Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Don't shoot me down here!

There is of course another way to generate a larger transfer kitty for January.  We have an excellent player in our squad who is ambitious, talented and attracting the attention of top clubs.  I''m of course talking about Greeno.

If a sizeable bid was offered to us in January (£5M +) would we be foolish to accept it or reject it?  Let me present both sides of the arguement:

Accept- It would generate a massive boost for Nige''s transfer kitty.  Having £3/4M to spend (I''m assuming we wouldn''t use the entire fee got by Greeno leaving) instead of £1/2M in January would be a massive difference.  The quality of striker we could bring in would surely change dramatically.  It could keep us up.

Reject- Greeno has, arguably, been our best player so far this season.  He has kept us in games by making some fantastic saves.  He''s a very talented keeper and would be vital in us staying in the Premiership.

I''m in no doubt that Greeno will leave next summer.  I wouldn''t begrudge him leaving of course.  He''s very talented and ambitious and with clubs like Man Utd and Arsenal wanting goalkeepers he''d be foolish to turn a move to a top club down.  The question is though:  If one of those clubs came in for him in January should we accept the bid?  My view- Yes.  It would be a blow to lose a goalkeeper of Greeno''s capabilities and skills but by the sounds of it we brought in two excellent goalies last summer who could step into his shoes.  Buying a top quality striker could keep us up.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately I would have to agree.  We would be silly not to accept a bid of £5M or more.  That must be why Nige got in 2 excellent back up keepers.  I still think part of the Bentley loan could hold a term about giving Arsenal first refusal or something similar, we shall see.

My only worry is would they let him go for less than £5M, say £3M?  Then I would be a little worried.  Clubs like Man U and Arsenal are big attractions to Greeno with undoubtedly bigger wages and more potential.  With Norwich struggling for cash the big clubs will definitely force the price down, knowing that Greeno would want to go and we can''t afford not to get some cash in.

Lets hope Nigel and the board would be strong and not take less than what he is worth, not just today, but his potential too.

On the flip side if more than one big club is interested the price could rocket up, which would be nice.

Who knows maybe he will stay of his own free will anyway and be happy to be part of the Yellow and Green Premiership Title charge in 4 seasons time!!

There is a but in all of this. I started off agreeing with the views above - it makes sense.But DD, you''re kind of suggesting that the quality of striker we could get with, say, 4m would far exceed what we could get with 1m, or at least make the difference between staying up and going down. The theory''s good... until you look at West Brom spending 4.5m on Earnshaw who''s done... what exactly?I would say that Green has earned us more points than Earnshaw has for West Brom. £ don''t equal points, its how you spend them, at every level. What''s the cost of Arsenal''s squad versus Chelsea''s? Or ManU''s?Hmmm... not easy. Over to you Nige.

Totally agree that a £5m bid would be hard to turn down, but does he actually want to leave?

You have to remember who his partner is, and the reputation/lifestyle which accompanies his personal sitaution locally, and as I understand it, Robert Green is an educated, mature, intelligent bloke who is not entirely motivated by money. Naturally, any footballer wants the best for himself and his family, but it is not the be all and end all of the situation.

Of course, any move by ArsenalMan Utd would be tempting, but I dont think that either the club or indeed Green himself, will be easily tempted by a derisory offer.

If we were offered £5m though, I would be sad to see him go, but would also be expecting us to break our transfer record and bring in somebody of real quality.

I agree(sadly).  Once again, you are talking sense. I would be gutted to see him go, and I think Greeno would also be gutted, but no one player is bigger than this club and if it can help our progress and sustain our premiership position, then it has to be done.

We have good cover in that position so we wouldn''t be left short.  But it would be a sad day.

DDIM, I do think if the sort of bid you are talking about came in we would sell, no doubt about it.  The only problem I can see is that the money would not be of that much benefit to us.  We would have between £3-6mil maybe to spend on players in January but the money to buy a player in that sort of price bracket is not the issue.  It''s attracting them to come and play for a club that has a strong chance of being relegated this season.  We could probably buy John Hartson for that sort of money but would he want to give up playing Champions League football?  I think not.  It will be the same for other players also.  The other alternative is to buy potential, like Dean Ashton or A.N Other.  The problem here is though that these clubs will know we have money to spend and will probably try and get a price far above what the player is worth.

Personally I think Greeno will want to see out this season at least but if a firm bid comes in who knows? 

I think this is where being such a "well run club" can hold us in good stead.I believe that we are in a strong enough position to tell anyone to bu**er off until they pay what we want. We don''t need their money at the moment, but we probably will if we go crazy in January.

[quote]There is a but in all of this. I started off agreeing with the views above - it makes sense.But DD, you''re kind of suggesting that the quality of striker we could get with, say, 4m would far exceed wh...[/quote]

I see your point Ama.  I thought Earnshaw would do a lot better than he has done.  You would think though that the more cash we have to spend the better the quality of striker we could bring in.  Not always the case I suppose, but I would probably rather have more choice as to who we could bring in

A large bid would be hard to turn down but I think we would get little of that to spend so we should not sell unless we are granted all of this transfer, or most to spend on players.

I do not think that the club would turn down a £5M offer but which club is going to offer it?  The only reasons for Greeno to leave would be; if we were relegated, a chance to play in European games or have a chance to win a trophy.  He has become a member of the England squad at Norwich and has a virtually guaranteed place in our team, and he is hero worshipped by all of us. So who will offer the cash?

Arsenal: Top of the league having a laugh, Lehmann doing ok + 3 back up keepers, Taylor, Almunia and Stack. NO.

Chelsea: Cech conceeded only 2, + 3 backups Cudicini, Makalamby and Pidegely. NO.

Man Utd: Howard & Carroll, + Steele & Ricardo as backups.  POSSIBLY.

Liverpool: Dudek & Kirkland, + Luzi.  NO.

Newcastle: Given + Harper and Caig.  POSSIBLY.

So its the two Uniteds, Manchester have spent out on Rooney and Newcastle won''t win much.  So Greeno stays with us. Woo Hoo!

Fair points there Freddy - he''s certainly not going to move to a club where he would be competing for the No.1 shirt - that would not make any sense at all.   I don''t think that he would consider moving to Newcastle Utd in order to further his career, so given your thinking it''s Man Utd or nothing...but what if Utd were to start having problems with the Glazier situation and if they fall further behind the chasing pack - and if Ferguson were to be given the boot...

It''s a long way until January and personally I think that the club will hang on to Green until the end of the season as he could play a major part in whether we stay up or go back down - he already has had a massive influence on our league position.

[quote]I do not think that the club would turn down a £5M offer but which club is going to offer it? The only reasons for Greeno to leave would be; if we were relegated, a chance to play in European games o...[/quote]

Fair point Freddy, but I think I would probably disagree with you about Arsenal.  IMO Lehmann isn''t that special.  If Greeno went there I''m sure he would be having a damn good go at being first choice.  He would certainly be above Stack (on loan at Millwall) and Taylor and Almunia (not a lot of experience).   

Listen to this guys. Firstly i think we should be asking for a bit more than 5 million for greeno, maybe more around the 7 or even 8 million mark. secondly, i''ve heard rumours that there could possibly be a move being made by arsenal for him, however it also involves bentley. from what i''ve heard arsenal may offer around 2-3 million for him, but, wait for it, also give bentley to us as a part-exchange. now i know it sounds far-fetched, seein as wenger likes him so much. but arsenal are in need of a decent keeper, (anyone see lehmann last night?)

and you couldn''t rule it out as a possibility. what are your views on this potential move?