Sign in to follow this  
Pinks

When we were relegated in 1985..

Look at the players who stayed..

Woods

Bruce

Watson

Deehan

I''m damn sure they could have found clubs and stayed on better cash. They hung around to get us back to the old 1st Division. They all left the next year.

Would be nice to see some of our current quad take responsibility for their own actions and help get us back in the Championship.

Reading Croft''s comments this week, he seems totally detached from the fact that he contributed to this relegation. Perhaps he feels that being Player of the Year absolves him from blame.

[quote user="Ween_Nasty"]

Woods

Bruce

Watson

Deehan

I''m damn sure they could have found clubs and stayed on better cash. They hung around to get us back to the old 1st Division. They all left the next year.

Would be nice to see some of our current quad take responsibility for their own actions and help get us back in the Championship.

Reading Croft''s comments this week, he seems totally detached from the fact that he contributed to this relegation. Perhaps he feels that being Player of the Year absolves him from blame.

[/quote]Bingo WNDo you not think if the rest of the squad played with the energy and committment that Croft showed all season that we wouldnt have gone down?

Energy and commitement or huffing and puffing.

I''m damn sure messrs Woods, Watson, Deehan and Bruce tried hard and lets face it I think they may have been very slightly more talented players than Mr Croft.

No. He was not good enough.

Energy and commitment are not a bonus. These basic attributes should be fully expected at all times, given the money these players have been paid.

A bit of skill would be nice. An end product even nicer.

[quote user="Ween_Nasty"]

Woods

Bruce

Watson

Deehan

[/quote]Does anyone know the average difference in wages between League 1/2/3 in 1985, vs. the Prem/Champ/League 1 this year? I''m guessing there is far more difference nowadays than there ever was back then. Still, I agree with your sentiments - players know they are effectively guaranteed a new club with phenomenal wages (compared to the average UK salary), so why should they give a toss? There''s only a few players I know of who put loyalty and responsibility before cash, one of which was let go last season...

[quote user="rjwc22"]Damn kids today have no sense of responsibility![/quote]Or culpability!

I remember watching a video or something, regarding the time Martin Peters signed for us.  Granted this maybe 10 odd years before 1985 but they did say literally the difference in City signing Martin Peters was £50 per week.Forward to 1985 pre Premiership wage differences (guessing) £200-£300?  Well within the means of a gamble with a support base.Forward again to now, the wage difference is so great you just can''t bridge the gap. I''ll stick my neck out and say IF Woods Watson and Co were playing today, they would nob off just as quick as the best of the rest of em.

They also had a bonus system in the 85-86 promotion year which gave them huge bonuses for getting consecutive wins...something like £100 for 1 win then £200 for the second , £300 for the third and so on. At one point they won 9 in a row and were on an absolute fortune (at that time)