Sign in to follow this  
Gentleman Jim

O.K. who was City's best player then ?

As the opposite has been covered wouldn''t it be more friendly to name the BEST player we have had ?

In my era it has to be Dave Stringer !

Also he  was,(with due respect to Worthy) subsequently our best manager. IMHO

I suppose it depends on how you define best player. In terms of crowd pleasing players you couldn''t go far wrong with Dale Gordon or Robert Fleck.  For consistency, what about Bryan Gunn or Dave Watson. Steve Bruce would be another choice.  For ruthlessness in front of goal, Kevin Drinkell or Mark Robins?

Martin O''Neill was quality in midfield, but my overall winner would be Ian Crook, I don''t think we have ever properly replaced him. Great passing ability and what a free-kick too, he was also loyal to the club too.

Dave Stringer - the best ever clubman - the best ever manager.

Best player, very difficult to chose between Ron Davies and Colin Suggett ( oh why did he finish up at Scumsville ).

Best player is probably a bit difficult. How can you compare a goalkeeper''s job to that of a right winger for example.

The best team though (assuming 4-4-2) is surely as follows:

Kevin Keelan - Ian Culverhouse, Steve Bruce, Dave Watson, Mark Bowen - Martin O''Neill, Martin Peters, Ian Crook, Darren Huckerby - Chris Sutton, Ted MacDougall.

Surely we''d win the Premiership! 

The EN did a poll a few years ago of the greatest Canary and made a Best XI out of the results:

Kevin Keelan 56%
Ian Culverhouse 33%
Mark Bowen 60%
Steve Bruce 52%
Dave Watson 44%
Barry Butler 38%
Martin O''Neill 39%
Martin Peters 71%
Bobby Brennan 29%
Ted MacDougall 29%
Ron Davies 52%

Topping the poll was England World Cup winner and former City skipper Martin Peters. Seven out of every ten voters included him in their line-up.

In all, 140 players received votes. Those who narrowly missed out on the final 11 include Ian Crook (28 per cent), Ron Ashman (27 per cent) and Chris Sutton (25 per cent). Ken Nethercott, with 19 per cent, was next goalkeeper in the poll. Of the City side at the time of the poll, Iwan Roberts had the most support at 15 per cent.

Best ever player? In my view a toss up between Martin Peters and Kevin Keelan.

I totally agree that Dave Stringer was our best ever manager.

OTBC.

I have to agree with Keelans Glove on this on - Sutton was the best all round player I have seen at the club. Others vying for my attention are Peters, Kevin Reeves, Bellamy, Keelan & big Dave Watson. Eadie comes into the category of most exciting yet never quite filling their potential - a tragedy of a career killed by brutal defending and weakened knees.

OTBC

I was thinking about Darren Eadie yesterday, and THAT England weak left side.

It''s such a shame he never got back to his old self - he was a left sided version of Shaun Wright-Phillips with those little legs whirring and the change of pace.

Could (and in my opinion would) have gone on to be our best ever player if he hadn''t have got that first injury (was it knee ligaments?).

I''m not old enough to have seen Martin Peters but I''m told he was superb - in my era I''d say that Ian Crook was probably the best player I''ve seen and I might get knocked for this but possibly Greeno...

''Come on''

how could we not mention jimmy bone, what a crowd pleaser. he used to come out and have a kick about with st johns men or the coppers and would always try to lift the crowd at set pieces, didnt have a bad partnership with dave cross either.