Sign in to follow this  
Freddy H

The Quiet Man

Adam Drury is like Iain Duncan Smith, not a strong leader and should be replaced.

Adam was fantastic last season and deserved the Barry Butler trophy, but has been having a nightmare of a season this time out. This was much in evidence against Derby and Sunderland, time and again he was caught out of position up the pitch and then had to rely on Flem & Malky to help him out.

Against the Black Cats we were under the cosh in the second half, time for a strong leader to inspire his fellow players, this was not forthcoming; Adam is too quiet, an ineffectual leader and needs to be replaced. 4 choices, Fleming, Mackay, Holt, or Francis, but which one?

Judging by the way Green gave Mackay a good bollocking for failing to pick up his player and allowing a free header, I think he could be included on the list of potentials. I notice you have not included Edworthy either, but for me he has been one of the most inspirational players recently.

Most stupid comment i''ve heard this year for 2 reasons:
1., Drury is the best player we have had in defence for a very long time, and he does an excellant job as captain. We are currently sitting in 3rd place, if our captain wasn''t a good one, i doubt if we would be there.

2., Duncan Smith is a good leader, one you can call British, rather then Blair. He should not be replaced at all :) (sorry to throw in my political view there).

But is our excellent league position down more to Drury as newly-appointed captain, or down to some inspired signings (both permanent and on loan) by Worthington? Most people seem to agree that Drury''s game has suffered under the responsibility of being captain and whilst I agree he must have played his part in getting us to 3rd, I can think of players more suited to leading the side. Also, playing at left back isn''t necessarily the best position for a captain - Drury must find it hard to influence a game in the way you''d like to see the captain doing. Fleming, it seems to me, is a good talker, experienced, and a possible option. Malky has done it before but I do think he needs to concentrate on his marking before he worries about what the rest of the team are doing. I think the best bet would be Francis - he works hard, likes to get forward and is the sort of player to lead by example.

Oh, and whlist not wanting to get too political, if IDS is such a great leader, why can''t he provide a decent challenge to a government that seems to get just about everything wrong? Even his own party think he''s not up to it.....

Agreed, i think it''s abit of inspired signingsd and abit of Drury that got us to 3rd.
As for Ids i think you are right, but i believe if he stays he will be very good oposition. As for the givenment yes they seem to get everything wrong and are a joke.

Have said from very early on in the season that Drury''s game was suffering as result of being made club captain..

We really need a player in the middle such as the outstanding Fleming or the very promising Francis to take the captaincy on!!

I really think that given these changes and replacing-Mackay and Holt with-Shackell and Mulryne we would really take some beating in this reasonably average division!!

I thought he had his best game of the season on Saturday, and most of the national press rated him highly (Drury, not IDS). However, I kept an eye on him and he barely opened his mouth. There is no doubt he was made captain to keep him from disappearing to the Premier. I''m not sure that anyone would be better though; Mackay (as Worthy says) doesn''t need to be made captain, and his form isn''t good enough anyway. Flem, possibly? Getting on a bit though... Francis? Maybe so, but he''s as young as Drury so would need to grow into the role, which I guess is what Drury needs time to do...

Well well King Juan! I think you will find that had there been a good bid, say £4 million or more, he would have gone. We could have players like Huckerby for less than that.

There are two types of captain which are;

- Beckhams and Owens who lead by example and exemplary conduct on the pitch along with
pride for playing for the particular team. They rarely voice a huge amount of orders.

- The Vinnie Jones''s or Dennis Wises of the game who are strong robust characters who lead
a team through a loud barking command.

There are pros and cons for both. Vinnie Jones and Dennis Wise were never really great players but they provided a physicall edge to a team and could make a team threatening. Beckham for all his greatness is getting better at shouting but teams sometimes need a verbal kick up the arse on and off the pitch by someone other than the coaching staff, bring on Roy Keane.

I think the captaincy was given to Drury because he is a reletively young player with vast amounts of promisse. You could give it to Holt and Mackay but they are already shouting orders without the armband. I would say if Drury lacks in anything being captain it is character. The best captains seem to not only be strong and good players but also those that seem to work harder and harder as the match goes on, and who never give up on a game whether it be 1-0 or 3-0 to the opposition.

It really has absoloutly nothing to do with how loud a player barks his commands. I am the loudest player on the pitch for my team, but I am not captain. It needs a real leader to do that job, ofcourse I feel I can do that job but its up to the manager, and if he thinks Drury is doing it on and off the pitch then so be it. If he is failing in either place then replace him.

Remember just because you dont hear him bark doesnt mean he isnt issuing commands etc.

Chicken for Captain it is then!
I agree - Beckham makes an excellent captain in my opinion and I think Drury is much in that mould. I think i''d like to see him shout a bit more encouragement - he doesn''t have to bark orders - but just so the boys know he''s up for it. But, like Beckham, I think it''ll take a bit of time and Worthy is the type of bloke who knows all about leading a team, so I reckon we''ll be fine.

I certainly hope you''re right!!

My feelings on the matter are that in this division you need a Dennis Wise-type player that everyone looks to for inspiration. The only problem with seeing Drury as a Beckham-esque captain is that Beckham, playing in midfield, has the freedom to roam and influence a game as he sees fit. Drury, as left back, can''t be allowed the same privileges. If we''re going to have a defender as captain, we need a talker. If not, we need to allow Francis or Holt the opportunity to influence a game with their workrate and organisation.

In my opinion Drury, fantastic player that he is, is simply not the right type of player to be captain. He is a solid defender and knows his job, but in all the games I have seen he is not doing the geeing up and fist clenching that a captain needs. No offence to Adam who I respect as a player, but I don''t believe you can make someone captain just because you might increase his commitment to the club a bit more by giving him an armband

Chicken - interesting analysis, but far from complete.

In an ideal world you have eleven captains on the pitch, but I guess the budget at Carrow Rd [amen] doesn''t stretch to eleven armbands week-in week-out.

While I wouldn''t go as far as to say that a captain makes no difference, I do get the feeling that this meesage board has overrated the importance of the role of captain. Motivating, chastising and communicating instructions/reminders of training are all done from the bench and individuals on the pitch as well as the man wearing the armband.

I personally would avoid making a keeper captain unless you had a very quiet defence. The keeper should always be organising his defenders (including everyone else that comes back) when defending set-pieces and getting them to move according to the managers instructions when the ball is in the opposition half/we''re attacking. Captain or not.

As for Drurys'' appointment, I guess NW appreciates that it doesn''t matter that much - hey we''ve got a club captain and a team captain, explain that one any other way - and elected to choose a man who has proved to be one of our better players, perhaps in the hope that Drury would step up yet another level given the impetus of captaincy. It also helps that Drury is ever-present when none of the other leading candidates are likely to be this season. Roberts - no, Malkay - hmm, Shackell coming through, Fleming - hahahahahaha not a captain in my eyes, Francis - 1st season ergo no way.

As for results, well they speak for themselves. I would put it down to a solid skeleton of a team augmented by three quality (for 1st div) players on loan. The mental boost that gives to the squad is immeasurable, and in addition to the playing qualities the loanees bring.

Not this thread, I know, but Worthy Out - no way. I do, however, have deep misgivings about the Christmas run of games and our habit of being crap post Christmas. Coupled with the uncertainty regarding the 3 loanees it could be very tough. NW managing expectations already only compounds my fears. In the meantime - 3RD!!! - nice :-)

I completly agree, Drury was perhaps picked to lead by example i.e last years performances but I think it too much of a burden fot him. Malky would be my first choice, experienced and very vocal. Flems leads by example as does Holt but 4 me its the Scot all the way!!

You are joking right?

Malky should''nt even be in the team as he makes error after error week in and week out..

Yeah he is always shouting at others-normally when he is the one to have made the mistake..

Drop the Mule now!!