Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

are we about to make another costly mistake ?

after seeing huckerbys interview yesterday , i must admit i had not thought of this untill he mentioned it , but he was right in what he was saying .

it worries me that once again the board are going to have a (hell with it ) attitude and we will field too many youngsters.

i dont think this thought had crossed thier mind , how the young players are going to deal with such a hard division, our main players would struggle with the change .

too many loan players killed us this season , of which had a few unproven players , some of which were young that really could not cut the mustard.

this really concerns me , as hucks said it could ruin them , and to be honest with no first team experience , or hardly any , i feel this is another body blow just waiting to happen .

surely common sense says you blood your youngsters in slowly , so they get used to the pace of the game , decent youngsters show glimpes of ability, but time and experience make a player as they learn from mistakes .

too many youngsters in a team is going to cause too many mistakes .

but i can see history repeating itself yet again , i hope to god im wrong .

It has crossed my mind, that''s why I cant abide the pillocks on here who are always shouting for us to "give youth a chance" and shows how little some fans actually know about the reality of the game .. Iit would destroy them and their confidence to be thrust into a long slogging L1 campaign without even a season of reserves football behind them.  If we field more than 3 or 4 kids next season in our first 11 we are in real trouble. Unless Gunny etc are in cuckoo land then I''m sure is has crossed their minds as well.

I would agree on that.  Also worried that Cody is getting so hyped that people will start to get on his back if he does not score a hattrick first game.

Funny how the cheap option often turns into an expensive mistake.

Couldn''t agree more.For me though the best insight in the (very good) Huckerby interview was when he was talking about potential roles here. The idea of him overseeing those who are above the Academy level but not quite at first team level was superb. He''s right - that step is exactly where we''ve lost so much potential over the years as, for one reason or another, young players find themselves going astray. Physically they may be men but mentally they''re boys and need that intermediate guidance to really make a career out of football at the highest possible level for them.

I like the changes they are looking to make at Derby, copying Cricket and Rugby in the creation of a performance sqaud to sit above the youth team but below the seniors.  Not sure that just throwing the young players into a reserve team filled out with disgruntled old pros unable to get a game in the firsts and people biding their time before leaving like Fozzy and Patty.

Think having Hucks overseeing that would be legendary.

Well if anyone knows what they''re talking about at that level, he does.Seems to me that the 16-21 year group is the one Hux is more comfortable with. They relate to him and he to them. It''d be a brilliant use of him as a resource (perhaps here on a playing contract even though his actual turn out for games may be very intermittent?) and not over expensive.You''re right about Derby too. It is the way forward as fewer and fewer youngsters are breaking into first team football across the board.

[quote user="rjwc22"]

I like the changes they are looking to make at Derby, copying Cricket and Rugby in the creation of a performance sqaud to sit above the youth team but below the seniors.  Not sure that just throwing the young players into a reserve team filled out with disgruntled old pros unable to get a game in the firsts and people biding their time before leaving like Fozzy and Patty.

Think having Hucks overseeing that would be legendary.

[/quote]

Norwich already have a development squad at youth level, for players who have potential but are not on academy terms (so technically below the academy).

Seems sensible that something like this could apply to the senior team.

Glenn Hoddle has a similar thing set up in Spain, basically a training camp for young pros who have been released by teams but carry on training together in a "club" type environment and some have moved back into the pro game in the lower leagues.

Could even be worth a look for some players for us next season?