle is that very few of those players are going to attract a fee. Also its fair to say that alot of those players wont be offered anywhere near the same amount of money as what newcastle are paying them. I can see alot of they just taking the money at newcastle.

I know as a Norwich fan I cant really talk but I am finding this situation at Newcastle very amusing. I just find that club so arrogant. They seem to think that just because they get 50,000 fans they are a big club and they have this devine right to be in the top league. Their fans keep on blaming ashley yet I think they are also to blame. It was them who hounded allardyce out of a job because he diddnt play good football and they told ashley to get that clown keegan back. Everyone apart from those newcastle fans knew that would end in tears. If they would have kept allardyce there would have been no chance of them being in a relegation battle.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

The most poorly managed club in the country? Sub standard has beens on millions a year.

Would serve them right.

Goes to show how many isnt everything

[/quote]But most people on this message board would regard that as ambition.............

On the subject of newcastle was looking on youtube and found this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrLSMQy35E&feature=channel_page

I would recommed watching it. Could not stop laughing when I first watched it

[quote user="ndhscanary"]

On the subject of newcastle was looking on youtube and found this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrLSMQy35E&feature=channel_page

I would recommed watching it. Could not stop laughing when I first watched it

[/quote]

It is a funny old game, football.

Some of you sang "We''ll never play you again" to the hapless Colchester.

No argument with that but guess what?[:|]

"But I don''t remember our fans going on all the time about deserving this honour and that cup."

er...

"Norwich City Independent Supporters Association wishes to place on record that it has no faith or confidence in the current make up of the boardroom, to make the correct appointments and decisions, in order that we reclaim

our rightful place in the football world."

What is our rightful place again?

[quote user="Metatron"]"But I don''t remember our fans going on all the time about deserving this honour and that cup." er... "Norwich City Independent Supporters Association wishes to place on record that it has no faith or confidence in the current make up of the boardroom, to make the correct appointments and decisions, in order that we reclaim our rightful place in the football world." What is our rightful place again?[/quote]

Good point.  I''ve never been lucky enough to have a club with a rightful place.  I wonder how it is worked out?[;)]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="Metatron"]"But I don''t remember our fans going on all the time about deserving this honour and that cup." er... "Norwich City Independent Supporters Association wishes to place on record that it has no faith or confidence in the current make up of the boardroom, to make the correct appointments and decisions, in order that we reclaim our rightful place in the football world." What is our rightful place again?[/quote]

Good point.  I''ve never been lucky enough to have a club with a rightful place.  I wonder how it is worked out?[;)]

[/quote]

I was about to respond to this too!

Swindon Town and Oldham Athletic were once in the Premier League, I bet they dont consider the Premiership to be their rightful place!

AFC Wimbledon on the other hand could probably consider the football league be their ''rightful place'' in recent years, and Luton Town fans could currently consider the football league their ''rightful place'' at the moment too.

Of course, the NCISA could have been referring to Championship mediocrity as our rightful place after spending 13 out of 14 years there, its only natural that we would feel at home!

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

Cripes. Newcastle could well be the next Luton. Very scary times for them indeed.

[/quote]

Might be the wake up call that English football needs. The Premiership and the FA have continously ignored the plight of football league clubs, until they watch one of their own pulled apart. It could be Man Utd one day, or Chelsea, and I will personally be watching in glee if it happens. I dont mind Arsenal too much, at least they spend more wisely.

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

Cripes. Newcastle could well be the next Luton. Very scary times for them indeed.

[/quote]

Might be the wake up call that English football needs. The Premiership and the FA have continously ignored the plight of football league clubs, until they watch one of their own pulled apart. It could be Man Utd one day, or Chelsea, and I will personally be watching in glee if it happens. I dont mind Arsenal too much, at least they spend more wisely.

[/quote]They didn''t do anything when Newcastle were in division 3 last time, pre-Keegan, why should they now ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They didn''t do anything when Newcastle were in division 3 last time, pre-Keegan, why should they now ?
[/quote]

That was a different era in football, before the TV money. The fact that Newcastle are coming down with a £50m wage bill into a league where an £8m wage bill would make you one of the biggest just goes to show how far football has pushed itself. We have always claimed that the championship clubs were the victims of a large gap in finances between the two divisions, but the real victims are those big clubs such as Leeds or Newcastle that spend big and then mess up.

My point is that premiership clubs and the FA are hammering the nails into their own coffins.

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]They didn''t do anything when Newcastle were in division 3 last time, pre-Keegan, why should they now ?[/quote]

That was a different era in football, before the TV money. The fact that Newcastle are coming down with a £50m wage bill into a league where an £8m wage bill would make you one of the biggest just goes to show how far football has pushed itself. We have always claimed that the championship clubs were the victims of a large gap in finances between the two divisions, but the real victims are those big clubs such as Leeds or Newcastle that spend big and then mess up.

My point is that premiership clubs and the FA are hammering the nails into their own coffins.

[/quote]I thoroughly agree Ryan, I guess I just don''t have the faith in the FA to notice it [:)]

difference with leeds and newcastle as well is .....

1. leeds started shipping high wages before relegation and was kind of prepared for when they finally went down (albeit a few stars still their) - this meant leeds got decent fee''s. also their squad was mid-early 20s

2. necastle on other hand havnt prepared, majority of squad are late20s-early 30s, all chelsea, manutd reserves on 50k a week with no value price wise. so realistically newcastle to get rid of likes viduka, geremi, duff, smith need to release them (paying up their contract) or sell them (max 2m)

there only real saleable assests (over 2m) are guthrie, nolan, taylor, carroll imo 

basically newcastle your f*cked

[quote user="we8wba"]

difference with leeds and newcastle as well is .....

1. leeds started shipping high wages before relegation and was kind of prepared for when they finally went down (albeit a few stars still their) - this meant leeds got decent fee''s. also their squad was mid-early 20s

2. necastle on other hand havnt prepared, majority of squad are late20s-early 30s, all chelsea, manutd reserves on 50k a week with no value price wise. so realistically newcastle to get rid of likes viduka, geremi, duff, smith need to release them (paying up their contract) or sell them (max 2m)

there only real saleable assests (over 2m) are guthrie, nolan, taylor, carroll imo 

basically newcastle your f*cked

[/quote]

Have you even bothered to read the original post? £2m for Nolan wouldnt pay what they owe both him and Bolton.  They probably owe money on Guthrie, and Carroll is probably one of the few players that they can afford to keep. Steven Taylor isnt going to be one that they want to lose either, but yeah he probably will end up going. They could get £6m or £7m for Taylor I reckon.

Why the f*ck cant Mike Ashley keep them propped up? The bloke has come along, dished out the contracts, sacked half decent managers and is now prepared to asset strip them so that he can get £80m back? Makes Delia look perfect.

[quote user="Big Bob"]£1.1m per week. Overpaid much?[/quote]

I think Owen and Viduka take about 140k of that, so theres a start for them!  Giving 90k to Michael Owen was a stupid idea in hindsight, to think that he earns nearly as much as John Terry and Steven Gerrard, and then to look at the difference in the quality of player!

From the Daily Mail here''s a breakdown of the big earners at Newcastle.

WORTH KEEPING:

NICKY BUTT £60,000 a week — a leader who will be needed.

STEVEN TAYLOR £40,000 — a proud Geordie who will want to make amends.

DANNY GUTHRIE £40,000 — will do well in Championship.

SHOLA AMEOBI £40,000 — Football League is his level.

STEVE HARPER £30,000 — deserves a run as No 1.

RYAN TAYLOR £30,000 — should pick up in lower level.

ON THEIR WAY:

MICHAEL OWEN £105,000 — out of contract, needs a new club.

DAMIEN DUFF £70,000 — says he wants to stay (yeah, right).

OBAFEMI MARTINS £70,000 — on the first plane out of Tyneside, never to beseen again.

ALAN SMITH £60,000 — strangely has a list of clubs who want him.

MARK VIDUKA £60,000 — Aussie beaches beckon.

GEREMI £60,000 — odds on for a Turkish club who need a 40-plus player.

£50,000 — cost £5.6m but no use now.

HABIB BEYE £50,000 — one of few to leave with integrity intact.

IGNACIO GONZALEZ £50,000 — who indeed?

CACAPA £40,000 — one of the worst Brazilians ever.

SEBASTIEN BASSONG £30,000 — one of Newcastle’s few assets.

PETER LOVENKRANDS £20,000 — brief loan spell to end.

KEVIN NOLAN £50,000 — January signing which backfired.

HARD TO SHIFT:

JOEY BARTON £60,000 — who would be mad enough to buy him?

JOSE ENRIQUE £60,000 — cost £6m, which was £6m too much.

FABRICIO COLOCCINI £60,000 — he was frighteningly bad.

XISCO £50,000 — an expensive flop.