Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

If you could have any past city player (at their best) back at the club for next year...

There are several for me... in order of preference:

1. David Phillips - adaptable, good on either wing or as full back. Pacey, good distribution [could actually cross a ball] and scored [some cracking goals] regularly to boot. Those of you crying over Lee Croft should dig out some old videos and see how Phillips used to play...

2. Ian Culverhouse - Semi-concious has made me miss the days when we had Culvers at right-back. He could of course also play as a centre-back/sweeper too - though to be honest just a decent, consistent defence full-stop would be a dream right now.  

3. Ian Crook - only Phil Mulryne has arguably come anywhere near Chippy on the creativity stakes since Crook finished as a player for us, in my opinion - and even then Mullers wasn''t even 10% the player Chippy was. However much we''ve been desperate for a creative midfielder the last few years, I''m not sure how much scope there will be for one in League One, however.

4. Ruel Fox - either on the wing or down the middle, Foxy would scare the life out of beefcake defenders in League One. [Just picture, if you can, Ruel Fox vs Doc in a one-on-one...] I wouldn''t be suprised if we need pace just as much (if not more) than we need big bruising attackers this coming season.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Tempted to go for Peters, Bruce or Sutton, but for me it has to be the genius that was Kevin Reeves.[/quote]

Yes - Reeves & Fash - a top class partnership. Reeves (an England International whilst at Norwich) was destined to replace Keegan in the national side and have a fantastic career after departing City for £1m aged just 22. Injury lead to retirement aged just 26. What a wonderful player - certainly one of the most talented we have ever had. Could turn defenders inside-out, great awareness & fantastic close control.

hugh curran , wasnt as good as i think probably but my hero and i always wanted the number ten on my back when playing for the school in the sixtys

Huckerby or Ruel so we could all shout RUUUUUUUUUUUUELLLLLLLLLL, in a raucous manner again.

Iwan Roberts.. single handedly kept us in this division in 1998 and 1999... you could always rely on Iwan when others would let us down...

he was one of those strikers that needed just 1 chance... sometimes all you get in a match is 1 chance and you need to score! i''d of put my house on Iwan coming to rescue us if he had been young enough to this season.

jas :)

[quote user="mrdi"]

3. Ian Crook - only Phil Mulryne has arguably come anywhere near Chippy on the creativity stakes since Crook finished as a player for us, in my opinion - and even then Mullers wasn''t even 10% the player Chippy was. However much we''ve been desperate for a creative midfielder the last few years, I''m not sure how much scope there will be for one in League One, however.

[/quote]Sorry, Mulryne did not come anywhere near Chippy. It would be Eadie or Huckerby for me - but they would probably get kicked to pieces.

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="mrdi"]

[/quote]Sorry, Mulryne did not come anywhere near Chippy. It would be Eadie or Huckerby for me - but they would probably get kicked to pieces.[/quote]Nice bit of selective highlighting [:)]

It really has to be Martin Peters, he was years ahead of his time, and he could calm down the team.Then there''s big dunc (Duncan Forbes) he wouldnt stand for people not pulling there weight

[quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="mrdi"]

[/quote]Sorry, Mulryne did not come anywhere near Chippy. It would be Eadie or Huckerby for me - but they would probably get kicked to pieces.[/quote]Nice bit of selective highlighting [:)][/quote]Yes sorry mrdi - I missed that.

Sutton or Ashton, probably Sutton shades it. Ashton was immense in that premiership run for us, and showed enough loyalty to stick around until the club decided we needed to sell him, Sutton was similar in that sense, but was a local lad too, always want the local lads to succeed.

[quote user="mrdi"]

There are several for me... in order of preference:

1. David Phillips - adaptable, good on either wing or as full back. Pacey, good distribution [could actually cross a ball] and scored [some cracking goals] regularly to boot. Those of you crying over Lee Croft should dig out some old videos and see how Phillips used to play...

2. Ian Culverhouse - Semi-concious has made me miss the days when we had Culvers at right-back. He could of course also play as a centre-back/sweeper too - though to be honest just a decent, consistent defence full-stop would be a dream right now.  

4. Ruel Fox - either on the wing or down the middle, Foxy would scare the life out of beefcake defenders in League One. [Just picture, if you can, Ruel Fox vs Doc in a one-on-one...] I wouldn''t be suprised if we need pace just as much (if not more) than we need big bruising attackers this coming season.

I would of said the same!! Still remember Phillips volley against Palace first year in the prem as if it was Yestereday

[/quote]

Perhaps, some of you are too young but Graham Paddon had a great career at West Ham and I''m surprised that more of you did not mention him? I thought that he was a fantastic, two footed, underated, midfielder.

Martin Peters was over the hill really, when he came to you but, if your talking about players when they were at their peak, then he has to be right up there. How many other clubs could say that on their books they had a player with a World cup winners medal who also scored in the final?

Andy.

quote user="Happyhammer/Andy

Perhaps, some of you are too young but Graham Paddon had a great career at West Ham and I''m surprised that more of you did not mention him? I thought that he was a fantastic, two footed, underated, midfielder.

Martin Peters was over the hill really, when he came to you but, if your talking about players when they were at their peak, then he has to be right up there. How many other clubs could say that on their books they had a player with a World cup winners medal who also scored in the final?

Andy.

quotethink it''s players at their peak while they played for us, i can only comment on Sutton era onwards though

Andy Hughes for me, best player ever !!!

No, seriously, it would be Iwan Roberts or  Huckerby for me, both great players