Sign in to follow this  
HappyhammerAndy

Robert Green says in todays paper.

I was surprised to hear Robert Green say in a full page article today that -

"Now that we are being encouraged to play football, and the guys have the confidence to play the ball, I have been able to release the ball from hand a lot more.

I remember times at norwich when I''d get slaughtered by the fans for kicking it long all the time. But, if people don''t want the ball then you don''t have much choice".

I always thought that Norwich liked to play the ball from the back or have times changed up there?

Andy.

We lost our way through a succession of crapola managers appointed by equally crapola directors and the rest is history - correction! I''d prefer for the rest to be history.

The only time Green got ''slaughtered'' was in his last season (2005-6) when we constantly resorted to long balls under Worthington.  It came to a head against Leicester when he''d had enough, turned round and gestured at the River End fans.

I hope he doesn''t base his whole opinion of City on that one season.

I think it definitely refers to our last season.  He''s always been complimentary about Norwich in other interviews.

In fact i saw him outside the ground before the Charlton match chattingto some City fans so it''s nice to know some ex players still take an interest.

decent teams vary the distrubution from the back.. how often do we defenders coming short for a ball from the keeper or a quick throw to a winger against us... yet oddly its always Hoof from our keepers...

Lack of ability? Lack of vision? who knows... suffice to say we need someone who has a bit of an eye open at times.

jas :)

To be fair i would have been happy to have Greeno hoofing the ball all season this year rather than Marshalls useless place kicks/back passes that went straight to forward and cost us goals!!

He did a piece in this months'' GQ too, where he mentioned Norwich in a negative light. I''ll type it up later if I get a minute.

"I remember times at norwich when I''d get slaughtered by the fans for kicking it long all the time. But, if people don''t want the ball then you don''t have much choice".

I always thought that Norwich liked to play the ball from the back or have times changed up there?"

Haven''t you just answered your own question there?

In fairness to Green he was quite right in that absolutely nobody wanted the ball back then apart from Hucks who clearly wasn''t going to win a long punt in the air. I can''t remember anyone slaughtering him though except on the odd occassion were we needed to win games and Green would just stand there or boot it out to touch

Robert Green in this month''s GQ:Why I Chose Norwich City"I had trials at a few London clubs such as Spurs and Crystal Palace, but I chose Norwich because it had a successful academy. When I visited, they showed me a picture of the first team and half of them had graduated from the academy. I wanted to be a pro and that made it seem possible."Why I Left Norwich City"When I first moved to Norwich I thought it was great. I know lots of people immediately think of Alan Partridge, but it was a great town for me after leaving home. After I''d been there for 12 years I decided to leave. Norwich were no longer in the Premiership and I felt like I needed a new challenge. However, the manager wanted £4m for me - a ridiculous amount of money for a Championship goalkeeper. It really annoyed me. After giving so much service to the team, I felt let down and unappreciated. That was the final straw for me."Why I chose West Ham"I was going to go to Charlton, but then Alan Pardew called me from West Ham. He really sold the club to me, explained how important I could be, and fired my enthusiasn. After the way Norwich had treated me, it felt good to be wanted."He goes on to talk about not being picked for Enlgand how that doesn''t bother him anymore, as well as climbing Kilimanjaro for AMREF last year being his proudest ever achievement. Bit cheeky of him to hold a grudge just because Norwich tried to get as much as they could for him - football is a world of business afterall - what did he expect, we just give him away for free because he had been a good keeper for us?

What an arse. I always spoke highly of greeno but now he has slated us i will never forgive him! and why was he moaning about the transfer fee? he gets a percentage of it!

He''s got a point IMO, 12 years of service then demanding £4 million for a championship keeper. if we were in the prem and wanted to sign a keeper from The Champ and were quoted £4 million people here would be up in arms.

Did he even like the fans? I thought we always treated him well with respect. I can see why he''s pissed at the administration, but honestly... who isn''t right now... :P

Iwan Roberts doesn''t speak too highly of Green in his book. Says quite a few times that he''s very antisocial and regularly turns his back on his team-mates.

When I used to live near the Rose Tavern, Greeno would be in there most Saturday nights with his own pals regardless if we''d played at home or away or won or lost.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

Iwan Roberts doesn''t speak too highly of Green in his book. Says quite a few times that he''s very antisocial and regularly turns his back on his team-mates.

When I used to live near the Rose Tavern, Greeno would be in there most Saturday nights with his own pals regardless if we''d played at home or away or won or lost.

[/quote]

" Says quite a few times that he''s very antisocial and regularly turns his back on his team-mates."

That''s not exactly true is it Chunky??  There is a section where Iwan talks about organising days and nights out and he says Gary Holt keeps himself to himself and doesn''t often go and that Greeno had lived in Norwich for quite a while so he had lots of local mates that he''d go out with rather than his team mates.  But nowhere does it mention him ''turning his back'' on his team mates!

I know for a fact that Greeno and the rest of the players from the championship winnning team would only occassionly go out if they lost a match as Worthy would actively  discourage them from doing so.  Then again that side didn''t use to lose too many so people didn''t mind as much if they were out after a defeat.

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[/quote]

" Says quite a few times that he''s very antisocial and regularly turns his back on his team-mates."

That''s not exactly true is it Chunky??  There is a section where Iwan talks about organising days and nights out and he says Gary Holt keeps himself to himself and doesn''t often go and that Greeno had lived in Norwich for quite a while so he had lots of local mates that he''d go out with rather than his team mates.  But nowhere does it mention him ''turning his back'' on his team mates!

I know for a fact that Greeno and the rest of the players from the championship winnning team would only occassionly go out if they lost a match as Worthy would actively  discourage them from doing so.  Then again that side didn''t use to lose too many so people didn''t mind as much if they were out after a defeat.

[/quote]

Maybe I''m wrong but from the stuff I know, he''s always come across to me as somebody who isn''t like your ''normal'' stereotypical footballer.  Seems to keep himself to himself and is a bit more level headed.  Whether its because he''s a goalkeeper or because that''s simply his personality I don''t know.  I''ve got more respect for him after his mountain climbing expeditions.  He didn''t have to do it, but he gave it go.

The fans always got on well with him until the last few weeks of 2005-6.  It would be a shame if that soured everything he''d done before.

[quote user="JJ"]

Maybe I''m wrong but from the stuff I know, he''s always come across to me as somebody who isn''t like your ''normal'' stereotypical footballer.  Seems to keep himself to himself and is a bit more level headed.  Whether its because he''s a goalkeeper or because that''s simply his personality I don''t know.  I''ve got more respect for him after his mountain climbing expeditions.  He didn''t have to do it, but he gave it go.

The fans always got on well with him until the last few weeks of 2005-6.  It would be a shame if that soured everything he''d done before.

[/quote]I agree - we got him for nothing - got years of good service and a decent transfer fee when he left.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[/quote]

which page of the book does this appear on.. the extra one you wrote yourself?

jas :)

Isn''t it weird to think Worthington is the only person who has managed to get us playing football as we''d really like.