Sign in to follow this  
Camuldonum

The absolutely original Lee Croft thread

"I tried to negotiate a contract for Lee 18 months ago but Mr Roeder said it was something he wanted to think about later.  No one from Norwich ever came back to us.  I did telephone Neil (D) but he said he had heard nothing from Glen and could not help us."

Thank the RAT!! That''s another half mill you''ve lost the club, you plonker!!

So instead of making sure his backside was covered before doing nothing I suppose the question this really raises is why the heck didn''t Doomy put on his Chief Executives hat and get on Roeders case?a) Because he was too busy on the internet answering emails?b) Because sensing a footballing disaster for this season the Club did not want to commit to any long term contracts for well paid players which would be likely to run past May 2009, after all they could always sack the manager and use him as a scapegoat?

[quote user="Buckethead"]So instead of making sure his backside was covered before doing nothing I suppose the question this really raises is why the heck didn''t Doomy put on his Chief Executives hat and get on Roeders case?a) Because he was too busy on the internet answering emails?b) Because sensing a footballing disaster for this season the Club did not want to commit to any long term contracts for well paid players which would be likely to run past May 2009, after all they could always sack the manager and use him as a scapegoat?[/quote]To be fair, I can''t really see b) being a realistic option 18 months ago when we were looking pretty safe for the following season. I guess the board actually do what they claim and let the manager run the club no strings attached.Clearly, only a good idea if the manager is proven.

Of course the agent could simply be lying? Or is that streak of common sense made redundant when an opportunity to slate Roeder or Doncaster presents itself? I would have thought us city fans would have learnt by now that agents spell trouble.

[quote user="Buckethead"]So instead of making sure his backside was covered before doing nothing I suppose the question this really raises is why the heck didn''t Doomy put on his Chief Executives hat and get on Roeders case?

a) Because he was too busy on the internet answering emails?

b) Because sensing a footballing disaster for this season the Club did not want to commit to any long term contracts for well paid players which would be likely to run past May 2009, after all they could always sack the manager and use him as a scapegoat?
[/quote]

c) Both gone now. But strangely I don''t get the feeling we are better off....

[quote user="ryan85k"]Of course the agent could simply be lying? Or is that streak of common sense made redundant when an opportunity to slate Roeder or Doncaster presents itself? I would have thought us city fans would have learnt by now that agents spell trouble.[/quote]

It is a fair comment but I don''t think he is lying.  Croft, if he is to be believed, is also on record as saying he tried to sort out the situation many months ago but was unable to do so.

What I would say is that I don''t think it is down to Doncaster to sort out the future of a player.  Managers manage or should do and any movement in that area must come from them.  Why the then Manager did not move on the matter is something none of us know.

Perhaps both felt they were being pressurised by an agent?  I do not know but for whatever reason the matter was not resolved with the result now known to all.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Buckethead"]So instead of making sure his backside was covered before doing nothing I suppose the question this really raises is why the heck didn''t Doomy put on his Chief Executives hat and get on Roeders case?

a) Because he was too busy on the internet answering emails?

b) Because sensing a footballing disaster for this season the Club did not want to commit to any long term contracts for well paid players which would be likely to run past May 2009, after all they could always sack the manager and use him as a scapegoat?
[/quote]

c) Both gone now. But strangely I don''t get the feeling we are better off....

[/quote]

Re c) People got the heads on poles they wanted though but in the case of GR and ND both kneejerk reactions without any forward thinking at all, so far as I can see.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]"I tried to negotiate a contract for Lee 18 months ago but Mr Roeder said it was something he wanted to think about later.  No one from Norwich ever came back to us.  I did telephone Neil (D) but he said he had heard nothing from Glen and could not help us."[/quote]

Probably asked for stupidly high wages, def thinks he is far better than he really is.....9 Goals, 12 Assists in 3 seasons, are really that badly off without him.....And as for a fee, dont think he would command that high a fee, nice squad filler if he costs nothing just not worth paying for.

And as for his poxy ''I have to leave'', he is one of 11 reasons we find ourselves in the position we are.  If he was any sort of man, and if it really isnt about the money, he would stay and help right a few wrongs....

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]

And as for his poxy ''I have to leave'', he is one of 11 reasons we find ourselves in the position we are.  If he was any sort of man, and if it really isnt about the money, he would stay and help right a few wrongs....

[/quote]But Carlos, you''ve just set out very succinctly why he wouldn''t be able to...

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Re c) People got the heads on poles they wanted though but in the case of GR and ND both kneejerk reactions without any forward thinking at all, so far as I can see.

[/quote]Well at least that has all stopped now. The NCISA have a clear strategy for the way forward at least. "Protest, do what we can to starve the club of funds and hope something turns up!"