Sign in to follow this  
George Smiley

Do you think a sweeper system would work for us in league 1?

[quote user="renegadecanary"]Are there any teams  anywhere which play this way?  It may be worth a try , what attributes do you need to make it effective?[/quote]A team transported from 1984?

[quote user="Hockey the yellow Gerrard"][quote user="renegadecanary"]

Does anybody know what i am talking about?  hope this helps   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_(football)

[/quote]

Mike Walker used it in his first stint with us ,usually away from home , but it requires a quick positionaly aware centre back or full back and unfortunately i dont think we have either.
[/quote]

lol we certainly don''t have either.

Still think my suggestion for the sweeper is best. [:)]

[quote user="Hockey the yellow Gerrard"][quote user="renegadecanary"]

Does anybody know what i am talking about?  hope this helps   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_(football)

[/quote]Mike Walker used it in his first stint with us ,usually away from home , but it requires a quick positionaly aware centre back or full back and unfortunately i dont think we have either.[/quote]

Quick and positionally aware? We have Jon Otsemobor, the greatest defender alive.

[quote user="renegadecanary"]Are there any teams  anywhere which play this way?  It may be worth a try , what attributes do you need to make it effective?[/quote]4-4-2 is as good as your gonna get from Gunn!

[quote user="Barclayend66"]We cant afford a broom, maybe we could get one on a season long loan from the council.[/quote]

After lengthy negotiations I am willing to donate a broom to the cause.

It depends what kind of a sweeper you are talking about.More often than not you have the sweeper being played as a defencive midfielder these days with the sweeping infront of the defensive line rather than someone doing the covering behind. The only problem with this is that in days gone by the sweeper would be assigned a player to concentrate on as well - defensive midfielder do not always seem to be given this task.In a way Gary Holt played this role. It sort of gives your midfield a dimond shape with an attacking midfielder slightly further forward.Its the way that Liverpool work with Mascherano sitting behind a rampaging Gerrard. Sometimes you can get players that can do both like Alonso or Essien who can play both roles equally well.It can be a great system but it can also leave you short on width in the middle if wide players have to come in and help cover the Gerrard type.A strange fact to throw in here - the Liverpool pitch is actually too small to really be allowed to be used in the Champions League according to FIFA regulations. However they have been given special dispensation due to the age of the ground. I learnt that after going on a stadium tour of Anfield - I was mighterly chuffed when the tour guide (and she was cute too) did the last goal infront of a standing kop Geremy Goss bit.

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="renegadecanary"]Are there any teams  anywhere which play this way?  It may be worth a try , what attributes do you need to make it effective?[/quote]4-4-2 is as good as your gonna get from Gunn![/quote]Are you sure? I am certain that he played 4-3-3 at times last season. Mind you what would I know I am not the England manager . . . . . .

[quote user="OldRobert"]

[quote user="Barclayend66"]We cant afford a broom, maybe we could get one on a season long loan from the council.[/quote]

[/quote]

Blimey, now if that isn''t a massive gesture of good will from a fan I don''t know what is, I shall donate a mop, for cleaning up the c**p on the pitch we have to watch. [:)]

[quote user="renegadecanary"]Are there any teams  anywhere which play this way?  It may be worth a try , what attributes do you need to make it effective?[/quote]

We had enough trouble with 4-4-2 last season, so any over-complication and some new positions might cause a great deal of confusion to the current set of players, so I''d say a no to that idea.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"]

[/quote]

Blimey, now if that isn''t a massive gesture of good will from a fan I don''t know what is, I shall donate a mop, for cleaning up the c**p on the pitch we have to watch. [:)]

[/quote]

What can I say.  What support.  Would you agree to me adding a bucket (a very large one) for your mop?

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What can I say.  What support.  Would you agree to me adding a bucket (a very large one) for your mop?

[/quote]

Hell why not, in for a penny, in for a pound lol

Holt never played as a sweeper, he played as a ANCHOR man at the base of a midfield diamond, a sweeper plays behind the back four.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]I''d like to offer to match your broom donation ''pound for pound'', as it were.... although if you don''t donate all of your broom, then I''m afraid I''m just going to be able to afford a new handle...............

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I''d like to offer to match your broom donation ''pound for pound'', as it were.... although if you don''t donate all of your broom, then I''m afraid I''m just going to be able to afford a new handle...............
[/quote]

Ok so so far we have a broom, a bucket and mop, why don''t you just donate a dustpan and brush? lol

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I''d like to offer to match your broom donation ''pound for pound'', as it were.... although if you don''t donate all of your broom, then I''m afraid I''m just going to be able to afford a new handle...............
[/quote]

Ok so so far we have a broom, a bucket and mop, why don''t you just donate a dustpan and brush? lol

[/quote]

I will keep to my word and donate a whole broom, and nothing but a broom, so help me God.  I think a dustpan and brush would be a good alternative to a matching donation, but I am unable to offer you a rebate for using it on a D3 pitch.  I think we should consider loaning a shovel, perhaps we could ask our senior scout to start looking into that.

Great Idea, but as I understand from another thread, he is training to be a train driver or a ticket collector....so we may have to think again.

Chicken is right in that the modern day sweeper has been moved in front of the back four and now plays as a holding midfielder. The reason for this is that very few teams play with two out and out strikers instead favouring split strikers or just one up front. Of course what we are seeing now is that the deep lying striker often peels wide to escape the holding midfielder (Thierry Henry was probably most famous for this but it applies equaly to the likes of Rooney, Messi and even Hucks) which has led to the advent of the 4-2-3-1 formation. One holding midfielder to stay in the middle and cover the runners from the oppositions midfield and one to track the movements of the deep lying striker out wide.In other words I doubt you''ll ever see a professional football team play with a sweeper again [:D] Unless Gunny starts experimenting [:''(][;)]

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I will keep to my word and donate a whole broom, and nothing but a broom, so help me God.  I think a dustpan and brush would be a good alternative to a matching donation, but I am unable to offer you a rebate for using it on a D3 pitch.  I think we should consider loaning a shovel, perhaps we could ask our senior scout to start looking into that.

[/quote]

But where would that leave the feather duster in all this?

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mmmmmm.  Feather duster far to lightweight to deal with all the heavy "deposits" on the pitch.

The players we have can capable to play sweeper:

Drury, he seems played a bit when Malky in the team, plenty of experience there.

Spillane, seems he will have play the ball ability but lack of experience, worth a try

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="OldRobert"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mmmmmm.  Feather duster far to lightweight to deal with all the heavy "deposits" on the pitch.

[/quote]

Ok so the feather duster is out