Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Its starting already

I note today we have been hit with not one but two "money doesn''t grow on trees" articles, notably the one from Gunn insinuating we can''t afford Shackell and Lee now we''ve been relegated. Thank god he still at least thinks we are still attractive to many players or i think i would have given up!

Firstly I don''t think I have spoken to a single fan who thinks or expects us to sign Shackell now we are in league 1 so why he''s harping on about that I don''t know. Lee however is a different kettle of fish given his public comments.

My main point though is we are already seeing a subtle downscaling of expectations. We''ve already heard MWJ saying we will have a budget "appropriate" to League 1. now Gunn today and no doubt this is a pre-cursor to the announcement that if we all claim our rebate we won''t be able to afford anything.

Well this summer I don''t want to hear it. i don''t want to hear how we can''t compete with Leeds or MK Dons in the transfer market. I want to hear my club say that with our season ticket sales we should be abel to support a wage bill that gives us an edge over the rest of League 1 and that we will be doing all we can to assemble a quility squad at this level. i don''t want to see the entire squad dismatntled and replaced with kids. i want su to make 2 or 3 decent signings that make a statement of intent, I want us to keep a couple of our higher profile players and mix these guys in with the kids to give  blend of youth and experience. And more than anything else I don''t want any excuses. This is League f**king 1. We ARE a big club at this level. I demand promotion. i expect nothing less than top 6 and I regard it as totally unacceptable if anyone at that club is thinking about anything less!

Jim, you forgot to mention C*ll*mgate! How can you expect me to disagree with you if you don''t mention the unmentionable!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I note today we have been hit with not one but two "money doesn''t grow on trees" articles, notably the one from Gunn insinuating we can''t afford Shackell and Lee now we''ve been relegated. Thank god he still at least thinks we are still attractive to many players or i think i would have given up!

Firstly I don''t think I have spoken to a single fan who thinks or expects us to sign Shackell now we are in league 1 so why he''s harping on about that I don''t know. Lee however is a different kettle of fish given his public comments.

My main point though is we are already seeing a subtle downscaling of expectations. We''ve already heard MWJ saying we will have a budget "appropriate" to League 1. now Gunn today and no doubt this is a pre-cursor to the announcement that if we all claim our rebate we won''t be able to afford anything.

Well this summer I don''t want to hear it. i don''t want to hear how we can''t compete with Leeds or MK Dons in the transfer market. I want to hear my club say that with our season ticket sales we should be abel to support a wage bill that gives us an edge over the rest of League 1 and that we will be doing all we can to assemble a quility squad at this level. i don''t want to see the entire squad dismatntled and replaced with kids. i want su to make 2 or 3 decent signings that make a statement of intent, I want us to keep a couple of our higher profile players and mix these guys in with the kids to give  blend of youth and experience. And more than anything else I don''t want any excuses. This is League f**king 1. We ARE a big club at this level. I demand promotion. i expect nothing less than top 6 and I regard it as totally unacceptable if anyone at that club is thinking about anything less!

[/quote]

Very well said! but this just sum''s up the shyt we are in! It''s a disgrace the way this hand muppet is talking, Gunn needs to have inch of optimism, it wouldnt hurt!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]Top post i agree with all of that, they should do and spend whatever it takes to get us out of this league at the first attempt, anything else is a disgrace!!!

agreed jim , shacks and lee are decent championship players , of which you need to build a club round , and who have more quality about them to do very well in leauge one .

with the likes of hoolihan more than like;y going , croft marshall , etc , we are not putting the foundations down .

history is repeating itself again , how much more do we have to take .

the funds we get from sales of players( mentioned above) would have paid for both players , instead we will lose them and not use the money to fund players who want to play for us , and could stand out next season .

still the same sham mistakes being made

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Haven''t they told us that we have had a Championship budget "appropriate" to the Championship the last few years when we have had one that has been fit for League 1 (at best)?

I expect this means that we will have a transfer budget that might be good enough to get you in the League 2 play-offs if we are very lucky indeed.

Totally agree. Top six is the minimum for next season and I want to see the board change their stance of the last 4 years and show some ambition. The board need to set out clear objectives for the season to send out a message out to the current and future players of the club that mid table mediocrity will simply not do. The board need to show they have the stomach for the fight instead of the negative and gloomy outlooks they usually pronounce.We need leadership from the top but I''m sceptical if we are going to get it.

Assuming the club is smart enough to unload the high earning useless bums that got us relegated & keep the lower earning grafters our income streams far outstrip anyone else in Division 3 and our outgoings woudl be vastly reduced. Therefore we should be as attractive, if not more so, a destination for any would 3rd division player. 

[quote user="Ankles50"]

Assuming the club is smart enough to unload the high earning useless bums that got us relegated & keep the lower earning grafters our income streams far outstrip anyone else in Division 3 and our outgoings woudl be vastly reduced. Therefore we should be as attractive, if not more so, a destination for any would 3rd division player. 

[/quote]

ankles youll get a nose bleed on here! you still in thailand?

[quote user="steve o"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]Top post i agree with all of that, they should do and spend whatever it takes to get us out of this league at the first attempt, anything else is a disgrace!!![/quote]

I think we have to accept that we can''t spend "whatever it takes" and we have to accept some players on big wages will move on but I would like to see us at least make an effort to keep a player like Hoolahan who at this level is a matchwinner. I think a front 2 of Cody and Lee would be a real handful and would like to see us push the boat out to get Lee in this summer. Added to that I would like to see us keep the likes of the Doc and Russell and going for, and beating, our competitors in this division to the signature of some players this summer to send out a message. Even if we half our wage bill from last season I bet it will still be one of the largest in league 1.

I know Russell had a poor season last year but I think a spine of Doc, Russell and Lee has a bit of steel about it and is something we can build around.

what they will do is take the money for sale of hoolihan , marshall clingan  to cover some of the losses of relegation .

bring in some youth players , a couple of freebies and a couple of loan players .

and so the trend of decline continues  ...

Well, I will be remortgaging my house and selling my children into white slavery to provide some transfer funds and to prove that I''m a true supporter like LQ!

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="Ankles50"]

[/quote]

ankles youll get a nose bleed on here! you still in thailand?
[/quote]

No, still got offices out there but back here for the moment.

I just find it incredible to hear the likes of Fotheringham, signed from a Swiss club where wages are not renounds as excessive would be offered anything more a 2-3k a week contract, subject to which rumour you listen too it''s 2 or 3 times that.  Same as several other lower end Championship talent players, why were we unable to negotiate market rates, the spend on salaries confirms how weak we have been in this area

I agree that very few of us expected Shackell to stay ... but given Lee''s ''come and get me'' type plea I had lingering hopes that a deal could be struck. However Gunny, who ... as pointed out on another thread ... is giving Doomcaster a run for his money when it comes it delivering bad news, has now appeared pulled the rug from under any possible deal!

It really is hard to take in quite how deep we are in the brown stuff. As every day post relegation goes by there appears to be more and more bad news eminating from that lot in charge.

How utterly utterly depressing ... I''ve never before been so resigned to failure.

Yes before he was confirmed in the job it was im the man to lead us back to the Championship, now all of a sudden he doesnt sound so confident and its all about money that we dont have . Is anybody really that surprised though he always was going to be Delias puppet , if i was you Gunn i would walk away before you make an even bigger arse of yourself.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="steve o"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]Top post i agree with all of that, they should do and spend whatever it takes to get us out of this league at the first attempt, anything else is a disgrace!!![/quote]

I think we have to accept that we can''t spend "whatever it takes" and we have to accept some players on big wages will move on but I would like to see us at least make an effort to keep a player like Hoolahan who at this level is a matchwinner. I think a front 2 of Cody and Lee would be a real handful and would like to see us push the boat out to get Lee in this summer. Added to that I would like to see us keep the likes of the Doc and Russell and going for, and beating, our competitors in this division to the signature of some players this summer to send out a message. Even if we half our wage bill from last season I bet it will still be one of the largest in league 1.

I know Russell had a poor season last year but I think a spine of Doc, Russell and Lee has a bit of steel about it and is something we can build around.

[/quote]when i say whatever it takes i mean by getting the best league 1 players that we can, i know we dont have a lot but i wont accept them coming out and saying that we can''t compete leeds mk dons and stockport, or similar clubs who have been into administration recently

Oh for goodness sake Beauseant, I''m not a better fan than you and you''re not a better fan than me - we''re both just fans, like everyone else on this forum. We all have opinions and this virtual place exists purely so we can air them. What would be better? A message board where everyone just said "great post mate!![:D]" all the time?Yesterday you called my honesty into question regarding the NCISA meeting and me apparently casting it as a mob. You were unable to back up your remarks. Can we just leave it at that or do you think everyone else on here is interested enough in sly jibes?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]With this article, are the club talking to fans, or agents ?
[/quote]

Oh here we go... the old "We can''t allow details of how much money (we don''t) have to spend to get out"

I don''t see why they would think of releasing such statements for the agents?   The agents do not want to talk to NCFC even when they are invited up here to discuss a players terms these days.  The agents are not stupid and obviously do not fancy a trip out to Norwich only for another club to better the laughable offer we have made to a player.

Players agents only want to visit Norwich when their are no other offers for a player on the table.  This is why we have a team of players that few other teams have shown an interest in.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]Yes before he was confirmed in the job it was im the man to lead us back to the Championship, now all of a sudden he doesnt sound so confident and its all about money that we dont have . Is anybody really that surprised though he always was going to be Delias puppet , if i was you Gunn i would walk away before you make an even bigger arse of yourself.
[/quote]

Spot on Loan City FC... Bryan Gunn is making himself out to look an absolute tit!  [Y]

The NCISA with their lets back Gunny even though we do not agree with him being manager are making themselves look very silly when they should be acting as leaders too.

Top post.  We should make a statement of intent - we should be talking up winning the division and trying to assemle/retain a squad to achieve it.  But no, the "we cant compete" nonsense has started already.Norwich City has been run into the ground and its a total disgrace.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

I''m resigned to freebies and there''s nothing wrong with them but just once - please - can the club get out of the blocks as fast as everyone else instead of dithering for that months-worth of saved wage. Every season there are some quality players released that we always miss out on.

Also I think this is the year to be looking at the SPL in terms of buying players

Wake up and smell the coffee.

We''re in Div 3 (old money). Our wage spending was top 3 of Div 2 and two clubs who were in the bottom of the spending league were in the play offs (Preston & Burnley). We''ve been chucking salary at premadonna''s for too long. We''re not ''on loan from the premier league'' etc etc. Just a bunch of big time charlies.

We need Alan Lee, he sweat blood at Charlton unlike 9 others. He is the mix of experience we need - remember Mick Channon in 1985..Anyone prepared to play at this level is worth a punt.

[quote user="Smudger"]

The NCISA with their lets back Gunny even though we do not agree with him being manager are making themselves look very silly when they should be acting as leaders too.

[/quote]

Did you expect anything else Smudger? they''ve always made the right noises, but...................