Sign in to follow this  
Murray Hewitt

Do the fans mind where investment comes from?

We all know Delia wants to sell or gain investment from British investers, but do you other fans mind where investment comes from, be it Arab, U.S or other money?

[quote user="Lee lightyear croft"]We all know Delia wants to sell or gain investment from British investers, but do you other fans mind where investment comes from, be it Arab, U.S or other money?[/quote]

I dont mind where it comes from, but i DO care about the nature of the agreeement.

Look at Glazier, he made the CLUB pay for HIM to buy the club! 

I do. I certainly wouldn''t want my club associated with anyone who was involved with one or more of corruption, human rights violations, tax evasion etc (mention no names here!) and if someone with this sort of track record did get involved I would scale back my involvement with the club, probably by not going to games until their involvement ceased. There''s a sliding scale after that - for example I''d prefer not to have someone with associations with the binners, and my preference would be for someone who could demonstrate a genuine love for the club, rather than a love of publicity or money making.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[quote user="Lee lightyear croft"]We all know Delia wants to sell or gain investment from British investers, but do you other fans mind where investment comes from, be it Arab, U.S or other money?[/quote]

I dont mind where it comes from, but i DO care about the nature of the agreeement.

[/quote]I''d like to think that people would prefer that it came from local or UK investors.  But with that said, it''s more to do with the nature of the investor as anything else.  Look at Ashley trying to bail out at Newcastle, or Portsmouth for that matter.  Rupert Lowe was known to Southampton and that went horribly wrong.For all the decisions that could have been taken differently, at least our lot have stuck with us, and are still putting money into the club.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

I''d like to think that people would prefer that it came from local or UK investors.  But with that said, it''s more to do with the nature of the investor as anything else.  Look at Ashley trying to bail out at Newcastle, or Portsmouth for that matter.  Rupert Lowe was known to Southampton and that went horribly wrong.

For all the decisions that could have been taken differently, at least our lot have stuck with us, and are still putting money into the club.
[/quote]

And it appears we are stuck with them.

NEW POSTER!!! I don''t mind where the investment comes from as long as any new member of the board/owner listens to the fans opinions and is PRO-active rather than the current self believing, sly, decietful, RE-active 3 that we have left at the club (not including Munby+Doomcaster)

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I do.

I certainly wouldn''t want my club associated with anyone who was involved with one or more of corruption, human rights violations, tax evasion etc (mention no names here!) and if someone with this sort of track record did get involved I would scale back my involvement with the club, probably by not going to games until their involvement ceased. There''s a sliding scale after that - for example I''d prefer not to have someone with associations with the binners, and my preference would be for someone who could demonstrate a genuine love for the club, rather than a love of publicity or money making.
[/quote]

That has nothing to do with the country though does it, that has more to do with the nature of the individual. Wigan is owned by the boss of JJB. He has made his fortune retailing clothing from brands such as Nike, and im sure that I dont need to explain Nikes association with human rights violations.

Lets throw that full circle and ask you to name a few clubs that pride themselves on corporate social responsibility. One of those clubs would probably be Barcelona, who give their shirt sponsership to Unicef. How fantastic everybody shouts. Only, about 20 cms away from that Unicef logo is a Nike Logo. They are able to give their sponsorship to Unicef as a result of the vast amount of money that they take from Nike, and how the Nike corporate machine rubs its hands in glee at such an arrangement.

It is hard enough to find money anywhere, yet alone money that hasnt been generated through at least indirect association with corruption, tax evasion and human rights violations. Unless of course you are taking about selling the club to the North Korean government, Osama Bin Laden or the bloke who defrauded the banks, then you probably need to take a Frankie Dettori style jump off of your morale high horse.

I don''t understand the reference to the country? I was merely holding up a certain Mr Shinawatra as the extreme end of the spectrum of how unpleasant a reputation of a club owner can be. Don''t see why this means I''m on a high horse since I would theoretically be actively depriving myself of something I love because of moral convictions.If you want to follow your argument to its logical extreme, the only morally correct course of action is to dig a hole somewhere quiet, shoot yourself (perhaps stab yourself so you''re not giving support to the arms industry), fall in and rot quietly. Of course, in today''s global economy you can probably prove any funding is tainted - even Saint Delia! That doesn''t mean it''s OK to ignore any question of whether investors are "fit and proper" people to run our club.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I don''t understand the reference to the country? I was merely holding up a certain Mr Shinawatra as the extreme end of the spectrum of how unpleasant a reputation of a club owner can be. Don''t see why this means I''m on a high horse since I would theoretically be actively depriving myself of something I love because of moral convictions.

If you want to follow your argument to its logical extreme, the only morally correct course of action is to dig a hole somewhere quiet, shoot yourself (perhaps stab yourself so you''re not giving support to the arms industry), fall in and rot quietly. Of course, in today''s global economy you can probably prove any funding is tainted - even Saint Delia! That doesn''t mean it''s OK to ignore any question of whether investors are "fit and proper" people to run our club.
[/quote]

The Original Post referred to whether we would take money from Arabs or the USA, your response obviously wasnt too consistant with that. You also never mentioned Mr Shinawatra anywhere on this thread. My point is that asking whether we would take American or Arab money as opposed to whether we would take unethical money is too completely different things, and you appeared to make an association with foreign investment being dodgy investment. Personally I would be happy to have Roman Abramovich at Norwich City if it meant buying people like Micheal Ballack, your argument would be that Roman Abramovich is seen is Russia as a tax evader. So contrary to taking my argument to a logical extreme, I am actually seeing sense and acknowledging that all money is dodgy money.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]must be either american or english! not arab[/quote]

You have missed out most of the worlds geographical regions there. No Scots then? No Welsh?

Peterboroughs owners would have been turned away for being Irish?  Mandaric wouldnt be given the opportunity to win us League One because hes European?

Have you got BNP tattooed to your forehead?

[quote user="Lee lightyear croft"]We all know Delia wants to sell or gain investment from British investers, but do you other fans mind where investment comes from, be it Arab, U.S or other money?[/quote]i dont aslong as its clean money if ya know what i mean...no arms dealers etc etc [Y]

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]must be either american or english! not arab[/quote]

You have missed out most of the worlds geographical regions there. No Scots then? No Welsh?

Peterboroughs owners would have been turned away for being Irish?  Mandaric wouldnt be given the opportunity to win us League One because hes European?

Have you got BNP tattooed to your forehead?

[/quote]

well I think it must be someone BRITISH or AMERICAN, the foreign chairmen, often try to bring their countrys players to the game, as well as the manager brings their countrys players to their team (gunn, grant)!!!

I think I have to agree with banana, look at hearts that man turned hearts into the lithuania national team, refused to let any manager pick their own team and generally spent money on ridiculous foreign signings.

[quote user="Lee lightyear croft"]We all know Delia wants to sell or gain investment from British investers, but do you other fans mind where investment comes from, be it Arab, U.S or other money?[/quote]Not me.  Hell, I''d take a hundred or so million in Nazi gold.  I''d even take Israeli state funding.

[quote user="SA Canary"]

I think I have to agree with banana, look at hearts that man turned hearts into the lithuania national team, refused to let any manager pick their own team and generally spent money on ridiculous foreign signings.

[/quote]

That would be the Hearts that have finished 3rd in their league and will be playing in Europe next season, god forbid that should happen to us..

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I do.

I certainly wouldn''t want my club associated with anyone who was involved with one or more of corruption, human rights violations, tax evasion etc and if someone with this sort of track record did get involved I would scale back my involvement with the club, probably by not going to games until their involvement ceased. 
[/quote]

That''s every single MP ruled out of the equation then!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Lee lightyear croft"]We all know Delia wants to sell or gain investment from British investers, but do you other fans mind where investment comes from, be it Arab, U.S or other money?[/quote]

Not me.  Hell, I''d take a hundred or so million in Nazi gold.  I''d even take Israeli state funding.

[/quote]

If you go for the Israel state funding option expect tougher stewarding with those standing up being shot dead.