Sign in to follow this  
The Fish Seller

Another Championship Club finds that elusive investment.

Net tycoon in buyout bid at Owls from The PeopleAlan NixonCanadian multi-millionaire Jeff Mallett is looking into a takeover at Sheffield Wednesday.Sports-mad Mallett has stakes in Vancouver Whitecaps, who are chasing a place in the American MLS, and San Francisco Giants baseball team.Mallett played football and baseball before becoming a leading businessman and former president of internet company Yahoo.

His companies also have links with Derby County behind the scenes, but now he is looking at buying a big chunk of Championship outfit Wednesday.Mallett has been in contact with one of the leading shareholders at Hillsborough and is seriously considering taking a big interest in the Owls, who have been up for sale for over a year.The discussions are at an early stage, but Mallett is a ''go-getter'' and sources close to him say that he could do something quite quickly. There have been no figures mentioned, but he has the cash to buy a stake and help out the team.

[:|]

[quote user="Buckethead"]Net tycoon in buyout bid at Owls from The People
Alan Nixon

Canadian multi-millionaire Jeff Mallett is looking into a takeover at Sheffield Wednesday.

Sports-mad Mallett has stakes in Vancouver Whitecaps, who are chasing a place in the American MLS, and San Francisco Giants baseball team.

Mallett played football and baseball before becoming a leading businessman and former president of internet company Yahoo.

His companies also have links with Derby County behind the scenes, but now he is looking at buying a big chunk of Championship outfit Wednesday.

Mallett has been in contact with one of the leading shareholders at Hillsborough and is seriously considering taking a big interest in the Owls, who have been up for sale for over a year.

The discussions are at an early stage, but Mallett is a ''go-getter'' and sources close to him say that he could do something quite quickly. There have been no figures mentioned, but he has the cash to buy a stake and help out the team.

[/quote]

If that doesn''t work here is another Championship club up for sale:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8075713.stm

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Alan Nixon

Canadian multi-millionaire Jeff Mallett is looking into a takeover at Sheffield Wednesday.

Sports-mad Mallett has stakes in Vancouver Whitecaps, who are chasing a place in the American MLS, and San Francisco Giants baseball team.

Mallett played football and baseball before becoming a leading businessman and former president of internet company Yahoo.

His companies also have links with Derby County behind the scenes, but now he is looking at buying a big chunk of Championship outfit Wednesday.

Mallett has been in contact with one of the leading shareholders at Hillsborough and is seriously considering taking a big interest in the Owls, who have been up for sale for over a year.

The discussions are at an early stage, but Mallett is a ''go-getter'' and sources close to him say that he could do something quite quickly. There have been no figures mentioned, but he has the cash to buy a stake and help out the team.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I havent bothered to click the link, since it tells me that its Newcastel in the URL......... but Mike Ashley is a  bit of a c*ck aint he?

Spent about £300m on the club, gets them relegated, and then sacks 120 staff who earnt per year half of what Michael Owen has been taking for 10 games a year.

Makes me proud to be a city fan, and thats saying something.

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

Alan Nixon

[/quote]

[/quote]

I havent bothered to click the link, since it tells me that its Newcastel in the URL......... but Mike Ashley is a  bit of a c*ck aint he?

Spent about £300m on the club, gets them relegated, and then sacks 120 staff who earnt per year half of what Michael Owen has been taking for 10 games a year.

Makes me proud to be a city fan, and thats saying something.

[/quote]

Thats half of owens salary collectively of course.

If only we hadn''t been relegated and if only Doomy hadn''t walked the plank he would have been able to tell us that at least we were not as badly off as Newcastle and just for once I''d have believed him.Look at their wage bill.

WHO WILL GO AND WHO WILL STAY?

WORTH KEEPING:

NICKY BUTT £60,000 a week — a leader who will be needed.

STEVEN TAYLOR £40,000 — a proud Geordie who will want to make amends.

DANNY GUTHRIE £40,000 — will do well in Championship.

SHOLA AMEOBI £40,000 — Football League is his level.

STEVE HARPER £30,000 — deserves a run as No 1.

RYAN TAYLOR £30,000 — should pick up in lower level.

ON THEIR WAY:

MICHAEL OWEN £105,000 — out of contract, needs a new club.

DAMIEN DUFF £70,000 — says he wants to stay (yeah, right).

OBAFEMI MARTINS £70,000 — on the first plane out of Tyneside, never to beseen again.

ALAN SMITH £60,000 — strangely has a list of clubs who want him.

MARK VIDUKA £60,000 — Aussie beaches beckon.

GEREMI £60,000 — odds on for a Turkish club who need a 40-plus player.

£50,000 — cost £5.6m but no use now.

HABIB BEYE £50,000 — one of few to leave with integrity intact.

IGNACIO GONZALEZ £50,000 — who indeed?

CACAPA £40,000 — one of the worst Brazilians ever.

SEBASTIEN BASSONG £30,000 — one of Newcastle’s few assets.

PETER LOVENKRANDS £20,000 — brief loan spell to end.

KEVIN NOLAN £50,000 — January signing which backfired.

HARD TO SHIFT:

JOEY BARTON £60,000 — who would be mad enough to buy him?

JOSE ENRIQUE £60,000 — cost £6m, which was £6m too much.

FABRICIO COLOCCINI £60,000 — he was frighteningly bad.

XISCO £50,000 — an expensive flop.

Frankly any club that pays too much for shite players and then pays said players too much as well, deserves everything they get.

I wouldn''t bet against Newcastle going into administration very quickly.

Well she did ask Keith Harris to see if he could try and find an investor.  He''s busy right now.  He''s in Newcastle.

I suppose if I were being mischievous I could say "another championship club loses that elusive investment" (i.e. Derby County).

I''m not suprised that story about Sheffield Wednesday has broken - I''m sure that I read this week about their majority shareholder or benefactor taking an interest in another club (normally not allowed) but the League had given him some sort of dispensation. Presumably the Sheffield Wednesday news was the reason.

WHO WILL GO AND WHO WILL STAY?

WORTH KEEPING:

NICKY BUTT £60,000 a week — a leader who will be needed.

STEVEN TAYLOR £40,000 — a proud Geordie who will want to make amends.

DANNY GUTHRIE £40,000 — will do well in Championship.

SHOLA AMEOBI £40,000 — Football League is his level.

STEVE HARPER £30,000 — deserves a run as No 1.

RYAN TAYLOR £30,000 — should pick up in lower level.

ON THEIR WAY:

MICHAEL OWEN £105,000 — out of contract, needs a new club.

DAMIEN DUFF £70,000 — says he wants to stay (yeah, right).

OBAFEMI MARTINS £70,000 — on the first plane out of Tyneside, never to be seen again

ALAN SMITH £60,000 — strangely has a list of clubs who want him.

MARK VIDUKA £60,000 — Aussie beaches beckon.

GEREMI £60,000 — odds on for a Turkish club who need a 40-plus player.

JONAS GUTIERREZ £50,000 — cost £5.6m but no use now.

HABIB BEYE £50,000 — one of few to leave with integrity intact.

IGNACIO GONZALEZ £50,000 — who indeed?

CACAPA £40,000 — one of the worst Brazilians ever.

SEBASTIEN BASSONG £30,000 — one of Newcastle’s few assets.

PETER LOVENKRANDS £20,000 — brief loan spell to end.

KEVIN NOLAN £50,000 — January signing which backfired.

HARD TO SHIFT:

JOEY BARTON £60,000 — who would be mad enough to buy him?

JOSE ENRIQUE £60,000 — cost £6m, which was £6m too much.

FABRICIO COLOCCINI £60,000 — he was frighteningly bad.

XISCO £50,000 — an expensive flop.

Went through the gutierrez posts to see what had been said before.

Came across this interesting part.

Who did the get wrong then? Enrique and Coloccini stand out massively. Enrique is worth double that now, and Coloccini has massively improved back to the player he was before he joined. Barton stayed and was influential, as was Nolan and here''s where Gutierrez comes in. He stayed and was also instrumental in getting them back up and staying in the prem.