Sign in to follow this  
ACE

ALAN LEE - A Reality Check

As some of you may have noticed its been really annoying me this week reading some of the threads out there about the quality of player we should be going after/attract. It is now obvious from the Pink Un article today that barring a miracle (ie no Championship club coming in) Alan Lee ain''t coming here.  Can you blame him if Championship clubs make him an offer? So an extremely limited, average player is staying in the league above us.That in itself should be enough to finally convince people that all this talk about Lita, Miller and others is nothing other than the typing of madmen. Simple question - would we get Lita, or Miller, as examples, if we had stayed up?  The answer is "probably not".  So how on earth will we attract them in League One?I think some people have had their heads in the sand far to long, and still are not facing the reality  the club is now in.

It really is very simple:The gulf between the Championship and League One is as big as that between the Championship and the Premier League.  Squirm, shout and cry all you like, that is the reality of the situation.The only Championship players who usually drop a division permanently, or on loan, are the poorest squad players, in the same way that the poorer squad players end up at the bigger Championship clubs.No professional footballer wants to drop a division, or wages.  They do not want to be a big fish in a little pond, they want to play at the highest level they can for the most money they can, and wouldn''t you?Gunn had already bleeted on about Alan Lee being to much money - probably around £400,000 in reality.  That should tell you that our transfer budget, as Wing Commander Jones said, truly is appropriate for a league one team.Not getting out of league one, but existing in it I would suggest he means.

regardless of the "wait and see" and "is the transfer window shut then" denial nonsense, the reality is that next season our team will be a new, untried, League One team full of league one and two standard players, padded out heavily with kids.  Our club has demonstrated for several years now to the footballing world that we lack drive and ambition.  As a player would you want to sign up for three years to a club that on the face of the evidence, looks like it will be not that upset to be in league one for several years?

agree with the Lita and Miller poitns, people talking bout players way above our station, but if we can get together the money Palace want Lee is defo on his way here. He lives in suffolk and is settled there with le family and wants to stay perminantly. Doesnt matter that we''re L1 Lee wants in and I think he''ll do a job in that division  

[quote user="ACE"]As some of you may have noticed its been really annoying me this week reading some of the threads out there about the quality of player we should be going after/attract.

It is now obvious from the Pink Un article today that barring a miracle (ie no Championship club coming in) Alan Lee ain''t coming here.  Can you blame him if Championship clubs make him an offer? So an extremely limited, average player is staying in the league above us.

That in itself should be enough to finally convince people that all this talk about Lita, Miller and others is nothing other than the typing of madmen.

Simple question - would we get Lita, or Miller, as examples, if we had stayed up?  The answer is "probably not".  So how on earth will we attract them in League One?

I think some people have had their heads in the sand far to long, and still are not facing the reality  the club is now in.

It really is very simple:

The gulf between the Championship and League One is as big as that between the Championship and the Premier League.  Squirm, shout and cry all you like, that is the reality of the situation.

The only Championship players who usually drop a division permanently, or on loan, are the poorest squad players, in the same way that the poorer squad players end up at the bigger Championship clubs.

No professional footballer wants to drop a division, or wages.  They do not want to be a big fish in a little pond, they want to play at the highest level they can for the most money they can, and wouldn''t you?

Gunn had already bleeted on about Alan Lee being to much money - probably around £400,000 in reality.  That should tell you that our transfer budget, as Wing Commander Jones said, truly is appropriate for a league one team.

Not getting out of league one, but existing in it I would suggest he means.

regardless of the "wait and see" and "is the transfer window shut then" denial nonsense, the reality is that next season our team will be a new, untried, League One team full of league one and two standard players, padded out heavily with kids.  Our club has demonstrated for several years now to the footballing world that we lack drive and ambition.  As a player would you want to sign up for three years to a club that on the face of the evidence, looks like it will be not that upset to be in league one for several years?

[/quote]All very true I''m afraid. The wages we will be paying in Div 1 will also be a big deterrent to recruiting players that have previously been  thought of as only average. Lee Croft is one example.

Here''s a reality check concerning Alan Lee: He''s one of our shite cast offs and you can''t afford him.  [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] oh dear god my sides are aching [:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="blue pride"]Here''s a reality check concerning Alan Lee: He''s one of our shite cast offs and you can''t afford him.  [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] oh dear god my sides are aching [:D][:D][:D]

[/quote]

Get mummy to help you relax.....

If the gulf between League One and the Championship is that huge, could you explain how it is that all three teams that got promoted last season managed to stay up this season (and how Blackpool have managed to stay up for two seasons). For me the important thing will be getting the balance of the team right and creating a team that actually plays as a team, rather than on how much we spend.

His constant "I''d love to be here whatever" statements (5 in total?) did rather smack of desperation to get away from Palace and paying lipservice to ncfc if we were to stay up

As I posted before Lee''s "I''d love to be here" is him sttting his stall out just like any of us would when potentially negotiating for a new jub.  He lives in Dedham and does not want to move (generally once in the EA region nobody wants to move out again, it''s getting them here in the first place both clubs have suffered from), so he says he''d love to play for NCFC.  I''m sure he would as it suits him from a personal point of view, but I''m sure he will not be considering a large pay cut not to move house.  He will have a huge mortgage (by our standards, given house prices around the Dedham Vale (Roy keane turned down a house in Dedham last week at £1.2m as not being big enough / worth the money - it won''t have been the uual footballers pad at that money in Dedham, he''ll need to cough up £1.8 at a guess!!) and will need to pay it, so being on min £10k a week now - but probably more like £12k once he moved to CP - means he will only come if his money stays anywhere near the same level as it is now.  So find maybe £9k minimum ++++ bonuses plus fee and he''d no doubt jump at the opporunuity as it ticks all the boxes, but if not then like all footballers he will either stay put and pick his money up or find someone else willing to pay.  All his declaration has done so far is to convince a few people (only fans at a guess) that it would be worth pushing the boat out financially to get him - which is exactly the idea of it!

[quote user="treacletown07"]

Run along you sad and bitter little boy.

[/quote]

I know this Scummer fan, his brothers are at UEA (On a shelf in a Pickle jar).

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]P155 off u retard Blue pride, or i`ll squish u, tit[/quote]

See that no 14 shirt in your avatar? It was having a good game until a body put it on [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="singing canary"]

i really hope you have a pi** poor season .

[/quote]

Even if we fail to get promoted (unlikely) we will still be two divisions higher than you.  [:D]

[quote user="blue pride"][quote user="singing canary"]

i really hope you have a pi** poor season .

[/quote]

Even if we fail to get promoted (unlikely) we will still be two divisions higher than you.  [:D]
[/quote]

And your point is? [:^)]

AFAIC we will no longer have to endure being spat on and worse by your so called supporters at Portaloo road, and that is a bonus.  I will C&P what you have just typed, so that in the future when our team is rebuilt and playing better than yours, I can rub your scummy little nose in it.

Have a lovely day [:)]

[quote user="blue pride"]Here''s a reality check concerning Alan Lee: He''s one of our shite cast offs and you can''t afford him.  [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] oh dear god my sides are aching [:D][:D][:D]

[/quote]

this is a very true statement, how depressing hey! bet you enjoy rubbing our noses in it! hope we will get our revenge one day although i some how doubt we will

that is my point , havent you got anyting better to do .

even though we are crap we still managed to beat you 2-0 down here , so why are you gloating ?

i really hope all your children walk backwards ,, oh sorry they allready do .

Dont worry Lincoln Canary, the old saying what goes around comes around, look at the facts they blew 12 million last year, the ground was half empty, and their ground is a giant shed that needs knocking down, and theyve lost their biggest game of the season.

Its a town not a City, and its a sh1thole, full of prostitutes and people who look like they have just been dragged off the Jeremy Kyle show, i dont give a flying F*** how much money the scum have, wank team, wank owner and a crap stadium.

We will rise again, as for me got a few grounds to go too with a bit of character, just gonna enjoy the ride.

OTBC

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]

Dont worry Lincoln Canary, the old saying what goes around comes around, look at the facts they blew 12 million last year, the ground was half empty, and their ground is a giant shed that needs knocking down, and theyve lost their biggest game of the season.

Its a town not a City, and its a sh1thole, full of prostitutes and people who look like they have just been dragged off the Jeremy Kyle show, i dont give a flying F*** how much money the scum have, wank team, wank owner and a crap stadium.

We will rise again, as for me got a few grounds to go too with a bit of character, just gonna enjoy the ride.

OTBC

[/quote]

Well said. 

maybe they should start filming jeremy kyle at ipswich , your right the place is a dump.

what comes round goes round , that is football .

knowing what a unpopular figure roy keane is having friends at sunderland .

im fairly confident it will blow back in thier face.

you didnt do that well this season ipswich , you didnt even make the playoffs .

and town fans are foolish to belive promotion is going to be walk in  the park.

because it wont ,

[/quote]tou live in a shit hole ha ha my sides are aching

Stoke stayed up, would you not say they have defied the odds rather than being where they should be?  Brom failed and Hull look likely to.All three teams stayed up because three teams failed utterly  to retain their status.[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]If the gulf between League One and the Championship is that huge, could you explain how it is that all three teams that got promoted last season managed to stay up this season (and how Blackpool have managed to stay up for two seasons). For me the important thing will be getting the balance of the team right and creating a team that actually plays as a team, rather than on how much we spend.[/quote]

A two page thread and only about two of the replies are releated to the thread and the rest are about a scummer!  marvelous.I believe the gulf between league one and the Championship is larger than many people think, that was my basic point !

[quote user="ACE"]It is now obvious from the Pink Un article today that barring a miracle (ie no Championship club coming in) Alan Lee ain''t coming here.  Can you blame him if Championship clubs make him an offer? So an extremely limited, average player is staying in the league above us.[/quote]That is your interpritation of what the article says. However to me it looks more like Gunn saying we have a chance of getting one of either Shackell or Lee but not both and that it wont be easy because of money etc. As I mentioned in another post - the critic in me says this article came rather too soon after the NCISA ''keep your rebates'' statement. Smacks of ''if you want better players give the club the rebates'' about it.I am not saying that it is likely or exactly how difficult it is but it is early days yet.[quote user="ACE"]That in itself should be enough to finally convince people that all this talk about Lita, Miller and others is nothing other than the typing of madmen.[/quote]I would agree with Lita but to be honest I don''t think there have been many serious posts about us signing him - I would be surprised if he doesnt end up at somewhere like QPR or another top of the table team - he is good enough.If  you are talking about Liam Miller then I think its a different matter altogether. You have a 28 year old central midfielder who has only played around 150 games in his professional career going back to his days at Celtic. The next contract he signs could be the one that makes or breaks his career - although he hasnt struggled at championship level he has only been a regular at Sunderland. If the Sky reports are to be believed he is considering a move to Irish football and no disrespect to them but can they offer the same money? I don''t think this is so far out of the question. Simply put - to put Miller in the same catogory of player as Lita is criminal![quote user="ACE"]I think some people have had their heads in the sand far to long, and still are not facing the reality  the club is now in.[/quote]No - I think people want to see this club staking its ambition to the mast to prove that they are making strides in the right direction. Whilst I agree that Lita is out of our range now (and may well have been if we had stayed up anyway) I don''t accept that we can not find some quality bargains out there. For example Lee will cost money so you accept that that may not happen - Miller for example is free - the advantage of this is that you could offer better wages to Miller or a larger signing on fee due to the absence of a transfer fee.

[quote user="ACE"]It really is very simple:The gulf between the Championship and League One is as big as that between the Championship and the Premier League.  Squirm, shout and cry all you like, that is the reality of the situation.[/quote]It''s so simple that you got it wrong. Dropping from the premiership to the championship these days will cost you in the region of £40million in lost revenue. A recent article by Waghorn and comments by others suggest dropping from the championship to league one could amount to something like £7-9million in lost revenue. That is quite a large difference - and not remotely the same.To add to that you have more chance of avoiding relegation after being promoted to the championship than you do if you are promoted to the premiership - such is the difference in wages and player prices etc. [quote user="ACE"]The only Championship players who usually drop a division permanently, or on loan, are the poorest squad players, in the same way that the poorer squad players end up at the bigger Championship clubs.No professional footballer wants to drop a division, or wages.  They do not want to be a big fish in a little pond, they want to play at the highest level they can for the most money they can, and wouldn''t you?[/quote]Not entirely. There are a lot of players that may have been at a club for a season or two who haven''t made the impact and lost suiters as a result - they will want to go somewhere to prove they are good enough and possibly consider dropping a league to do so. Then you also have the players that are 31/32 who are looking at possibly their last professional contract and will want somewhere that is stable and offering two or three year contracts. There are bargains to be had just as we managed to get Huckerby there will be good solid league one players available and prepared to drop a level. At the same time there will be good league one and two players that will be prepared to step up a level as Clingan did.Whilst it is true that one should not burry their head in the sand I also think that people shouldn''t be all doom and gloom. Sometimes good things come out of failure. After the Wall Street Crash in the 1920''s in America they rebuild New York and most of their road networks which are still standing today.And this is how we should judge the board - they have made huge horrific failings and it is down to them at the moment to try and make up for it. If we accept failure again will there not just be a sad sodden fizzle of nothingness like this season? We need to expect more, push them for more and when we don''t get it ask questions of them. Continued failure when making the same mistakes over and over again is simply not acceptable.The harsh critic inside me says that the club are yet again trying to lower our expectations of the type of player that will play for us now. They want the season ticket holders to give the rebates to the club.  Do we accept everything they say? I for one don''t, I have stopped believing everything they say and trying to calculate every eventuality for myself because the club always issues the same old rubbish they did in the summer before promotion. Can''t get the players, haven''t got the money. We may not have the money but then that is their fault and their problem and they need to sort it out, I don''t care if they have to whip Foulger to do it.