Sign in to follow this  
The Butler

New landmark

I was driving down Marlpit Lane early this morning when I noticed a large new eddyface had been erected near the bridge.

Sloping roof, prayer bells,shamrock incense the lot. Flowers strewn at it''s base and a pile of prayer mats left for the faithful.

I could not make out the whole enscription but looked like W       T       TON plus some other bits.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this new shrine could be?

[quote user="The Butler"]

I was driving down Marlpit Lane early this morning when I noticed a large new eddyface had been erected near the bridge.

Sloping roof, prayer bells,shamrock incense the lot. Flowers strewn at it''s base and a pile of prayer mats left for the faithful.

I could not make out the whole enscription but looked like W       T       TON plus some other bits.

[/quote]

You really should lay off those funny looking cigarettes..........[:P]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s the Nutty flavoured ones I can''t resist. Gives a whole new meaning to life!

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s the Nutty flavoured ones I can''t resist. Gives a whole new meaning to life!

[/quote]

I''m getting worried about you two. I think Mello''s getting jealous as he''s usually Nutty''s bickering partner!

Where it is Nutty should know all about it!!!

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

Did those other bits say ''best bitter?''

[quote user="1st Wazzock"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Did those other bits say ''best bitter?''

[/quote]

Probably as there is a link with good beer somewhere!

[/quote]Did Winterton fall into the sea at last?

You were very smart to drive down there early in the morning Butler my friend. But even so it would have been wise to phone me first for a pass. The natives don''t take kindly to you posh folk from the posh side of the river driving posh cars on their land. You risk an ambush if you are seen any later than the crack of lunch.

In Marlpit Lane there is a barman showing photographs
Of every punter he''s had the pleasure to know
And all the people that come and go
Stop and say hello

On the corner is a butler in his motorcar
The little children laugh at him behind his back
And the butler never wears a mac
In the pouring rain...
Very strange

Marlpit Lane is in my ears and in my eyes
There beneath the blue suburban skies
I sit, and meanwhile back

In Marlpit Lane the barman serves another customer
We see the butler sitting waiting for a gin
Then astrodyne rushes in
From the pouring rain...
Very strange

There beneath the blue suburban skies...
Marlpit Lane.

Was that a local duo Mister?

It''s interesting because I just booked a folk/rock band for our charity fun day in July.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s interesting because I just booked a folk/rock band for our charity fun day in July.

[/quote]

They were local but upped sticks in the 70s.  It won''t be them you''ve booked, but if the invite is open then I''m sure some of the Pups would love to come and say hello?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

They were local but upped sticks in the 70s.  It won''t be them you''ve booked, but if the invite is open then I''m sure some of the Pups would love to come and say hello?

[/quote]

No.. I didn''t think it was them. Was just intrested - maybe they played at The Jacquard Club in the 70''s.

The invite is open to all and I''ll somehow link to it from here nearer the time. 25th July is the Fun Day and 26th is the Proms Night. Both events are fundraisers for East Anglian Children''s Hospices[Y] http://www.each.org.uk/events/events_diary.htm

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]I''m really confused by this thread................ is there a translation?
[/quote]

That''s the trouble with you folk living up north not knowing local roads and locations.[;)]

There''s a little yellow idol

to the north of Marlpit lane

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Ah, very good!
My father was in a folk duo in the 1970s and recorded a song called "Sweetbriar Road"...

http://time-has-told-me.blogspot.com/2006/10/evensong-uk-folk-1973.html

[/quote]

I used to be in a duo, we were The Symbolics. My mate was Sym and I was on the drums. [;)]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]I''m really confused by this thread................ is there a translation?
[/quote]

That''s the trouble with you folk living up north not knowing local roads and locations.[;)]

[/quote]

I live up north but was brought up on Jex Road so I do know the local roads & locations (back just before easter) but I haven''t got a clue what you are on about! Please explain! I''d ring my mother to find out what this edifice is if she wasn''t on her hols.

[quote user="boltoncanary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I live up north but was brought up on Jex Road so I do know the local roads & locations (back just before easter) but I haven''t got a clue what you are on about! Please explain! I''d ring my mother to find out what this edifice is if she wasn''t on her hols.

[/quote]

Explanation of joke:-

Nutty Nigel lives in that vicinity, always supports errr Nigel Worthington err the mythical "Shrine" is dedicated to........

Are you following the plot so far...good

Wished I hadn''t bothered! Sorry all.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No.. I didn''t think it was them. Was just intrested - maybe they played at The Jacquard Club in the 70''s.

The invite is open to all and I''ll somehow link to it from here nearer the time. 25th July is the Fun Day and 26th is the Proms Night. Both events are fundraisers for East Anglian Children''s Hospices[Y] http://www.each.org.uk/events/events_diary.htm

[/quote]

Blimey, that''s the first mention on this messageboard I''ve seen for ''The Jacquard''.  What great memories I have of that place along with The Gala , Whites etc etc

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Blimey, that''s the first mention on this messageboard I''ve seen for ''The Jacquard''.  What great memories I have of that place along with The Gala , Whites etc etc

[/quote]

In the 60''s the downstairs club was great, as you still had the enthusiasm for folk music.The upstairs bar required the wearing of a "white polo neck shirt". No I never owned one!