Sign in to follow this  
6088m canary

signings

now i know everyone has their own opinions as to who to sign, but there is some real quality out there if we look about.

Having seen the players that QPR have just released id definitely get sdome calls in.

Liam Miller would have enough quality to breeze league one and lets face it our midfield needs a decent centre to it.

Im guessing hes had problems either mental or physical but if we could get him right and could hold on to clinkers wed have the best centre midfield in the division.

Do we have the wages money to attract "quality" ?Would you drop down a league for the same money or less?Would you gamble your career on coming to a club with a rookie manager and no squad, on a 2-3 year deal ?

Nope, thought not.

Well all I can say is, we should remind Delia of what she said after the Charlton game, We will fight tooth and nail to make this club great again and by hook or by crook we will get players in, Lets see how true to her word she really is As we see our No 1 target is heading somewhere else

[quote user="ACE"]Do we have the wages money to attract "quality" ?Would you drop down a league for the same money or less?Would you gamble your career on coming to a club with a rookie manager and no squad, on a 2-3 year deal ?

Nope, thought not.[/quote]Depends what the player is looking for. Liam Miller has played at this level before and he is in desperate need of relaunching his career after becoming almost forgotten at QPR.The points you raise may all be good if think. Maybe if we offer him 2-3 years it may be the only contract of that length offered to him. Maybe the other clubs that are interested are only offering a year or a year with a further year as an option because he hasnt played much first team football this season and want him to prove himself.Maybe he wants to move to a club where he is almost guaranteed first team football in front of at least 18,000 fans every week. Maybe as an ex Manchester Utd player Sir Alex has spoken to him and recomended Gunn as a good chap.To be honest I don''t think Miller can be far off our radar if he is talking about returning to Ireland to play football.

[quote user="ACE"]Do we have the wages money to attract "quality" ?Would you drop down a league for the same money or less?Would you gamble your career on coming to a club with a rookie manager and no squad, on a 2-3 year deal ?

Nope, thought not.[/quote]well what do you think we should bloody do then, according to you, noone will join us, and we have absolutely NOOO money, that is not true at all, we''re amongst the most reputable clubs in this league, and so should have a squad capable of getting out of this league! Go on, the mic''s on you, present your portfolio on how you would take this club forward!

Ace makes a fair point.Why would any player jeopardize their career with a complete rookie manager who already has a relegation on his CV?Why would a player join a club who will soon be selling their best players?What are the prospects of promotion for next season if I join?Thats why we aren''t an attractive proposition for many players because we lack any sort of ambition to gain promotion. We may be a reputable club but I think most players sign based on who the manager is and how much money we can offer them (ie not much from the soundings coming out of the club).

[quote user="Lupo Loop"]Ace makes a fair point.

Why would any player jeopardize their career with a complete rookie manager who already has a relegation on his CV?
Why would a player join a club who will soon be selling their best players?
What are the prospects of promotion for next season if I join?

Thats why we aren''t an attractive proposition for many players because we lack any sort of ambition to gain promotion. We may be a reputable club but I think most players sign based on who the manager is and how much money we can offer them (ie not much from the soundings coming out of the club).
[/quote]

Wxcept that if the player believed in themselves and''or came from a higher division they would surely see that as a sign of ambition to get promoted...

You are one of the blinkered ones on here I''m afraid.Why should I put out a plan?  I am just stating the reality you do not want to face up to.I would suggest our transfer budget for next season is well under 2 million to build a squad needing reinforcements of up to 10 players -  so NOOO money I would say?And what on earth has being reputable got to do with getting out of league one?Wake up.[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="ACE"]Do we have the wages money to attract "quality" ?Would you drop down a league for the same money or less?Would you gamble your career on coming to a club with a rookie manager and no squad, on a 2-3 year deal ?

Nope, thought not.[/quote]well what do you think we should bloody do then, according to you, noone will join us, and we have absolutely NOOO money, that is not true at all, we''re amongst the most reputable clubs in this league, and so should have a squad capable of getting out of this league! Go on, the mic''s on you, present your portfolio on how you would take this club forward![/quote]

But to be fair to you Jimmy, I will answer your point about a plan.We need a manager who can attract players and inspire them.  To convince them that he has the guts and experience to get us straight up - Gunn does not.  So point one - I would try to get a manager in who could attract and inspire those players to drop a division/take a career gamble - call it the "rednapp" effect in terms of what I''m trying to say.I would be out there getting bodies in QUICKLY.  Not only so they are in for day one of pre-season, but to ensure that positive PR was coming out of the club, to be seen to be doing SOMETHING quickly, even if it was players who would just fill holes in the squad while I chased my real targets.I would put out a statement to the press GUARANTEEING that cash from waived season ticket rebates would go into the managers war chest.After that, I cant be specific, it would be a case of trying to best key players I could.  Attracting them to a club that was talking up the positives, recruiting, had an experienced manager who was talking a good fight all the time, things like that would attract me.  Rather then the situation we have now.

[quote user="ACE"]But to be fair to you Jimmy, I will answer your point about a plan.We need a manager who can attract players and inspire them.  To convince them that he has the guts and experience to get us straight up - Gunn does not.  So point one - I would try to get a manager in who could attract and inspire those players to drop a division/take a career gamble - call it the "rednapp" effect in terms of what I''m trying to say.I would be out there getting bodies in QUICKLY.  Not only so they are in for day one of pre-season, but to ensure that positive PR was coming out of the club, to be seen to be doing SOMETHING quickly, even if it was players who would just fill holes in the squad while I chased my real targets.I would put out a statement to the press GUARANTEEING that cash from waived season ticket rebates would go into the managers war chest.After that, I cant be specific, it would be a case of trying to best key players I could.  Attracting them to a club that was talking up the positives, recruiting, had an experienced manager who was talking a good fight all the time, things like that would attract me.  Rather then the situation we have now.[/quote]Ace - why is it you do not respond to my suggestions. You seem to think that yours is the only right opinion.Very true that Miller may not want to drop a league but with him the point about a rookie manager doesn''t always stick. Managers have to start somewhere and if you are on a free transfer your agent will be talking to everyone who is interested. Sure they may be a number of Championship teams sniffing around but there is also Gunn''s link to Fergie who at one point had Miller on the books at Man U and the other factor of Miller having played in Scotland where Gunn also has links.Again if you look at some other footballers they sometimes do drop a league to try and re-launch their careers. This could be the same for him.Affordability wise as I said before - if sky is right and he has a least considered going to Ireland to play footie he can not be motivated only by money can he. Like I also said, right now players that sign in certain positions will almost be walking straight into our first team match day line up.

[quote user="ACE"]But to be fair to you Jimmy, I will answer your point about a plan.We need a manager who can attract players and inspire them.  To convince them that he has the guts and experience to get us straight up - Gunn does not.  So point one - I would try to get a manager in who could attract and inspire those players to drop a division/take a career gamble - call it the "rednapp" effect in terms of what I''m trying to say.I would be out there getting bodies in QUICKLY.  Not only so they are in for day one of pre-season, but to ensure that positive PR was coming out of the club, to be seen to be doing SOMETHING quickly, even if it was players who would just fill holes in the squad while I chased my real targets.I would put out a statement to the press GUARANTEEING that cash from waived season ticket rebates would go into the managers war chest.After that, I cant be specific, it would be a case of trying to best key players I could.  Attracting them to a club that was talking up the positives, recruiting, had an experienced manager who was talking a good fight all the time, things like that would attract me.  Rather then the situation we have now.[/quote]fair enough, i think the ''more reputable'' bit will go a long way to helping us out of this league though, as it will attract better players to the club than, say, yeovil or the like can muster usually.I would want to get new players quickly, but the 1 problem with getting bodies in quickly is that they might not be all that good and as you say, we don''t have money to waste, i''m hoping we''ve got a massive list of the bosmans we want to persue, and persue lots of them, like chasing the ladies on a night out, it''s a numbers game but we just got that bit uglier! Still, theres attractive signings out there who would be interested in us, we just have to try hard to persuade them. I get your point about the Redknapp effect. A decent start to the season will give Gunn that power somewhat. The rebates idea is good, but just seems unfeasable to think people will make their decisions in time for this transfer window.I''d have sat down with Clingan in particular and told him that the team will be built round him and you want him to sign a 1 year extension with lots of get-out clauses if we do rubbish or if a premiership team comes in for him... that sort of thing. Not ideal, but i want him to stay and not leave for free at the end of the season. I''m sure we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement with him.

Nope, thought not.[/quote]I agree to an extent. But we are still likely to be an attractive prospect to some up and coming prospects not considered "ready" by top championship clubs + to some more seasoned professionals it is potentially a highlight of their careers to play for a club our size.It''s not great and not something that I would want for the club. But essentially we are swimming in a different pond now and should be one of the biggest fish in it. I don''t like the "realism" or "consolidation" talk - we should expect to be promoted next year.