Sign in to follow this  
cockers85

International Canaries

Can anyone think of any Norwich players who went to a World Cup/Euros while actually at Norwich???

I Can think of two initially

Fleck- 1990 World Cup Scotland

Woods- 1986 World Cup England

Townsend- 1990 World Cup Ireland, although not sure bout this one

[quote user="Willmeister"]Gunn 1990. Green never went, did his groin in that ''B'' match remember?[/quote]Almost as funny as getting mugged at Forest, boih cost a goal

[quote user="lynn canary"]Was Martin Peters at Norwich when he played in the World Cup final ?[/quote]

He was at West Ham in 1966. He moved to Norwich in 1975.

[quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"]

[quote user="lynn canary"]Was Martin Peters at Norwich when he played in the World Cup final ?[/quote]

He was at West Ham in 1966. He moved to Norwich in 1975.

[/quote]

Think you''ve been mugged there mate!

Morocco didn''t make the 2006 finals, he only played in the African Cup of Nations while with us. I think the last person from Norwich City to be called up to a World Cup squad was Ekoku in 94, don''t think he played at all though.

He did yes, in Euro 2004 and World Cup 2006, however his Norwich career was sandwiched between both of these so never whilst a Norwich player. Apparently he had a very good Euro 2004 which is what lead worthy to sign him.

Fleck played 2 games in 1990.  He started in the 2-1 win over Sweden, and came on as a late sub in Brazil defeat.  Unfortunately Scotland lost to heavyweights Costa Rica in their opener so that was that.  Gunn travelled but was third choice behind Jim Leighton and Andy Goram. I loved Fleck being there as a City player.

Woods was much the same in 86, fighting out with the over-rated Gary Bailey for number 2 spot behind Shilton, and didn''t get on. Mr Worthington had a decent campaign whilst at Sheff Wed though.

Townsend was our most successful World Cupper - played all 5 games in 1990, until hosts Italy put them out.  Scored a pen in the shoot out win over Romania too.

Watson didn''t go to the WC in 86.  He went to the Euro''s in 88 when we were terrible, and got on against Russia starting the 3-1 defeat - but he was at Everton by then.  I also remember him captaining an all ageing star side which provided a warm up in Hong Kong before the 2002 WC - it finished 1-0 or something.  England were awful. Watson''s namesake the ex-Saints./Man City player from the 70s holds the record for the most England appearances without ever playing in a WC by the way - 65.

[quote user="Nishclishbang"]

Fleck played 2 games in 1990.  He started in the 2-1 win over Sweden, and came on as a late sub in Brazil defeat.  Unfortunately Scotland lost to heavyweights Costa Rica in their opener so that was that.  Gunn travelled but was third choice behind Jim Leighton and Andy Goram. I loved Fleck being there as a City player.

Woods was much the same in 86, fighting out with the over-rated Gary Bailey for number 2 spot behind Shilton, and didn''t get on. Mr Worthington had a decent campaign whilst at Sheff Wed though.

Townsend was our most successful World Cupper - played all 5 games in 1990, until hosts Italy put them out.  Scored a pen in the shoot out win over Romania too.

Watson didn''t go to the WC in 86.  He went to the Euro''s in 88 when we were terrible, and got on against Russia starting the 3-1 defeat - but he was at Everton by then.  I also remember him captaining an all ageing star side which provided a warm up in Hong Kong before the 2002 WC - it finished 1-0 or something.  England were awful. Watson''s namesake the ex-Saints./Man City player from the 70s holds the record for the most England appearances without ever playing in a WC by the way - 65.

[/quote]

I thought Watson captained the all-stars (or whatever they were) side in Hong Kong just before/after it was handed back over to the Chinese. Circa 1997  not 2002?

[quote user="Nishclishbang"]

[/quote]

Fleck was outstanding in that Sweden game.  I never understood why he was dropped for the Brazil match.

Townsend was still technically at Norwich but had all but jumped ship for Chelsea.  I never felt he was one of ''ours'' at that tournament.

What about Martin O''Neill in 1982 for Northern Ireland?

Yes O''Neill was at Norwich for the 82 WC.  He also played 5 games (like Townsend) but was subbed in one (unlike Townsend).  He was outstanding in the 1-0 win over hosts Spain.  John O''Neill also made the squad but was at QPR then (remember him? - broken leg on debut by John Fashanu).

Neither of us were right, but you were closer.........In the build-up to Euro ''96, Watson led a Hong-Kong Select XI against Terry Venables European Championship bound side. The Select XI was comprised of a hotch-potch of Hong Kong club players and veteran Premiership stars - and were supposed to give England a morale-boosting send-off by conceding a glut of goals. Watson, however, has never accepted defeat easily in his life and the Select XI severely embarrassed England''s best.

Article doesn''t say what the score was, but I think it was 1-0 to England.