Sign in to follow this  
birdman

Beckford

Good news Beckford is leaving Leeds, I know he will not be coming our way but this will weaken one of our rivals.

Think he believes he is premiership quality but in truth, he is a very good League 1 player and not much else.

Fantastic news.....for Wealdstone, my "other" club who have a sizeable sell on clause (either 20% or 25%) of the profit Leeds make.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]

[quote user="Destort"]This is good news if true.. where is he going?[/quote]

They have transfer listed him.

[/quote]Trying to cash in on him I''d imagine.

Excellent news, he''s been brilliant for them the last 2 seasons, and will be near enough impossible for them to replace. I think he''s definately good enough for the championship and probably the premiership too. I''ve seen him a few times and he just seems bored with league 1 as he''s too good. It means he gets cocky, but i think the step up will sort him out. If i was Owen Coyle, he''d be first on my list. Wonder what leeds will do to replace him, they''ve got Becchio, but need a decent striker as well as him. Maybe we''ll keep clinkers and beat them to promotion, given their similar situations. Time to gamble Gunny!

[quote user="barryevans"]

[quote user="Destort"]This is good news if true.. where is he going?[/quote]

coventry

[/quote]Burnley

I''m hoping Everton take a chance on him.

I saw around fifty of Beckford’s appearances for Wealdstone, who play in the Ryman Premier League. He was outstanding at that level, scored a bundle of goals, was excellent with both feet, and good in the air. He did take a while to adjust at Leeds and was sent to Carlisle on loan for a while before ending at Scunthorpe as a loan replacement for Andy Keogh (I think). He and Carrow Road favourite Billy Sharpe scored plenty of goals between them in the season that Scunthorpe were promoted from League One.

A comparable player who also played in Ryman Premier at the same time was DJ Campbell. He moved to Brentford (from Yeading) and scored the winner in a cup match and was featured on Match of the Day. I saw Campbell play a few times and he was a very quick player, but from what I saw Beckford looked to be a much better all around player.

As regards how high Beckford can play, who knows? I know that most who post here will have seen him in last season’s play off final and the this year''s play-off loss vs Millwall, and both times he had poor games. He’s a much better player than that.

And one final comparison- this time to one of our players who also played in the Ryman Premier League, but for Dartford. It took Beckford a while to get used to League football, and he also had the good fortune to slot into a team who were at the top of League One. So when Cody finds it tough in his first season as a pro, as he may well do, let’s all give him some time to adjust. It’s a big step up.

Wigan have had him watched afew times last season, so shows people are prepared to take a risk, who knows he may even end up there

[quote user="First Wizard"]I know it was only one game I saw him in but he made the Doc look skilkful![/quote]He''s never played against Norwich in his career, you must be thinking of Tresor Kandol who is a real donkey.

This is what we should have done with Croft instead of letting his contract expire for the sake of one season.