Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

happy clappers - it all started....

when we got promoted to the prem. do you guys agree??

without being too harsh, i prefered the atmosphere in the mid 90''s when the stadium was half full, 15000 max but EVERYONE (except river end) was there singing 15 different songs. some of these HC fans wouldnt know any of the old songs which now only rarely come out at away matches!!

CTID OTBC

I guess some of the younger fans don''t know the songs you sang in the mid-nineties but in turn you probably don''t know the songs we sang in the 60''s and 70''s. I wouldn''t say it was better back then though, just different as time moves on. Of course it''s also true that there are some new fans of all age groups as our gates are much bigger than the mid-nineties.

My first home game was 1967 when there were 42,000 in Carow Road. My last home game was Reading when there were just 25,000 so I guess somewhere in the intervening 42 years we have LOST 17,000 Happy Clappers.

Yeah - damn those extra 10,000 fans with their £300 odd quid a year.Better off without them I say!(yes, I am being sarcastic...)I can easily recall matches when the atmosphere you pine for was less than ''alive'' during the 90s. It''s nostalgia I''m afraid and personally I''m glad of the extra money that''s been coming in.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I guess some of the younger fans don''t know the songs you sang in the mid-nineties but in turn you probably don''t know the songs we sang in the 60''s and 70''s. I wouldn''t say it was better back then though, just different as time moves on. Of course it''s also true that there are some new fans of all age groups as our gates are much bigger than the mid-nineties.

My first home game was 1967 when there were 42,000 in Carow Road. My last home game was Reading when there were just 25,000 so I guess somewhere in the intervening 42 years we have LOST 17,000 Happy Clappers.

[/quote]

That''s the trouble with you newbies[:D]

We lost 30,000 "fans" and replaced them a different type of "fan", who in turn will leave when the true horror of Div 3 strikes[:''(]

We will be lucky to be getting a third of your first game crowd but at least there will be elbow room and we will all be true fans, whatever that is!

I was a fickle fan back then Butler. Like those 30,000 others. The next Saturday only 13,000 turned up for Blackburn, most of us ''glory boys'' stayed in to watch the wrestling.

I agree about the atmosphere in the 80''s and 90''s being much better... I think it''s due to the fact that football doesn''t live among supporters like it used to... I miss the players on the field really giving their all for their club... You don''t find that a lot anymore, do you?

But, although I really feel down about City now, I will always be a supporter ... whatever happens...

I don''t mean supporters not being passionate, I mean young fans choosing the easy way out and watching MAN U, Arse-enal, Chelsea etc... on Telly

[quote user="First Wizard"]I look back to 1957 and it was so much better in those days..........we had great players back then and proper supporters![/quote]

Proper supporters hey? When did you change from a proper supporter to a whinging non attendee?

[quote user="First Wizard"]I look back to 1957 and it was so much better in those days..........we had great players back then and proper supporters![/quote]

A proper supporter, hey? When did you transform from a proper fan into a whinging non attendee?

How very elitist of you. I''m sure Mr Keane down the road would enjoy your views.

My opinion is that if you pay your money, you''re entitled to react how you like. If you don''t want to sing, don''t sing. If you want to sing and shout, then do so. The biggest problem we seem to have is some fans belieiving they''re better or more important because they sing and shout their mouths off on the internet eve

My parents for example, are season ticket holders and go to a few away games per season and have some shares. They don''t aren''t particularly pro or anti board. Does this make them ''happy clappers''? Their demographic makes up our majority support imo.

I take it by happy clappers you are referring to the people who dont agree with your views about the club.  I have been called a happy clapper in the last week or so and I have been going since 1985.

nutless nigel - [quote]I wouldn''t say it was better back then though[/quote]

What a load of squit, of course it was better ''then'', and it has nothing to do with being older & nostalgic. Football in general was better ''then'' and that''s based on fact - it was a game, fundamentally, for the working-classes, when man & boy both played and spectated because of their love for the game.People of your ilk have been brainwashed into believing everything is rosy in the English garden by years of overly liberal politics and media, and it''s damn frustrating to see older generations accepting the doctrines as easily as the ''lost'' youth of today - the latter have an excuse for being indoctrinated; they''ve had lefty ideals shoved down their throats right through the system - from infant school to university the poor sods have had bearded hippies and lesbians with s*it for brains preaching to them that the white Englishman is nasty and that further generations should all serve some form of penance for their ''terrible'' infractions in the past.You have no such an excuse, nutless, so wise up.

[:)] Shyster, that made made me chuckle! There''s nothing funnier than old people ranting about the good old days & how the youth of today don''t know they''re born etc...!!  

[quote user="shyster"]nutless nigel - [quote]I wouldn''t say it was better back then though[/quote]

.. bearded hippies and lesbians with s*it for brains preaching to them that the white Englishman is nasty and that further generations should all serve some form of penance for their ''terrible'' infractions in the past.

You have no such an excuse, nutless, so wise up.
[/quote]

What''s so wrong with lesbians? [:$]

[:)] Shyster, that made made me chuckle! There''s nothing funnier than old people ranting about the good old days & how the youth of today don''t know they''re born etc...!!  

[quote user="shyster"]nutless nigel - [quote]I wouldn''t say it was better back then though[/quote]

What a load of squit, of course it was better ''then'', and it has nothing to do with being older & nostalgic. Football in general was better ''then'' and that''s based on fact - it was a game, fundamentally, for the working-classes, when man & boy both played and spectated because of their love for the game.

People of your ilk have been brainwashed into believing everything is rosy in the English garden by years of overly liberal politics and media, and it''s damn frustrating to see older generations accepting the doctrines as easily as the ''lost'' youth of today - the latter have an excuse for being indoctrinated; they''ve had lefty ideals shoved down their throats right through the system - from infant school to university the poor sods have had bearded hippies and lesbians with s*it for brains preaching to them that the white Englishman is nasty and that further generations should all serve some form of penance for their ''terrible'' infractions in the past.

[/quote]

[Y] Post of the week goes to Shyster

Iwan is God? When you see the following message:

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is

currently unavailable.  Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web

browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note:

An error message detailing the cause of this specific request

failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.

Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to

occur.

To save multiple posting, don''t hit the ''post'' button again, just click on the ''back'' button and you''ll see that your post has gone through.

Just a few observations,  I do understand where the OP is coming from, Carrow Road does lack something these days but that’s not the whole tale.

Whilst attendances in the mid nineties were undoubtedly far lower than today under the regime of Honest Bob it was always hard to tell what the actual gate was.  Of course this can lead to all sorts of libellous accusations but I remember plenty of games where the given gate was way lower than the numbers of people in the ground, rumour has it somebody went  to collect the gate money up themselves.  Allegedly of course.

We are awash with sheep tickets these days which is all well and good and is something that has been mentioned in recent weeks around the whole Turner Gate debacle, I would happily pay more to watch something a bit better.  The decision to buy another set of season tickets does not come down to the last few quid and I genuinely believe that we have suffered from ‘pile em high n’ sell em cheep’ in recent years.

Going back in time, the loss of standing has indeed sanitised the game in general but on the other hand there are many more families attending these days which is good but the trouble is I first went in 1975 and spent most of my afternoons as a young lad watching the fighting in the Barclay than watching the game, happy days!

The success of Worthington undoubtedly brought supporters back to the game both old and new, having listened to some of the utter s—t being pedalled by some of them who know sweet Fanny Adams about our club or the game in general does really make you wonder at times.

To the woman with the irritatingly squeaky voice who sits behind me, I really hope you don’t renew, you know nothing of our club, you know nothing of the game and an empty seat would be infinitely preferable to another season of listening to your mindless drivel.  Furthermore, this view is shared by everybody else that has to sit near you. 

Rant over!

[quote user="Bury Green"]

Just a few observations,  I do understand where the OP is coming from, Carrow Road does lack something these days but that’s not the whole tale.

Whilst attendances in the mid nineties were undoubtedly far lower than today under the regime of Honest Bob it was always hard to tell what the actual gate was.  Of course this can lead to all sorts of libellous accusations but I remember plenty of games where the given gate was way lower than the numbers of people in the ground, rumour has it somebody went  to collect the gate money up themselves.  Allegedly of course.

We are awash with sheep tickets these days which is all well and good and is something that has been mentioned in recent weeks around the whole Turner Gate debacle, I would happily pay more to watch something a bit better.  The decision to buy another set of season tickets does not come down to the last few quid and I genuinely believe that we have suffered from ‘pile em high n’ sell em cheep’ in recent years.

Going back in time, the loss of standing has indeed sanitised the game in general but on the other hand there are many more families attending these days which is good but the trouble is I first went in 1975 and spent most of my afternoons as a young lad watching the fighting in the Barclay than watching the game, happy days!

The success of Worthington undoubtedly brought supporters back to the game both old and new, having listened to some of the utter s—t being pedalled by some of them who know sweet Fanny Adams about our club or the game in general does really make you wonder at times.

To the woman with the irritatingly squeaky voice who sits behind me, I really hope you don’t renew, you know nothing of our club, you know nothing of the game and an empty seat would be infinitely preferable to another season of listening to your mindless drivel.  Furthermore, this view is shared by everybody else that has to sit near you. 

Rant over!

[/quote]

I can also remember many times when the gate was given higher as they always counted tickets sold rather than people in.

The collection at the turnstiles was more often than not to give to the caterers at the time, so that they could at least cover the vat outlay they had made!!

Oh happy days. The football was more entertaining(mostly) as well.

What a load of squit, of course it was better ''then'', and it has nothing to do with being older & nostalgic. Football in general was better ''then'' and that''s based on fact - it was a game, fundamentally, for the working-classes, when man & boy both played and spectated because of their love for the game.People of your ilk have been brainwashed into believing everything is rosy in the English garden by years of overly liberal politics and media, and it''s damn frustrating to see older generations accepting the doctrines as easily as the ''lost'' youth of today - the latter have an excuse for being indoctrinated; they''ve had lefty ideals shoved down their throats right through the system - from infant school to university the poor sods have had bearded hippies and lesbians with s*it for brains preaching to them that the white Englishman is nasty and that further generations should all serve some form of penance for their ''terrible'' infractions in the past.You have no such an excuse, nutless, so wise up.[/quote]Papping on about the working classes and then slag off "lefties" with all the wit and understanding of a infant. You''ll be voting for the Eton boys-club of the Tories will you? Think they care about the working classes? Or is it the BNP for you, those defenders of your democratic rights? Or maybe it''s not democracy you care about, just white Englishmen.

Yes wiz and only cost 4 and a tanner to get in, stand where you like, wrap your scalf round the barrier so not to hurt elbows when you tean on it, and avoid the hard metal in the suden surge forward, Oh yes those were the days. And the best thing was (NO DELIA)    

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="shyster"]nutless nigel - [quote]I wouldn''t say it was better back then though[/quote]

What a load of squit, of course it was better ''then'', and it has nothing to do with being older & nostalgic. Football in general was better ''then'' and that''s based on fact - it was a game, fundamentally, for the working-classes, when man & boy both played and spectated because of their love for the game.People of your ilk have been brainwashed into believing everything is rosy in the English garden by years of overly liberal politics and media, and it''s damn frustrating to see older generations accepting the doctrines as easily as the ''lost'' youth of today - the latter have an excuse for being indoctrinated; they''ve had lefty ideals shoved down their throats right through the system - from infant school to university the poor sods have had bearded hippies and lesbians with s*it for brains preaching to them that the white Englishman is nasty and that further generations should all serve some form of penance for their ''terrible'' infractions in the past.You have no such an excuse, nutless, so wise up.[/quote]Papping on about the working classes and then slag off "lefties" with all the wit and understanding of a infant. You''ll be voting for the Eton boys-club of the Tories will you? Think they care about the working classes? Or is it the BNP for you, those defenders of your democratic rights? Or maybe it''s not democracy you care about, just white Englishmen. [/quote]

It''s more to do with how politics affect the classes, you blithering tool -- if you seriously believe that Labour & left-wing policies have EVER benefited the working-class in this country, then you are as clearly deluded as nutless nigella.Remember this quote, SHat, and remember it well - ''You don''t make a poor man rich by making a rich man poor.''Comprehende?

[quote user="shyster"][quote user="SPat"][quote user="shyster"]nutless nigel - [quote]I wouldn''t say it was better back then though[/quote]

What a load of squit, of course it was better ''then'', and it has nothing to do with being older & nostalgic. Football in general was better ''then'' and that''s based on fact - it was a game, fundamentally, for the working-classes, when man & boy both played and spectated because of their love for the game.People of your ilk have been brainwashed into believing everything is rosy in the English garden by years of overly liberal politics and media, and it''s damn frustrating to see older generations accepting the doctrines as easily as the ''lost'' youth of today - the latter have an excuse for being indoctrinated; they''ve had lefty ideals shoved down their throats right through the system - from infant school to university the poor sods have had bearded hippies and lesbians with s*it for brains preaching to them that the white Englishman is nasty and that further generations should all serve some form of penance for their ''terrible'' infractions in the past.You have no such an excuse, nutless, so wise up.[/quote]Papping on about the working classes and then slag off "lefties" with all the wit and understanding of a infant. You''ll be voting for the Eton boys-club of the Tories will you? Think they care about the working classes? Or is it the BNP for you, those defenders of your democratic rights? Or maybe it''s not democracy you care about, just white Englishmen. [/quote]

It''s more to do with how politics affect the classes, you blithering tool -- if you seriously believe that Labour & left-wing policies have EVER benefited the working-class in this country, then you are as clearly deluded as nutless nigella.Remember this quote, SHat, and remember it well - ''You don''t make a poor man rich by making a rich man poor.''Comprehende? [/quote]You really are a cretin aren''t you SHYTster. I see you''re incapable of answering the question, BNP or UKIP or Tories  for you? You think the Tories will or have ever helped the working classes? You''ve clearly not noticed the improvements of the average standard of living in this country. Was it not "leftie" policies that created the NHS, minimum wage and protected working people with the union movement.  

[quote user="Smudger"]

What a load of squit, of course it was better ''then'', and it has nothing to do with being older & nostalgic. Football in general was better ''then'' and that''s based on fact - it was a game, fundamentally, for the working-classes, when man & boy both played and spectated because of their love for the game.

People of your ilk have been brainwashed into believing everything is rosy in the English garden by years of overly liberal politics and media, and it''s damn frustrating to see older generations accepting the doctrines as easily as the ''lost'' youth of today - the latter have an excuse for being indoctrinated; they''ve had lefty ideals shoved down their throats right through the system - from infant school to university the poor sods have had bearded hippies and lesbians with s*it for brains preaching to them that the white Englishman is nasty and that further generations should all serve some form of penance for their ''terrible'' infractions in the past.

[/quote]

[Y] Post of the week goes to Shyster

[/quote]

You isolate a part of my post and fit it around your own agenda Shytehead. Yer pal Smudger dives in to agree with points you made that he has absolutely no experience of whatsoever.

Was it better back in the 60''s? Was what better? The football? Most certainly not. But we enjoyed it just the same, if not more. We were closer to it then and identified more with it. But that''s the same as most things in life. Back in ''67 when I went to my first game kids lives were different. At school sides would be picked in the mornings and a free-for-all game of football would be played at every opportunity throughout the day. Home life was different too, we''d go out and return much as we liked during the day. Our parents would never know exactly where we were. At the age of 10 or 11 we''d get the bus and go to the football without adult supervision. I didn''t come to any harm but I had some close shaves. It was all part of growing up though. Kids now are protected much more, they have different interests, different expectations and I doubt they''d accept the world we lived in and were happy in back then.

England won the World Cup the previous year. I watched a lot of it on TV with my Nan. We loved those players, but we felt a lot closer to them than youngsters do to Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard etc. Who remembers this advert from the 60''s? A World Cup winning captain championing going down the pub? Whatever next! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuTgbrR71RA 

As a kid I thought England would always win the World Cup. When Germany beat us in 1970 I cried. It was impossible, I''d never contemplated it could happen. I thought we''d win the World Cup forever. Supporting Norwich we learned to accept defeat but then we had never been anywhere near the top division. When it happened for us in the 70''s it was awesome. And we ended up signing Martin Peters, my hero from wayback and a former England captain who had scored in a World Cup Final. (And been on that advert!) It doesn''t get much better than that! Imagine England winning the World Cup in 1998 with Beckham scoring in the final and then seeing him sign for Norwich 9 years later in the Championship. That was the modern day equivalent of Bond signing Peters.

But let''s not kid ourselves that everything was better. The late 70''s and 80''s were violence ridden days that could well have seen the death of the game in this country. The fences put up and the ridiculous treatment of football fans by Thatchers government made it worse. In my opinion anyone who is proud of the violence and fighting of those days needs help. (And it wasn''t just football but also the militancy in the workforce with the same governement going head to head with the trade unions - happy days? Yeah right!) Our game suffered as a consequence of all that. Yes on the  back of it came our own clubs greatest days and while I don''t want to devalue that in any way it has to be recognised that by the late 80''s  the standard of English football had dropped just as fast as the violence has escalated earlier in that decade. Creativity had left the game and was replaced by dull and uninspiring football. Players like Glenn Hoddle and Ian Crook were bright flowers in barren midfields. In fact the England midfield that saw the end of Graham Taylor in the early 90''s was Palmer, Platt, Webb and Sinton. Luckily the game had already started recovery by then and happier days lay ahead.

Today the game is so very different from that which I first watched in the 60''s. But it only reflects changes in life as a whole. Some changes are for the better and some , although for the right reasons, are not. However for a generation of youngsters starting out as City fans this century the experience is much different to that of other generations. These fans are the futurte of our club and deserve better than the scorn heaped on them by some posters on this message board.

[quote user="glove1"]

when we got promoted to the prem. do you guys agree??

without being too harsh, i prefered the atmosphere in the mid 90''s when the stadium was half full, 15000 max but EVERYONE (except river end) was there singing 15 different songs. some of these HC fans wouldnt know any of the old songs which now only rarely come out at away matches!!

CTID OTBC

[/quote]

Yeap!

[quote user="shyster"][quote user="SPat"][quote user="shyster"]nutless nigel - [quote]I wouldn''t say it was better back then though[/quote]

[/quote]

Papping on about the working classes and then slag off "lefties" with all the wit and understanding of a infant. You''ll be voting for the Eton boys-club of the Tories will you? Think they care about the working classes? Or is it the BNP for you, those defenders of your democratic rights? Or maybe it''s not democracy you care about, just white Englishmen.
[/quote]

It''s more to do with how politics affect the classes, you blithering tool -- if you seriously believe that Labour & left-wing policies have EVER benefited the working-class in this country, then you are as clearly deluded as nutless nigella.

Remember this quote, SHat, and remember it well - ''You don''t make a poor man rich by making a rich man poor.''

Comprehende?
[/quote]

Don''t you mean you don''t make a poor man richer by making a rich man richer?

Every single thing that makes this country worth living in was built by progressive lefties, shyster. Try jsutifying your rather trite and dumb quote to anyone from the Nordic countries where tax rates are higher, inequality is lower and living standards are higher.

[quote user="BigFish"]

Don''t you mean you don''t make a poor man richer by making a rich man richer?

Every single thing that makes this country worth living in was built by progressive lefties, shyster. Try jsutifying your rather trite and dumb quote to anyone from the Nordic countries where tax rates are higher, inequality is lower and living standards are higher.

[/quote]

I can''t believe you''ve risen to his moronic ramblings. The man is an idiot, who rested on his laurels when "Britian was great" and forgot to change while the rest of the world moved on. Now he''s floundering about, desperately clinging to former glories instead of concentrating on being glorious again.

Change is difficult for some people to accept. Particularly stupid people.

[/quote]

You make such sense Mr. Shyster.

There''s nothing worse than some senile old git who can''t accept that the young are the future and that he is the past. It runs through just about every word he splatters on this forum.

It''s those same kids who need to be given something worth watching NOW so that they in turn take their kids along when they are growing up. By "kids" I don''t mean the "wet the bed luvvies" either who get tailed along by their mums and dads when they really should have let go of the apron strings years before. There are way too many of them rubbernecking at Delia instread of concerning themselves about the standard of football on show.

It''s high time some of the older "wet the bed has-beens" stopped bleating and accepted their inability to relate to a younger generation. It''s odd that it''s only the old duffers who get on their bike when being "taunted".... as most of the youngsters aren''t so bloody paranoid.