Sign in to follow this  
yellowngreen

Delia Smith or Norwich City

Ct quoted in an earlier thread

the way Delia has used norwich city to try and up her fading celebrity status is CRIMINAL.

Personally I think this is a great example of how foolish some of the posters on this board are and thought I would ask others what they think the biggest brand name is Delia Smith or Norwich City

Yes Delia has made mistakes but i think her biggest was not nailing her name to retail products

Delia Yorkshire Puds

Delias ready Meals

Delia ready Sauces

etc, etc, etc

Had she have done this she may well have the hundreds of millions that we wish she could throw at a football club

I really think the younger posters on here have no idea of how big her name is/was

I think I would agree with you in that the Delia Smith brand is more famous/widely known than the Norwich City Football Club brand.  But her brand image is the issue.  "Delia Smith" is, as you say, an ageing brand.  It''s mumsy, it''s middle England, middle class, traditional and increasingly irrelevant and tired.  I think it''s reasonable to suggest that wrapping yourself in a football club should bring the energy and enthusiasm to revive a tired brand.

Tell me, who else would a Google search recognise just from typing a christian name - type in Delia and it immediately knows its Delia Smith. That tells you even now, she has a fantastic brand.

A fair point, however as probably 80-90% of her brand followers have very little interest in football then im sure she would have been able to find something better to promote it, if that had been what she wished to do

[quote user="yellowngreen"]A fair point, however as probably 80-90% of her brand followers have very little interest in football then im sure she would have been able to find something better to promote it, if that had been what she wished to do[/quote]Again, I don''t disagree with you.  But which brand do you think has benefitted more from the relationship?I would suggest that, in brand terms, "Delia Smith" has done rather better than "Norwich City".

[quote user="yellowngreen"]A fair point, however as probably 80-90% of her brand followers have very little interest in football then im sure she would have been able to find something better to promote it, if that had been what she wished to do[/quote]

Y''mean, like property and stuff?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="yellowngreen"]A fair point, however as probably 80-90% of her brand followers have very little interest in football then im sure she would have been able to find something better to promote it, if that had been what she wished to do[/quote]Again, I don''t disagree with you.  But which brand do you think has benefitted more from the relationship?I would suggest that, in brand terms, "Delia Smith" has done rather better than "Norwich City".[/quote]I really rather doubt that the brand "Delia Smith" has been affected in any real way by anything to do with Norwich City. The only people affected are us lot and Delia herself.Nice to see th OP demonstrating a sense of perspective. "CRIMINAL",  sheesh.

The fact that Delia used to be the bigger name - and I guess still is to an extent has dragged us down.

Struggling with your logic would you like to expand ?

[quote user="Jack Flash"]

Tell me, who else would a Google search recognise just from typing a christian name - type in Delia and it immediately knows its Delia Smith. That tells you even now, she has a fantastic brand.

[/quote]Here''s a thought.....No googling this time.Name two other famous ''Delias''.Stuck?Then just name one other famous ''Delia''.Still stuck?Okay now you can use google.Find any yet?Having an unusual name certainly seems to help your google placings as Elton John illustrates, type in Elton and you are straight onto the man, try plain old Reg and the results are more about cars than stars.

Whereas if you type in "Norwich" you get: "During the 11th century Norwich was the second largest city in England, after London, and one of the most important places in the kingdom. ..."

So, it seems the city has slipped a little in ranking since the 11th century. Not all Delia''s fault then. I think I''ll blame Mello. He''s been around a long time dragging the city down with negative humour. 

[quote user="Chrisr"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="yellowngreen"]A fair point, however as probably 80-90% of her brand followers have very little interest in football then im sure she would have been able to find something better to promote it, if that had been what she wished to do[/quote]Again, I don''t disagree with you.  But which brand do you think has benefitted more from the relationship?I would suggest that, in brand terms, "Delia Smith" has done rather better than "Norwich City".[/quote]I really rather doubt that the brand "Delia Smith" has been affected in any real way by anything to do with Norwich City. The only people affected are us lot and Delia herself.[/quote]That''s sort of my point.  Do you think the brand "Norwich City Football Club" has been affected in any real way by Delia Smith?

Chrisr wrote:

Mister Chops wrote:

yellowngreen wrote:

A fair point, however as probably 80-90% of her brand followers have very little interest in football then im sure she would have been able to find something better to promote it, if that had been what she wished to do

Again, I don''t disagree with you.  But which brand do you think has benefitted more from the relationship?

I would suggest that, in brand terms, "Delia Smith" has done rather better than "Norwich City".

I really rather doubt that the brand "Delia Smith" has been affected in any real way by anything to do with Norwich City. The only people affected are us lot and Delia herself.

That''s sort of my point.  Do you think the brand "Norwich City Football Club" has been affected in any real way by Delia Smith?

No mr chops possibly a little more awarenes, I would say that a lot more non football people know the owner of our club rather than most of those in the premier

[quote user="yellowngreen"]

Chrisr wrote:

Mister Chops wrote:

yellowngreen wrote:

Again, I don''t disagree with you.  But which brand do you think has benefitted more from the relationship?I would suggest that, in brand terms, "Delia Smith" has done rather better than "Norwich City".
I really rather doubt that the brand "Delia Smith" has been affected in any real way by anything to do with Norwich City. The only people affected are us lot and Delia herself.

That''s sort of my point.  Do you think the brand "Norwich City Football Club" has been affected in any real way by Delia Smith?

No mr chops possibly a little more awarenes, I would say that a lot more non football people know the owner of our club rather than most of those in the premier

[/quote]Well, possibly.  And the fact we''re in League One?

[quote user="yellowngreen"]

[/quote]

Yes, it''s become a third division brand.

I think we are sort of getting off the point of the thread here

which was related to ct''s comments

However I will clarify i am not a Delia hater or lover I think she has done some good for the club but i also think we need a change! we are in our position because of some bad choices some of which have been called by many on here, not everybody is going to agree on anything but from what i have seen there was not to much shouting about thesse decisions when they were first made. Yes we have lacked funds but we all know that delias willingness and/or pockets are not deep enough

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Whereas if you type in "Norwich" you get: "During the 11th century Norwich was the second largest city in England, after London, and one of the most important places in the kingdom. ..."

So, it seems the city has slipped a little in ranking since the 11th century. Not all Delia''s fault then. I think I''ll blame Mello. He''s been around a long time dragging the city down with negative humour. 

[/quote]

Says the bloke that upped sticks to live in the Good old US of A....If you think that much about the City that''s so close to your heart...Move your carcass back here then.

Nope, too old, and too settled in the loins of America the free......

.....but, not fat-free.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="yellowngreen"]

[/quote]

Yes, it''s become a third division brand.

[/quote]

The catering establishments at the foodball club are Premiership quality though.....If we did go into admin....they''d be the last to go...

In fact, it''s probably why ''Deals no Deals'' is digging her heels in...

Politically incorrect or not.... Delia Smith has "femininised" Norwich City Football Club. Our image inside and outside of the game is one of fluffiness and weakness.

You can put the toughest of prize fighters in a dress and he suddenly becomes beatable.... and the fighter himself loses his edge. That is what has happened to our once proud club and it won''t change until she has packed her bags and gone.

I''ve been saying this for years now and I am pleased that many other supporters are now seeing through the celebrity mist. I''m not so worried about our future anymore as I now feel confident that the Delia Smith spin machine has lost it''s magical power and the "Saviour" myth has been exploded.

Let''s hope it stays that way.

The two are at the moment wrapped up with each other, not happily it seems, but both wishing to be free (or so some would have us believe). Would NCFC survive without Delia, of course we would, as would Delia without NCFC.

We were once known more for our football (we were in the top division for a long period of time before she came along) and no doubt we will be NCFC again one day, not (calm down now, although it''s very difficult) Delia Smith''s Norwich City. That grates with me. Whatever I think of her, good or bad, it will always be NCFC for me, whoever is in charge.

Certain sections of the media focus on her celebrity status. Does she welcome that? From the evidence so far, yes she does, at least in good times. Does NCFC revel in being Delia''s most loved hobby? Well, there are a number of self confessed Delia fans who do come along to Carrow Road because she''s there. She''s invested money, but has that really helped NCFC? We have debated this forever on here and of course many different views are held - the facts remain we are back where we were 50 years ago. Unless Delia completely changes her leadership style fairly soon, we will all soon be wishing for a parting of the ways - the status of NCFC is far more important than that of Delia Smith.