Sign in to follow this  
Eadies Left, Hucks Right, Iwans Heed, Holts Laugh!

If they are set on buying a keeper - Matty Gilks?

Lets face facts Nelson was only ever a cheap back up to Marshall coz we couldn''t get anyone else.

Personally I would like to see Matty Gilks back he''s not in the Blackpool team and their keeper was player of the year so guess he might not be getting in, although they have changed gaffer. Never had a fair go at us and sure he would come back, know someone at the club who said that he was better than Marshall but felt they had to play him coz he cost us a bit!!!!

Other alternative would be Ian Bennett as a free experienced keeper to compete with Rudd, just like the Green / Critchon situation.

Darren Ward has retired.

Matty Gilks would be absolutely ideal in my opinion; he''s a great goalkeeper, and obviously a great character from DD''s recent comments. Perhaps he should have made a move to a bigger League One club instead of joining the Great Peter Grant Goalkeeper Grab of a couple of summers ago (we also signed Marshall when we already had Joe Lewis in the wings), well now he can! He''s played around 200 league games for Rochdale so he''s pretty experienced, and if Rudd can''t displace him immediately we could sign an older goalkeeper on loan as cover and send him out on loan to League Two for experience.

[quote user="Eadie''s Left, Hucks''s Right, Iwans Heed!!!"]

Lets face facts Nelson was only ever a cheap back up to Marshall coz we couldn''t get anyone else.

Personally I would like to see Matty Gilks back he''s not in the Blackpool team and their keeper was player of the year so guess he might not be getting in, although they have changed gaffer. Never had a fair go at us and sure he would come back, know someone at the club who said that he was better than Marshall but felt they had to play him coz he cost us a bit!!!!

Other alternative would be Ian Bennett as a free experienced keeper to compete with Rudd, just like the Green / Critchon situation.

ian bennet, always my favourite even at brum in the playoff final!

Matty Gilks, alongside Mark Tyler are the type of players i believe we really need. Either of them would do a fantastic job in League 1. Both very good keepers, who have more than done thier time and proved themselves in the lower Leagues.

Gilly is a good face to have around. Very vocal and will be a great coach too

I remember when we had Marshall, Gilks and Lewis. Good times.Mark Tyler or Matthew Gilks would be acceptable

Shame about Darren Ward.

Though I would go for Mark Tyler or Ian Bennett over Matty Gilkes. That said Dublin was full of praise for Matty Gilkes.

He was certainly loved here by the team and squad, I think he would relish the chance to come back and prove his worth. I know someone said that their keeper was POTS, but you think he would have been signed as number 1 and would have started a few! Wouldn''t it be weird of we sold Hoolahoop back to them and we get Gilkes in return. Bloody hope not as I have said in 37 posts, WH is so important for us in my eyes.

Gilks was a great guy I met him a few times and always spoke to me and the family, he loved Norwich and was great mates with DD and next door neighbour to Crofty. He thought Norwich city was a brilliant club and really appreciated being here, and part of the set up.  He wanted to play football and never got the chance sadly here and wasn''t happy on the bench.   

I vaguely recall that Gilks left under a bit of a storm, as he didn''t want to be the sweetener in the Hoolahan deal, or something. I''m sure there was a poster on here alluding to some disagreement or other in exactly how the deal between City, Blackpool and Gilks panned out. I''ll try scanning later for a link to the posting about it, if I remember...

If anyone in the meantime can recall the situation, that would be reasurring to know I haven''t dreamt that up...    

PS: for the record, I would happily have him back, I rated him then and I rate him now.